Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Ron C said:

I contend that he was better than Flitcroft. I also think that he did a very solid job. Other clubs did not panic when they went on awful runs and are coming through it. I didn't enjoy the run but I could see we are in a much better position than when he joined and that includes the budget being tightened compared to previous seasons and compared to the division.

Clubs don't panic they make decisive changes when required.e.g. Mansfield,Tranmere. How many clubs lose the number of games on the spin and keep the manager? I don't think 2 wins in 17 games is a panic decision. 

We are pretty much in the same position as when Askey took over.  

18 minutes ago, Ron C said:

We have a squad that can compete.

Table doesn't lie. No we don't.

Don't get a very good 1st choice 11 mixed up with a the squad - 2 very different things. The number of players we have had missing through injury and covid have demonstrated the squad overall is poor. Too many non league players outside of the 1st choice 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting responses on here to the latest development. I'd like to add some context. In the past TWENTY YEARS we have only achieved a top 7 finish in the league... ONCE. This was under MA

Check out wiki.  He's run the family business with his brother and father for 15 years and has his own football academy.  He's not been "just" a player and manager.  In view of the amount of crit

The meltdown on here is laughable.  Please can someone tell me the success we have had in appointing a manager since Micky left? None. Flitcroft being appointed DoF shows our long term visio

Posted Images

I agree we gave him 5 games longer tham he should have had. Yes we did have our better players out injured but the back up squad put in place by Askey was not up to it


Most clubs would have got rid of Askey sooner than we did imo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Askey was one dimensional which didn't work. No plan B or c or d. He couldn't react effectively (or at all) to the changing situations during a game. 

 

He's gone now, so wish him well and move on. This is a thread about the new manager. 

The managers job is THE most important position in a football club. Micky Adams proved that because we were a right mess off the pitch during his time/s here. 

The club is stable and healthy behind the scenes now, thanks to C&K.

We can afford to be patient now because we're almost certain to finish mid table. The right manager with the right philosophy at the right price. 

Bet I won't be saying anything like that after our next defeat! 😄 I'm always calm and relaxed on a Friday evening! 😊

UTV! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:


Most clubs would have got rid of Askey sooner than we did imo

And some would have been patient and given him more time. Can't sack a manager every time the form drops. How many teams are doing well who keep sacking managers and changing players? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

Askey was one dimensional which didn't work. No plan B or c or d. He couldn't react effectively (or at all) to the changing situations during a game. 

 

He's gone now, so wish him well and move on. This is a thread about the new manager. 

The managers job is THE most important position in a football club. Micky Adams proved that because we were a right mess off the pitch during his time/s here. 

The club is stable and healthy behind the scenes now, thanks to C&K.

We can afford to be patient now because we're almost certain to finish mid table. The right manager with the right philosophy at the right price. 

Bet I won't be saying anything like that after our next defeat! 😄 I'm always calm and relaxed on a Friday evening! 😊

UTV! 

Sadly, I don't feel we are as stable any more.

The rubbish that Carol has come out with since the sacking. The lack of stability, publicly, during the run. The interview on RS. The cutting of the budget, which we have all given her a free ride on. I've lost some faith. I don't like criticising but she is looking like she doesn't really know what she is doing at the moment. She is learning and I am still glad that she is here.

We could have been more patient with JA. I honestly do not see some great hero walking in here with this budget. We will not get someone proven. Would we ever? We will have to be lucky. I don't see that as an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


29 minutes ago, MBE said:

Table doesn't lie. No we don't.

We are 15th. We will not be going down. There's only one match where we have been hammered. By the very definition of competitive, we can compete.

Certainly the club is in a lot better position than we were before he arrived.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ron C said:

Sadly, I don't feel we are as stable any more.

The rubbish that Carol has come out with since the sacking. The lack of stability, publicly, during the run. The interview on RS. The cutting of the budget, which we have all given her a free ride on. I've lost some faith. I don't like criticising but she is looking like she doesn't really know what she is doing at the moment. She is learning and I am still glad that she is here.

We could have been more patient with JA. I honestly do not see some great hero walking in here with this budget. We will not get someone proven. Would we ever? We will have to be lucky. I don't see that as an improvement.

Ahhhh well. Can’t please everyone.

Never mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron C said:

Because we are.

It would be better, injuries, form, etc....we'll be fine in the end just as we would always have been.

Every side has injuries. We’ve been rubbish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ron C said:

We are 15th. We will not be going down. There's only one match where we have been hammered. By the very definition of competitive, we can compete.

Certainly the club is in a lot better position than we were before he arrived.

We’ve been awful all season. Just because we haven’t been hammered Dosent mean we haven’t deserved to lose games. I guess it’s acceptable to just keep losing then every week as long as we don’t get hammered. We’ve been awful in and awful league. Askey had to go and imo was weeks too late. 
 

Rubbish results, performances, tactics, subs, signings ect. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Every side has injuries. We’ve been rubbish.

Can't argue with that. We've been competitively rubbish, too.

We won't go down. You couldn't say that when he arrived. Aspin had a much bigger budget, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


1 hour ago, Ron C said:

You'll see how awful he was in coming months. So will I.

I contend that he was better than Flitcroft. I also think that he did a very solid job. Other clubs did not panic when they went on awful runs and are coming through it. I didn't enjoy the run but I could see we are in a much better position than when he joined and that includes the budget being tightened compared to previous seasons and compared to the division.

You keep feeling good about where we are at. I think that is because of where he put us and what we could move on to.

I don't think Flitcroft is the answer and I don't think this episode puts Carol in a good light at all.

We have a squad that can compete.

No we saw all season how awful he was! 
 

Yes they did. Lots of clubs have sacked managers after poor runs (shorter poor runs than ours). 
 

Askey isn’t in the same league as someone like flitcroft. 
 

We don’t have a squad that can compete we have seen that this season. We have an ok first 11, the actual squad isn’t good enough and that’s due to some terrible signings from askey. 
 

Better than where we started? Not much (on the pitch) off the pitch we are however that isn’t down to him than is down to the owner. 
 

Askey did well to keep us up but we didn’t progress we have stood still and signed poor player after poor player. Look at where we are if that’s good enough for port vale then we might as well call it a night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ron C said:

Can't argue with that. We've been competitively rubbish, too.

We won't go down. You couldn't say that when he arrived. Aspin had a much bigger budget, too.

We don’t go down I agree. But I’d say that’s down to how bad Grimsby and Southend are rather than anything positive from our side. No idea on budgets but we haven’t signed correctly. Even if we have a smaller budget it’s generally been wasted on non league players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

We’ve been awful all season. Just because we haven’t been hammered Dosent mean we haven’t deserved to lose games. I guess it’s acceptable to just keep losing then every week as long as we don’t get hammered. We’ve been awful in and awful league. Askey had to go and imo was weeks too late. 
 

Rubbish results, performances, tactics, subs, signings ect. 

Which club have you managed? Remind me.

You seem to think that being 15th is rubbish. You certainly paint a bleak picture. I'd be left to assume that we're that awful that we'd be bottom, but we're not. I can only assume you know no more than anyone else or that perhaps football works on some other measurable that you've omitted. 

I trust you've got your application in so Carol can save thousands and many hours by just appointing you.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Table doesn't lie. No we don't.
Don't get a very good 1st choice 11 mixed up with a the squad - 2 very different things. The number of players we have had missing through injury and covid have demonstrated the squad overall is poor. Too many non league players outside of the 1st choice 11.


We may have had to test our squad depth more than a lot of teams in the league having played more games than most and only having started to claw some back through January.


We also missed out on players through Covid where some other clubs had games abandoned. Perhaps due to better protocols at our club than others.


I'm not arguing that this is the reason behind our poor form but the benefit of missing just a few midweek games is not something to be ignored but is often forgotten.


Our defence has suffered this year. Our defenders were often the ones who played in both the league and cup competitions.


Hopefully we may benefit from having a few more 1 game weeks in the second half of the season and some of the teams in and around us may suffer with more hectic schedules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ron C said:

Which club have you managed? Remind me.

You seem to think that being 15th is rubbish. You certainly paint a bleak picture. I'd be left to assume that we're that awful that we'd be bottom, but we're not. I can only assume you know no more than anyone else or that perhaps football works on some other measurable that you've omitted. 

I trust you've got your application in so Carol can save thousands and many hours by just appointing you.

😂😂Didn’t know this was about me? What a pointless comment. Since when have I or anyone on here declared we should be the manager? 
 

Sorry 15th in league two is amazing... at least we’re not 8th like carol said ey. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Askey did well to keep us up but we didn’t progress we have stood still and signed poor player after poor player. Look at where we are if that’s good enough for port vale then we might as well call it a night. 

Didn't progress?

The in-form club pre-lockdown. Edge of the playoffs. That WAS progress.

This year has been a backward step. Undeniable.

Criticise by all means but keep it sensible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

😂😂Didn’t know this was about me? What a pointless comment. Since when have I or anyone on here declared we should be the manager? 
 

Sorry 15th in league two is amazing... at least we’re not 8th like carol said ey. 

Pointless?
You seem to have all the answers. You made it about you with your scathing criticism.

Get that application in. I'm sure you have all the answers.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Look at Flitcrofts management history he is very active when it comes to buying and selling players. He likes to throw other ppls money about and that doesn’t always achieve success. The blokes nothing but a mercenary and I don’t want us to end up like Bury or Mansfield. He likes a champagne budget, which it turned out Bury didn’t have and I’m not so sure that Mansfield have anymore either. I don’t want our club to end up like those others and before you go on about his success, remember those clubs also sacked him. Carols in charge of the purse strings and there’s an Egyptian proverb that says, ‘if you think throwing money at a problem will sort it, then you haven’t thought about solving the problem’. To be our manager would mean that he’d have to have a good relationship with ppl at the club and as the club has stated that we’d know the manager by now this leads me to believe that things aren’t straight forward. For me he’s had his chance and if we aren’t good enough for him perhaps because we won’t give in to his demands then fine, I wish him all the best but let’s move on. 

Once again - he didn't have a lot of money at Chorley! And, yes - that's non-League football, but he had a non-League team with non-League budget, playing against teams at the same level and did very well. My Chorley-supporting friend says when Flitcroft left he left Chorley in great shape - as I guess could be seen from their Cup run this season? Money isn't everything - sometimes success is down to talent, preparation, knowledge and hard work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...