1 minute ago, TylerB said:

Cowley or Alexander for me. Wouldn't be against Micky Adams until the end of the season. He would get us going at least for half a season.

Do you think we have a realistic chance of getting Cowley?

• Like 1

Advert:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting responses on here to the latest development. I'd like to add some context. In the past TWENTY YEARS we have only achieved a top 7 finish in the league... ONCE. This was under MA

Check out wiki.  He's run the family business with his brother and father for 15 years and has his own football academy.  He's not been "just" a player and manager.  In view of the amount of crit

The meltdown on here is laughable.  Please can someone tell me the success we have had in appointing a manager since Micky left? None. Flitcroft being appointed DoF shows our long term visio

Posted Images

Just now, Iron Curtain said:

Stranger things have happened.

Who would think it was actually possible to be in this position after the first couple of games of the season?

Id say carol has a week to make a decision on who is going to get the role. Swift action is needed if its done within the week then the new man will have time to look at the squad and try and bring in a couple of signings if pughs gonna have the season again give him time to bring people in. The last thing we need is waiting until the end of january and bringing someone in stuck without people able to strengthen

Cowley flopped at Huddersfield so only has Lincoln success behind them; the idea that a Championship club would take them seems unlikely so it’s achievable.

Not sure if they would drop to L2 but we are a big fish at this level so one that had potential for a candidate to do something with over a few seasons

Advert:

2 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Cowley flopped at Huddersfield so only has Lincoln success behind them; the idea that a Championship club would take them seems unlikely so it’s achievable.

Not sure if they would drop to L2 but we are a big fish at this level so one that had potential for a candidate to do something with over a few seasons

I think 'flopped' at Huddersfield is harsh - he kept them up when they were really struggling. They decided to go for another option in Corberan which looks to be a good move.

Cowley is not dropping to 17th in League 2. Neither is Paul Cook, who fans seem to mention.

I'm not even that sure we're that much of a big fish at this level. It's all about finances. Managers have little/no consideration of 'size' of club when they take a job on. They may roll out platitudes once appointed, mind.

6 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

We're not in normal times at the moment. We're a big League Two club with great owners, and work is work at the end of the day.

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

. Managers have little/no consideration of 'size' of club when they take a job on. They may roll out platitudes once appointed, mind.

Err, okay. 👀

32 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I’d be chuffed if we got him. 

me too - hes likely to want to come as well which is half the battle

Advert:

10 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I wouldnt say he flopped, they were a sinking ship and he kept them up and had some very positive moments in that season. I remember the football worlds being a little shocked when he was sacked.

I would see him a bit like Rowett Stoke, didn't do good things with that Shower, but recognised as good managers and got a decent job.

I would love to be wrong, but Cowley is unrealistic in my view.  He will have received a nice pay off so wont be desperate and will wait for a league 1 club minimum before getting back into management.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Err, okay. 👀

They're looking at 

1) wages

2) transfer budget

3) backing from owners

4) ability of squad

I really don't think a manager is going to see us as a 'big fish', and even if they did, it's hardly going to impact their decision making if another club is offering more money.

Edited by Joe B

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, davehartshill said:

Harsley is currently head of the Man City under 23’s side (or equivalent). Surely you don’t get a job like that without having something about you. Him being ex-Vale sort of makes me not want him, though as it never works out. 

With the resources and scouts Man City have got, I’d say most ex players would be able to do a job for them in the role he’s in. There’s not a chance we should want anyone like him. This appointment is massive and we can not get it wrong again. Experience please Carol. If you have some money. 

Edited by sandyford_valiant
  • Like 5

Whoever we appoint, it's a complete finger in the air job as to whether we will be another failure on their CV, or that rare success. There are 3 things for certain though:

1. Death.
2. Taxes.
3. Vale fans moaning

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Advert:

I'd drive them here myself but I can't see the Cowley brothers wanting to start again at the fag end of league two. Nor do we have bottomless pockets.

They did not fail at Huddersfield. They kept them up (which was their brief) and had a long term plan to move the Club forward. Most Terriers' fans (I know quite a few) were shocked when they got ditched because they felt they'd done what they were asked and should have stayed longer. But the Chairman wanted a more expansive playing style and a different approach. But they were a success at the Town and definitely didn't fail there.

What they did at Lincoln was amazing. You might not like their style but they created a well drilled, physically strong outfit, that swept all before it as they came up from non league. I can't see them struggling to get work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Cowley or Alexander for me. Wouldn't be against Micky Adams until the end of the season. He would get us going at least for half a season.

What makes you think he would?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

Alexander has now become favourite on sky bet

Makes no difference the odds really as he is odds on to be motherwell manager with the bookies