onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

22 minutes ago, Ron C said:

We are 15th. We will not be going down. There's only one match where we have been hammered. By the very definition of competitive, we can compete.

Certainly the club is in a lot better position than we were before he arrived.

We’ve been awful all season. Just because we haven’t been hammered Dosent mean we haven’t deserved to lose games. I guess it’s acceptable to just keep losing then every week as long as we don’t get hammered. We’ve been awful in and awful league. Askey had to go and imo was weeks too late. 

Rubbish results, performances, tactics, subs, signings ect. 

Advert

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Every side has injuries. We’ve been rubbish.

Can't argue with that. We've been competitively rubbish, too.

We won't go down. You couldn't say that when he arrived. Aspin had a much bigger budget, too.

1 hour ago, Ron C said:

You'll see how awful he was in coming months. So will I.

I contend that he was better than Flitcroft. I also think that he did a very solid job. Other clubs did not panic when they went on awful runs and are coming through it. I didn't enjoy the run but I could see we are in a much better position than when he joined and that includes the budget being tightened compared to previous seasons and compared to the division.

You keep feeling good about where we are at. I think that is because of where he put us and what we could move on to.

I don't think Flitcroft is the answer and I don't think this episode puts Carol in a good light at all.

We have a squad that can compete.

No we saw all season how awful he was! 

Yes they did. Lots of clubs have sacked managers after poor runs (shorter poor runs than ours). 

Askey isn’t in the same league as someone like flitcroft. 

We don’t have a squad that can compete we have seen that this season. We have an ok first 11, the actual squad isn’t good enough and that’s due to some terrible signings from askey. 

Better than where we started? Not much (on the pitch) off the pitch we are however that isn’t down to him than is down to the owner. 

Askey did well to keep us up but we didn’t progress we have stood still and signed poor player after poor player. Look at where we are if that’s good enough for port vale then we might as well call it a night. 

3 minutes ago, Ron C said:

Can't argue with that. We've been competitively rubbish, too.

We won't go down. You couldn't say that when he arrived. Aspin had a much bigger budget, too.

We don’t go down I agree. But I’d say that’s down to how bad Grimsby and Southend are rather than anything positive from our side. No idea on budgets but we haven’t signed correctly. Even if we have a smaller budget it’s generally been wasted on non league players. 

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

We’ve been awful all season. Just because we haven’t been hammered Dosent mean we haven’t deserved to lose games. I guess it’s acceptable to just keep losing then every week as long as we don’t get hammered. We’ve been awful in and awful league. Askey had to go and imo was weeks too late. 

Rubbish results, performances, tactics, subs, signings ect. 

Which club have you managed? Remind me.

You seem to think that being 15th is rubbish. You certainly paint a bleak picture. I'd be left to assume that we're that awful that we'd be bottom, but we're not. I can only assume you know no more than anyone else or that perhaps football works on some other measurable that you've omitted. 

I trust you've got your application in so Carol can save thousands and many hours by just appointing you.

Table doesn't lie. No we don't.
Don't get a very good 1st choice 11 mixed up with a the squad - 2 very different things. The number of players we have had missing through injury and covid have demonstrated the squad overall is poor. Too many non league players outside of the 1st choice 11.

We may have had to test our squad depth more than a lot of teams in the league having played more games than most and only having started to claw some back through January.

We also missed out on players through Covid where some other clubs had games abandoned. Perhaps due to better protocols at our club than others.

I'm not arguing that this is the reason behind our poor form but the benefit of missing just a few midweek games is not something to be ignored but is often forgotten.

Our defence has suffered this year. Our defenders were often the ones who played in both the league and cup competitions.

Hopefully we may benefit from having a few more 1 game weeks in the second half of the season and some of the teams in and around us may suffer with more hectic schedules.

Just now, Ron C said:

Which club have you managed? Remind me.

You seem to think that being 15th is rubbish. You certainly paint a bleak picture. I'd be left to assume that we're that awful that we'd be bottom, but we're not. I can only assume you know no more than anyone else or that perhaps football works on some other measurable that you've omitted. 

I trust you've got your application in so Carol can save thousands and many hours by just appointing you.

😂😂Didn’t know this was about me? What a pointless comment. Since when have I or anyone on here declared we should be the manager? 

Sorry 15th in league two is amazing... at least we’re not 8th like carol said ey. 

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Askey did well to keep us up but we didn’t progress we have stood still and signed poor player after poor player. Look at where we are if that’s good enough for port vale then we might as well call it a night. 

Didn't progress?

The in-form club pre-lockdown. Edge of the playoffs. That WAS progress.

This year has been a backward step. Undeniable.

Criticise by all means but keep it sensible.

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

😂😂Didn’t know this was about me? What a pointless comment. Since when have I or anyone on here declared we should be the manager? 

Sorry 15th in league two is amazing... at least we’re not 8th like carol said ey. 

Pointless?
You seem to have all the answers. You made it about you with your scathing criticism.

Get that application in. I'm sure you have all the answers.

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Look at Flitcrofts management history he is very active when it comes to buying and selling players. He likes to throw other ppls money about and that doesn’t always achieve success. The blokes nothing but a mercenary and I don’t want us to end up like Bury or Mansfield. He likes a champagne budget, which it turned out Bury didn’t have and I’m not so sure that Mansfield have anymore either. I don’t want our club to end up like those others and before you go on about his success, remember those clubs also sacked him. Carols in charge of the purse strings and there’s an Egyptian proverb that says, ‘if you think throwing money at a problem will sort it, then you haven’t thought about solving the problem’. To be our manager would mean that he’d have to have a good relationship with ppl at the club and as the club has stated that we’d know the manager by now this leads me to believe that things aren’t straight forward. For me he’s had his chance and if we aren’t good enough for him perhaps because we won’t give in to his demands then fine, I wish him all the best but let’s move on. 

Once again - he didn't have a lot of money at Chorley! And, yes - that's non-League football, but he had a non-League team with non-League budget, playing against teams at the same level and did very well. My Chorley-supporting friend says when Flitcroft left he left Chorley in great shape - as I guess could be seen from their Cup run this season? Money isn't everything - sometimes success is down to talent, preparation, knowledge and hard work?

13 minutes ago, Ron C said:

Didn't progress?

The in-form club pre-lockdown. Edge of the playoffs. That WAS progress.

This year has been a backward step. Undeniable.

Criticise by all means but keep it sensible.

Was. Look where we are. Progressing and then regressing to where we started isnt progress. 

17 minutes ago, Ron C said:

Pointless?
You seem to have all the answers. You made it about you with your scathing criticism.

Get that application in. I'm sure you have all the answers.

No I don’t understand why me and others criticising a professional football manager means I could do a better job that’s not true. Decent on footy manager though 😂

You cannot deny how poor we were this season and how much askey got wrong. 

You obviously rated him, what do you think he / we did well this season? I liked him as a person but results and performances just weren’t close to being good enough this year and for me it was down to the transfer window 

Wait a few months with Pugh at the helm and see if the season finishes early - which it may well do.

dont pay flitcroft to sit doing very little for 6 months. He only needs to watch some ifollow tape for a few hours to see where the dead weight is and he can do that on the first day of summer.

7 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Once again - he didn't have a lot of money at Chorley! And, yes - that's non-League football, but he had a non-League team with non-League budget, playing against teams at the same level and did very well. My Chorley-supporting friend says when Flitcroft left he left Chorley in great shape - as I guess could be seen from their Cup run this season? Money isn't everything - sometimes success is down to talent, preparation, knowledge and hard work?

I think you’ll find that was Garry Flitcroft who left in 2015. A lot can happen in football in 5/6 years, ie Sunderland,Blackpool and Portsmouth, spring to mind. Therefore how can you attribute any success at a club to a manager who left so long ago. 
Can’t wait till the 2026 season when we’re in the Champuons League and are saying Askey started it all.

Archived