Advert:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting responses on here to the latest development. I'd like to add some context. In the past TWENTY YEARS we have only achieved a top 7 finish in the league... ONCE. This was under MA

Check out wiki.  He's run the family business with his brother and father for 15 years and has his own football academy.  He's not been "just" a player and manager.  In view of the amount of crit

The meltdown on here is laughable.  Please can someone tell me the success we have had in appointing a manager since Micky left? None. Flitcroft being appointed DoF shows our long term visio

Posted Images

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

In no way do I want to be the defender of Carol or Port Vale, and if I thought she was wrong I would say, I thought she worded her statement Re. The new manager incorrectly by giving false hope and deadlines

I tend to agree. The manager criteria set by Carol and Pugh not interested in the job statements are the biggest issue. Every manager linked or appointed questions will remain "How do they fit the criteria?"  and we all know Pugh certainly doesn't as he is no experience to measure against it. Look at the managers in the betting and how many fit all of the criteria? 

To be honest I think they have dug themselves in a hole where there will be a population of unhappy fans whoever they go with.

I really think though regardless of covid pressures the manager is the most important person to appoint and we should not be penny pinching. A new manager will make a huge difference to the outlook.

I have been a season ticket holder since 84. There are only 3 seasons I didn't and that was due to the manager.

1/ When we appointed Micheal Brown as I though it was a ridiculous penny pinching decision after his failure in L1.

2/ Neil Aspin. Loved the player but as a manger I was unimpressed with his record to bring him in. I thought it was a publicity stunt by Smurf to try and placate fans.

3/ Lee Sinnott. The cheapest of appointments you could ever imagine.I was fuming.

It just illustrates fans need someone to believe in. Not all season ticket holders will just keep buying regardless. 

You can build a quorum easily against any manager. As soon as the manager is out there is never agreement on a replacement.  When things go sour most fans can then say they always wanted someone else and the selection was a poor one. Then the merry-go-round starts all over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blackdog said:

Carol and Kevin have not built up their successful business by just spending and certainly not spending what they don't have, Carol will have a plan and as supporters we have got to support her vision and hope that the part of equation that is rarely mentioned; luck, comes good. 

Carol and Kevin built a successful business by also hiring competent, skilled staff. I doubt they would hire the cheapest programmers or consultants. They get the guys who can deliver. The same should apply to who they hire for Vale. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, valeblue said:

He was a leader !!!

He also has excellent experience of working with youth and community work as a major ambassador with Children In Need alongside Sir Jimmy back in the 80s. 

Ticks Carol’s boxes more than you think! 

Advert:

2 hours ago, MBE said:

I tend to agree. The manager criteria set by Carol and Pugh not interested in the job statements are the biggest issue. Every manager linked or appointed questions will remain "How do they fit the criteria?"  and we all know Pugh certainly doesn't as he is no experience to measure against it. Look at the managers in the betting and how many fit all of the criteria? 

To be honest I think they have dug themselves in a hole where there will be a population of unhappy fans whoever they go with.

I really think though regardless of covid pressures the manager is the most important person to appoint and we should not be penny pinching. A new manager will make a huge difference to the outlook.

I have been a season ticket holder since 84. There are only 3 seasons I didn't and that was due to the manager.

1/ When we appointed Micheal Brown as I though it was a ridiculous penny pinching decision after his failure in L1.

2/ Neil Aspin. Loved the player but as a manger I was unimpressed with his record to bring him in. I thought it was a publicity stunt by Smurf to try and placate fans.

3/ Lee Sinnott. The cheapest of appointments you could ever imagine.I was fuming.

It just illustrates fans need someone to believe in. Not all season ticket holders will just keep buying regardless. 

Would you not add Dean Glover to that list?

8 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Would you not add Dean Glover to that list?

Glover was never in charge during a pre-season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Birches Head Fred said:
15 hours ago, grand prix pants said:
Looks like the leaks have been plugged. Loving the silence!

Talking of Leek - I know for sure Neil Baker could do us a job.

Yes that well documented Stoke City Naughty 40 hooligan would be a great appointment !!!

10 hours ago, JRC said:

You can build a quorum easily against any manager. As soon as the manager is out there is never agreement on a replacement.  When things go sour most fans can then say they always wanted someone else and the selection was a poor one. Then the merry-go-round starts all over.

The best way to avoid this is to appoint a good manager so things don't go sour. Then those dastardly moaners will be flummoxed!

Edited by Joe B

54 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The best way to avoid this is to appoint a good manager so things don't go sour. Then those dastardly moaners will be flummoxed!

Despite what Pugh said about not being ready for the job and what carol said I’m afraid a few decent results in the next couple of weeks and I reckon Pugh will get the job I hope I’m wrong 

Advert:

57 minutes ago, Joe B said:

All experienced managers who are prepared to drop to league 2 are failed managers somewhere, or not experienced.  A good manager is one who has a good next season. At some point a bad season comes along. There are few chairmen who stick with a manager like Bratt did with Rudge. When Rudge went 12 league games without a win in 85/86 there were very few fans who didn't favour a change.

7 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Despite what Pugh said about not being ready for the job and what carol said I’m afraid a few decent results in the next couple of weeks and I reckon Pugh will get the job I hope I’m wrong 

If he does well he may well do. Be interesting to see how his 2 deadline day signings do. Guthrie and Taylor were on the cards before Askey left. I assume the other 2 are more players he has elected to sign.

32 minutes ago, JRC said:

All experienced managers who are prepared to drop to league 2 are failed managers somewhere, or not experienced.  A good manager is one who has a good next season. At some point a bad season comes along. There are few chairmen who stick with a manager like Bratt did with Rudge. When Rudge went 12 league games without a win in 85/86 there were very few fans who didn't favour a change.

Bratt did with Rudge?Bratt changed managers more than he changed his socks.Billy BELL,JRC.😉

3 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Bratt did with Rudge?Bratt changed managers more than he changed his socks.Billy BELL,JRC.😉

I meant to write Bell ... althougg he did eventually sack Rudge.

52 minutes ago, JRC said:

There will always be dissent, as you're polling the views of 4000 different people with very different views on how the world works.

A good appointment will quickly win them all over.

• Like 2

Advert:

58 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I am of the same view. Not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, but just the gut feeling I get.

38 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I am of the same view. Not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, but just the gut feeling I get.

I'd be okay with that providing it was made clear it was until the end of the season only and a good appointment would be made then.

If Pugh did manage some extraordinary winning run then of course they could say the situation has changed and give it to him permanently.

Trouble is that all the noises were made that a new manager would be appointed this week so some might be worried Carol would change her mind and give it to Pugh if he does 'okay'.

34 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There will always be dissent, as you're polling the views of 4000 different people with very different views on how the world works.

A good appointment will quickly win them all over.

Trust me any manager loses 3 or 4 on the bounce and people start turning. You always going to have bad spells. Players losing form and injuries are massive in terms of results. Luck is at least as important. Vale wanted to bring in Liam Dickinson and Purcell until the Ryder takeover collapsed 2012/13. If they'd signed Pope would probably have carried on running the chanels like he did when Richards was the number 9. Pope then stayed fit all season but prior to Hughes arriving we didn't really have any cover as an out and out centreforward. How many seasons do you get through when your main striker play every game?

Football fans are no different to Romans at The Colloseum. They're happy to give the thumbs down the second things are going the wrong way.