onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

5 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Some won't, some will be. But my biggest gripe from this since it was announced was thinking that Pugh was as good as manager. That doesn't seem to be the case with what's been said so I'm now more open to it, although I still want an actual manager in charge asap. We should be building towards next season on the pitch now, not just once this season has ended. I get the feeling some people seem happy to just let this season peter out as long as we just about survive.

*recognizes his initial reaction may have been a little OTT 😂.

Pleased that Flitcroft has arrived and enjoyed listening to his comments on the interview.

Hopefully the new manager/head coach will be appointed fairly soon, so that we have somebody competent picking the team and sat in the dugout on matchdays making substitutions, tactical decisions, etc. (assuming that Flitcroft won't be involved with any of that?)

2 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Some won't, some will be. But my biggest gripe from this since it was announced was thinking that Pugh was as good as manager. That doesn't seem to be the case with what's been said so I'm now more open to it, although I still want an actual manager in charge asap. We should be building towards next season on the pitch now, not just once this season has ended. I get the feeling some people seem happy to just let this season peter out as long as we just about survive.

We have an actual football manager in charge of building towards next season,  the new manager will have to be compatible with his philosophy. In the short term Flinty and Pugh need to get their heads together to improve results

He comes across as very articulate and informed on the Youtube video. As someone pointed out though he will obviously say all the right things on his first day of employment.

Having taken time to digest it all and my initial bemusement i've warmed to it more.

You can't dismiss people's worries though by just accusing them of being whingers. There are some very valid points made.

Finance is the big one for me, where is the money coming from, Carol must have incredibly deep pockets and we thank her for that.

I know he has many detractors on here but Tyler makes a good point, it narrows the field down for a new manager, surely it has to ?

I'm talking pie in the sky here, but imagine Cowley being told that Flitcroft will be recruiting players and not him ? Does it undermine the new manager or opposingly make the new person a Yes man ? Tyler was valid in his point.

Interesting how it all pans out. I obviously wish them great success and now i'm in my 50's i'd love even one more season in The Championship before i go to the Bycars in the sky. Maybe this is the way forward i certainly hope so.

The cynic in me says Flitcroft will be the manger in 18 months because we all know if we aren't in the top 7 come November next season the knives will be out again !! 

Good luck with it and fingers crossed we have a team to be proud of quite soon. 

For me, if we intend to blood younger players, have better recruitment, less injuries, improved player ability both in mind and application linked to the ownerships vision, this appointment was required.

Pugh is only 38 and possibly both to close to the players and inexperienced as a manager but evidently a super coach.

Get the right combination in with DF and this removes Carol from the difficult football decisions but concentrated on the whole business? 
DF sounds good, let’s hope he walks the walk?

Will fully support the move as we seem to have inner issues to deal with.

For me, Carol needs applause for this. 

I don't just mean appointing Flitcroft but her long term vision for the club.

Sometimes, as fans, we only see the here and now. We want good results now! Of course we do.

She obviously spends a lot time reflecting on how things have gone and is dogmatic about her long term vision of success. Of course, nothing is guaranteed but we have a plan. As fans we’ll need to be a little patient, maybe?

Another key point for me is that it gives a clear message to those players who are ‘not trying’ ‘bad eggs’  or simply ‘not good enough’ that eventually you are going to get ‘weeded out’. 

As other have said, she’s trying to break the cycle of ‘Let’s just appoint another manager’ ‘willy nilly. I feel that more thought is going into our future.

25 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

False.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/january/club-statement/

"Colin Garlick, as Chief Executive Officer, will continue driving forward the football side of the business".

It's incorrect that Colin Garlick is some sort of admin guy. It's been his job for 4 years to improve the football side of Port Vale - which he has failed miserably.

I wonder where this leaves him now? His role is basically redundant after appointing a Director of Football.

And what is Rudgey's role now?

Hopefully the Sentinel will answer these questions (ha!).

Rudgy is President, at his age a matter of keeping active and imparting wisdom.

I like this idea. We're thinking bigger than L2.

With the new salary cap, we can only spend a certain amount on the playing side can't we?

So let's say we 'could' have had  a £1.8m budget, but we're capped at £1.5m, we would potentially have £300,000 to play with which I imagine is where the budget for the DoF has come from?

Correct me if I'm wrong on the numbers!

21 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Then lo and behold 16 hours before the appointment of Flitcroft we have people saying its a Director of Football coming in.

The press conference announcement was called out of the blue yesterday and people speculating it would be a new manager and possibly a new managerial set-up on social media.

Doesn't necessarily mean it was leaked. I think this was more a case of throwing enough theories around and one if them will eventually be right.

Just now, MBE said:

The press conference announcement was called out of the blue yesterday and people speculating it would be a new manager and possibly a new managerial set-up on social media.

Doesn't necessarily mean it was leaked. I think this was more a case of throwing enough theories around and one if them will eventually be right.

Do you not think though that there is a clear pattern emerging ?

Personally i find it random a DOF was mentioned on top of lots of other rumours, umpteen were in fact not rumours but the truth. 

Well, I like it. I’m guessing the new manager will be a younger, less experienced man, ready to learn from Flitcroft. Someone said earlier that the football club shouldn’t be like a school but I disagree. Everyone should be learning. I guess the idea will be that the new manager will learn, do well and move on. And then we’ll replace and the cycle will begin again. Sounds exciting to me. 

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

There will also be occasions when the club itself engineers the leak. Perhaps to prepare the ground. Given the way one or two of our more...excitable clientele reacted, not always a bad idea.

6 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

For me, Carol needs applause for this. 

I don't just mean appointing Flitcroft but her long term vision for the club.

Sometimes, as fans, we only see the here and now. We want good results now! Of course we do.

She obviously spends a lot time reflecting on how things have gone and is dogmatic about her long term vision of success. Of course, nothing is guaranteed but we have a plan. As fans we’ll need to be a little patient, maybe?

Another key point for me is that it gives a clear message to those players who are ‘not trying’ ‘bad eggs’  or simply ‘not good enough’ that eventually you are going to get ‘weeded out’. 

As other have said, she’s trying to break the cycle of ‘Let’s just appoint another manager’ ‘willy nilly. I feel that more thought is going into our future.

If it wasn't for a couple of truly abysmal sides we would quite possibly be relegation contenders this season. I don't think it's a bad thing that a few people are genuinely as concerned about the present than they are the future and these "long-term" visions for the club.

Archived