onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

50 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Can’t see us going down purely on the points we gained early season but our goal of staying up is a disgrace on what was expected this season, I only had 4/1 on promotion at the start of the season. The replacement of Askey has taken far too long and yes, it must be the right person but I do not think we are any closer to getting this person than we were 6 weeks ago.

Strikes me that there have been several factors in play.

Firstly, sacking Askey was not in the grand plan.

This led to a review of strategy which has taken time. No quick fix this time round.

In some ways, this slowing down has probably moved the club forward much more quickly than anticipated. So there has been much to consider at a time of the season when root and branch changes are not generally advisable.

It appears to me that Carol has had to have a major rethink and is taking the time required to get the structure right for the foreseeable future.

For some, this will be a waste of a season.

For me, it's the next stage of the development of the club.

To put it in context, I'm of the view that we are supporting a phoenix club that somehow didn't go out of existence, and is consequently starting at a much higher level.

There's so much to do to simply survive.

Carol is attempting to create the conditions for us to flourish.

Advert

I'm sure the Ale and the Vale podcast have said on several occasions they have had contact from our players who have said its rubbish about Sinclair. No issues at all and a really good bloke.
I don't know what he's like as a person so I wont comment but his coaching has to be questioned 2 wins for the youth team all season. No improvement in the first team since he's been with them and the rugby incident. When I've watched training all they seem do is 2 touch football you would think with our problems in defense an ex defender would spend a lot more time doing defensive drills.

26 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Dosent surprise me but I guess those supposedly in the know on here think they know better. 

Can i just say i have never said once i am in the know,my choice is just that i have taken a dislike to him and going off his record with the youth team this season and perhaps i should know better but listening to what was said from his previous club. We all take a dislike to someone to do with the club whether thats high up,coaches,certain players i guess

12 hours ago, Rory said:

Correct. Even if they do we're still miles clear, I don't really know what's up with people.

Cheer up and await the new head coach.

On on.

Look at the form table over the last 10 games (even worse if look over longer period) we are looking to achieve around 46 points. It only takes 2 teams down there to pick up a few wins and we are right in the dogfight.As we have seen all season WE DON'T HAVE PLAYERS WITH CHARACTER to be in a relegation scrap.1137650973_Screenshot2021-02-14at11_09_21.png.a462f1fbc1a00bfe09cf5a4fbc4f1edf.pnge

23 minutes ago, MBE said:

I did. If his name wasn't Pope most would be saying something different.

Basically he looked a decent goal threat in two games upfront against the two worst defences in the league.

In the age of 22 man squads he is waste of a squad player and the wage.

If the 22 man squad thing is scrapped do you think then he is worthy of a player/coach role?

25 minutes ago, MBE said:

I did. If his name wasn't Pope most would be saying something different.

Basically he looked a decent goal threat in two games upfront against the two worst defences in the league.

In the age of 22 man squads he is waste of a squad player and the wage.

If we want to play 2 up front then Pope absolutely has a role to play and would be a real asset.

1 up front or a front three with him as a central focal point is more challenging.

Depends on the terms of the contract I guess.

4 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

f the 22 man squad thing is scrapped do you think then he is worthy of a player/coach role?

As a coach yes I think we need to keep him at the club. He should be a real inspiration for the youth lads to try and make the step up. Playing no - we need to move on.

1 minute ago, MBE said:

As a coach yes I think we need to keep him at the club. He should be a real inspiration for the youth lads to try and make the step up. Playing no - we need to move on.

Have to disagree completely mate.

He's no shrinking violet and has let both himself and the club down on a few occasions. 

As with Shawcross at Lard, no room for sentiment. 

For me it's thanks for everything Tom you have your place in Vale history and thanks for the memories.

Can't just shoehorn a coaching position on sentiment. 

11 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

If we want to play 2 up front then Pope absolutely has a role to play and would be a real asset.

1 up front or a front three with him as a central focal point is more challenging.

Depends on the terms of the contract I guess.

We need a mobile hold up man.

A player who can drop in link play, good movement in the box and also hassle defenders. Basically I'm describing how Pope used to be. 

3 minutes ago, MBE said:

I agree about the coach bit but i mention the playing side as he would be useful to bring on as a sub and i imagine he would like to say goodbye to vale fans inside the ground with one last season as a player(even if its bit part) BUT i wouldn't push the boat out wage wise thats for sure

7 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Have to disagree completely mate.

He's no shrinking violet and has let both himself and the club down on a few occasions. 

As with Shawcross at Lard, no room for sentiment. 

For me it's thanks for everything Tom you have your place in Vale history and thanks for the memories.

Can't just shoehorn a coaching position on sentiment. 

I think we need people with a bit of needle about them in the youth set-up to produce more players with the attitude of a Gibbo.

Most lads will get dropped, just like Pope did from Crewe. Its important to have someone around who has been there lived through it and come back.Show the lads what you can do with hard work and desire.

Kids will look up to him for what he has done. No sentiment about its inspiration. 

I don't think it will happen. I think he made it clear he wants to keep playing on as long as possible.

The appointment of a football director and especially one who has experience of progressing lower league clubs looks a good strategy. I would be pleased with the club playing upper League 1 level football on a sustainable basis. I think the Championship aim requires transformation. Need to find 15,000 fans from somewhere and improve the ground and its commercial return etc. Not impossible, but .....

I am not in a position to know the best manager and supporting staff appointments. I'm not against Danny Pugh and current backroom. The obvious issue is that our current squad is where it is. Why will it perform better in the future. It likely won't. Better players need to be brought in if we are to play at a higher level. That is a financial challenge and a recruitment challenge. 

Pleased to see the challenge being taken on. Doing the same thing, usually brings the same results. Going for bigger change offers the best hope of improvement.

10 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I know it was pretty much a lone voice but anybody who thought Ian Holloway made sense as Vale manager please watch just the last 5 minutes of Quest last night.

Challenged by his matey Colin Murray about what actually happened at Grimsby he proceeded to come out with absolute waffle and piffle otherwise known as bull**** .

Swerved the actual questions and is totally unhinged.  Yet was offered up on  here as a candidate. Laughable. 

Hahaha...I record EFL on Quest and only watch it if Vale have had a positive result...even then I fast forward from game to game as I think Colin Murray and the other deadheads are the worst, smuggest bunch of pundits ever assembled outside of one of Lineker's parties! The fact that Holloway spoke like this does not surprise me at all!

22 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Hahaha...I record EFL on Quest and only watch it if Vale have had a positive result...even then I fast forward from game to game as I think Colin Murray and the other deadheads are the worst, smuggest bunch of pundits ever assembled outside of one of Lineker's parties! The fact that Holloway spoke like this does not surprise me at all!

Spot on

Archived