onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

Carol hasn't done much wrong and an awful lot of good (to say the least) so we just have to trust her and the rest of the team to get this one right for PVFC.

It is a bit more important at the moment because of our poor league placing.

Anyone who has managed before will come with some baggage. You have to accept that. There are ghosts in all their cupboards, Askey and Adams included.

Only the younger, inexperienced coaches have no past managerial record. But are they too much of a gamble?

I don't necessarily think they are, though you could end up with Dennis Butler and looking forward to a nice trip to the seaside at Weymouth next year!

Points taken. Convinced that some signings were behind John's back. No way would McKirdy have fitted into the team style of play . Sinclair apparently was behind Robinson coming to the club and securing a two year wage and (rumoured) £2k a week. Whitehead seemed to be a steady player for Salford and cancelled last year of his contract to join Vale. Clark was brought back against John's wishes (apparently he was being disrespectful at annual awards presentation to him). So many incidences, rumours, skyllduggery.  Really truly feel sorry for the guy. Harshly treated at Shrewsbury where most of players departed after highly successful season (as well as Paul Hurst departing) and he had to bring in 16 players. Left Shrewsbury following home draw against money bags Salford but lasted longer than Hurst did at Ipswich.
Greatly respect John Askey and what he brought to the club. Makes me wonder why there is no clamour here in Sheffield from fans for sacking Chris Wilder with a record of two draws and fifteen defeats. He has the club in his heart and veins and the concensus is to keep him and rebuild.

Makes me wonder what sort of scouting system we have, or do we just rely on agents' offerings. As regards Wilder, he got them up and can do it again with parachute money to strengthen the squad. Big leap to the Premier for club away for a good while.

Vale fans love a good conspiracy theory don't they?

One person gives their opinion

10 people read this opinion and spread it to 10 more as 'fact'

Those 100 spread it to 10 more etc etc

Before long, nonsense is circulating as certitude.

Carol's son signing players? Sinclair signing players? Give me a break.

24 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Carol hasn't done much wrong and an awful lot of good (to say the least) so we just have to trust her and the rest of the team to get this one right for PVFC.

It is a bit more important at the moment because of our poor league placing.

Anyone who has managed before will come with some baggage. You have to accept that. There are ghosts in all their cupboards, Askey and Adams included.

Only the younger, inexperienced coaches have no past managerial record. But are they too much of a gamble?

I don't necessarily think they are, though you could end up with Dennis Butler and looking forward to a nice trip to the seaside at Weymouth next year!

Don’t mention that name! I’ve just come out in a cold sweat!

22 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

the old chinese whispers i guess:dizzy:

Obviously, an 'R' Rate of more than 1!

Gary brabin anybody??? ... did a great job when assistant manager/1st team coach... when Tranmere got promoted to div 1the manager at the time (Micky Mellon) said that all the credit and plaudits should go to brabin who transformed the whole structure of the club...

17 minutes ago, shanghai al said:

Gary brabin anybody??? ... did a great job when assistant manager/1st team coach... when Tranmere got promoted to div 1the manager at the time (Micky Mellon) said that all the credit and plaudits should go to brabin who transformed the whole structure of the club...

Gary Brabin with Dave Kevan as assistant!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

As terrible as whitehead as been, there's an element of me that thinks maybe he could improve under a new manager. I mean are we trusting Askey to have gotten the best out of him? In a formation that never changes unless it collapses due to red cards or being behind with a few minutes to go. 

I think the fact that so many players were better last season than this is a huge reason why the pressure ramped up on Askey so quickly.

I'm not saying that Whitehead is any good, or that he should be playing etc...and obviously you'd say that Askey should have known how to get the best out of Whitehead from their time at Macc...But it's possible in my view that just haven't seen Whitehead operate at his best yet. Still, I'd snap anyones hand off who wanted to take him and pay his wages mind.

Don’t think he will improve under any manager personally 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Were there no other options which Askey preferred after Maynard fell through?

Happy to be corrected on this, but at that point (end of August), I assume there weren't any better options. Still think signing Theo, whilst it admittedly hasn't worked out (yet, who knows, may get another chance under a new manager with a different style?) isn't as bad a decision as the consensus on here suggests. He's certainly not the 'worst striker we've ever had' as I've seen written, just look at the strikers in our squads in the last decade; certainly not many of them who have 100 league goals to their name like Theo has (Pope, Hughes and Marc Richards are the only ones who spring to mind, have I missed anyone?).

Whitehead is another baffling one who on paper looks decent, but certainly hasn't done himself justice in the last month or two and thus looks like a poor acquisition. Askey is probably as baffled as anyone as to why he's played so poorly, given he performed well for him before. That's on top of him previously having been signed by West Ham and Wigan (both of whom he must have impressed to some degree) and having been played over 50 times (irrespective of who signed him for Salford) by Graham Alexander, who plenty of people on here clearly think is a good enough judge of a player to be our next manager.

I'd be happy to see him here too if he doesn't get the Motherwell job, also would be more than happy with a couple of others who have been linked with that post, namely Derek Adams, Tommy Wright (if he'd head this far south) or Simon Grayson. I'm assuming the Cowleys, Cook and Parkinson will be looking for League 1 or above if they can? Happy to take any of those if they're willing though.

Still conflicted as to whether or not Askey should have been given a few more games with some of our best players coming back to fitness, especially given it's only the last couple of months where it's all unravelled, and you don't become a bad manager overnight. It's also not the new signings that have let him down as much for me as the players who did so well last year, not just Legge and Joyce seemingly hitting the wall at the same inconvenient time, (as well as stupidly getting themselves sent off), but Smith, Burgess, Cullen, and obviously Clark who were all quality for us in 19/20 but have been average or worse this year.

However I do feel that the calm head of Askey's that we all valued up until a couple of months also comes with a flip-side, meaning he has been too passive at times, both when games have turned away from us and also in halting the recent bad runs, being too careful not to upset the perceived balance of things. He is also thus perhaps not the person to be sufficiently ruthless when required in dealing with any off-the-field issues, although he seemed to get a reasonable grip when he joined, ushering out Miller and Whitfield.

So yes, grateful for what John did for us in the majority of his time here, and whilst I think the players have to take more responsibility for where we are, it's a struggle to objectively conclude that the decision to part with him after Barrow and Mansfield was the wrong one. Whoever comes in next, I hope we don't start off by suggesting how underwhelmed we are by them if it's not an established 'experienced' name. Let's try a bit of positivity and a bit less hyperbole for a change.

3 hours ago, Nightwish said:

Makes me wonder why there is no clamour here in Sheffield from fans for sacking Chris Wilder with a record of two draws and fifteen defeats. He has the club in his heart and veins and the concensus is to keep him and rebuild.

Wilder also secured back to back promotions and an incredibly high finish in the PL last season. Watching Sheff Utd games this season his players are giving there all for him.

Its just not comparable.

Archived