onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

To say he doesn’t tick any of the boxes I don’t think is true... he was focused on developing young players and in his D3D4 interview he talk a lot about developing youth.

”Success” is the one that you can question, but it’s such a subjective measure... Carol didn’t say the manager would have a promotion under his belt.

Reaching the semi finals of the league cup, and reaching the playoffs could be seen as successful acts.

I always liked the football Colchester played and was never confident when we played them. 

Id be ok with McGreal

I like McGreal. He plays good football and I personally prefer him to Flitcroft. 

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

To say he doesn’t tick any of the boxes I don’t think is true... he was focused on developing young players and in his D3D4 interview he talk a lot about developing youth.

”Success” is the one that you can question, but it’s such a subjective measure... Carol didn’t say the manager would have a promotion under his belt.

Reaching the semi finals of the league cup, and reaching the playoffs could be seen as successful acts.

I always liked the football Colchester played and was never confident when we played them. 

Id be ok with McGreal

Not for me. Lack of experience. Lack of real success. You'd might as well give it Pugh as give it to someone like McGreal. A bloke Colchester took a punt on & now looking for his 2nd job in league football.

Just don't get it. Colchester played okay football. Nothing amazing. We played them off the park when they came up here last season. 

He might have given youth a chance but ... meh... so what. Plenty of managers will give youth a chance if they're good enough.

Hopefully Carol hasn't dug herself a hole.

I guess a big question is whether starting 'the rebuild', if one is needed, should start ASAP or can be put off till the summer. Flitcroft arrived at Mansfield before the end of a season, struggled, but was able to evaluate the squad and build a team which, bar a weird collapse, was top 3 all season.

There's a lot to be said for a manager getting some time to get embedded into a club, setting the culture, implementing tactics, and working with the recruitment department to identify creative targets early doors to ensure an orderly window, especially with little immediate need to improve results as we're probably not going up or down this season.

We can admit this season is going nowhere, but that doesn't mean we have to postpone preparing for next season until this one concludes.

I like Pugh, and think he's done a steady job, but unless we genuinely envisage him being the long-term man, nothing is really gained by 'sticking with him till summer', as the wage demands for a top manager will be just as high then as they are now, and we've lost out on what could have been 3-4 months of valuable preparation time.

Hopefully these rumours don't have credence, or we can talk Flitcroft into a more sensible salary.

6 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Not for me. Lack of experience. Lack of real success. You'd might as well give it Pugh as give it to someone like McGreal. A bloke Colchester took a punt on & now looking for his 2nd job in league football.

Just don't get it. Colchester played okay football. Nothing amazing. We played them off the park when they came up here last season. 

He might have given youth a chance but ... meh... so what. Plenty of managers will give youth a chance if they're good enough.

Hopefully Carol hasn't dug herself a hole.

If we made the playoffs, won 40% of our games and reached the league cup semi final next year would that be a successful season?

The so what on youth is it was one of Carols “boxes”... so just pointing out that to say he ticks “none” of them is wrong.

I really don't think 130k (if true) is unfair for the manager of a League 2 football club. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of our better players were on that. I'm sick of us treating the most important job at the club so inadequately. If you want a better standard, you have to pay the going rate. We've done it once in the last 20 years with Micky Adams and we got promoted.  We've done it once with strikers, by signing Lee Hughes and we got promoted. Success costs money. I really don't think that kind of money for the manager of a professional football club is unreasonable though. Maybe I'm the one that's out of touch?

1 minute ago, Mellor! said:

I really don't think 130k (if true) is unfair for the manager of a League 2 football club. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of our better players were on that. I'm sick of us treating the most important job at the club so inadequately. If you want a better standard, you have to pay the going rate. We've done it once in the last 20 years with Micky Adams and we got promoted.  We've done it once with strikers, by signing Lee Hughes and we got promoted. Success costs money. I really don't think that kind of money for the manager of a professional football club is unreasonable though. Maybe I'm the one that's out of touch?

I agree that we should be willing to spend on the manager.

The failures of McKirdy and Theo will be costing us more than that. Maybe failing to shift them on has hindered us on what we can afford to pay the manager... and in a Covid world when money is tight I can’t blame Carol for considering the budget. 

That’s the one plus side to sticking with Danny P until the summer (for the record I think a new manager should come in to assess the squad) but lots of high paying players are out of contract in the summer or maybe we can move some on... free up some cash, reassess the manager position then.

Who knows.

3 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

I know Adams was quoted as being the “best paid manager in our history” at the time. He was easily in excess of 100k at one point. 

Archived