onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

3 hours ago, valeparklife said:

False.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/january/club-statement/

"Colin Garlick, as Chief Executive Officer, will continue driving forward the football side of the business".

It's incorrect that Colin Garlick is some sort of admin guy. It's been his job for 4 years to improve the football side of Port Vale - which he has failed miserably.

I wonder where this leaves him now? His role is basically redundant after appointing a Director of Football.

And what is Rudgey's role now?

Hopefully the Sentinel will answer these questions (ha!).

In fact the correct answer is True: I appreciate that this may be difficult for you to grasp but I'll have another go at spelling it out for you.  It's the off the field football activities CG is involved in, whilst Flitcroft will be responsible for the actual on the field football side of things.   As an example, Flitcroft wound select potential new signings, CG would be involved in the paperwork to register those signings.  They will naturally have to communucate ad work together to some degree.

If this thinking is too deep and is still difficult for you to compute, to enable you to visualise this relationship, take a coin from your pocket, now look at it.  You will see there are 2 sides.  You may even manage to spot that they are different.  2 different sides, parts of the same coin.  Likewise CEO and DoF.

Advert

Just listened to Flitcroft's and Carole's videos on You Tube. The most reassuring part of these impressive interviews is that it looks very unlikely that Pugh will, at this stage at least, be our new manager. Just a bit concerned about how long it's going to take to recruit because, in my view, we are are not yet out of the woods as far as this season goes. But the future looks bright.

One of the questions raised frequently over the last few months is who is advising Carol and who exactly is pulling the strings on the footballing side. Theoretically, it was our Chief Executive but now we have an experienced footballing man who is going to be accountable for our success as a club with a clear line of accountability from our owners through the DOF to the manager and beyond. And the good thing is Flitcroft sounds as if he knows what he's about.

The other question is how the club can afford all this. I wondered over the last week or so how we have managed to bring in no fewer than five players without any moving out. The answer to that seems that our owners, even though we are a million pounds down in revenue, are committed to finding the resources to realise their vision, including the infrastructure to make a modern club work. Just remarkable. How many times have we been able to say this over the last few decades?

So what today has shown is that we have true Vale fans in charge of the club who are determined to make it work and invest in the future.  At long last, if this works, it looks as though we are going to be a force to be reckoned with. Our fantastic owners have shown their commitment - we need to be sure we give them ours.

Fingers crossed for the manager's appointment.

24 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Whilst there will always be a bit of head scratching when a new system is set up in a club, Flitcroft as DOF seems to tick the boxes for me.  If that makes me that ridiculous phrase "a happy clapper", then fine, I am optimistic by nature.

1 - As stated above, proof that we are investing in a long term plan to improve the football side of the club long term,not just plucking another manager in to try and juggle all the plates.  No-one can accuse the owners of lacking ambition with 2 salaries being paid to get the football side right. If it puts some managers off applying, so be it - this model isn't for them, let them apply to a club which asks them to get results every week on the pitch whilst taking care of everything else to do with the football side of things.  Plenty of jobs like that still around, surely?

2 - We have a person who is widely experienced and respected at our level as an addition to what is already at the club, with a promise of a manager who won't be Danny Pugh.  Danny will probably get to coach and learn more about management, whilst working with the DOF and new manager. As long as they get the division of responsibilities right, that has to be good doesn't it? As Jacko said above, if Rudgie thought management was often too much for one person, we should take that one board.  Rudgie worked his sack off scouting for the Vale as well as managing and coaching because were skint back in the 80s, so he should know. Two wise heads with a keen coach who wants to be a manager one day should give us the much requested leadership, and a think tank. 

3 - A fresh pair of eyes looking at everything in the club is great.  Let him be critical of existing practices if it makes things better.  Let him ask why we seem to sign lots of players who are constantly injured and unavailable. Let him look at the academy's success rate in producing players fit and technically capable of playing for the club. Let him form an opinion of who is actually robbing a wage from the club with little return. He can be the non emotional, rational decision maker new to the club, with no agenda other than to improve it.  I suspect he might save us a lot of money in the long term.

4 -  I think the best person to be a DOF is a manager who has been in the position of asking himself "what would I change if I could to get more out of my club?".  If you asked most intelligent managers this, they would talk about getting quality players and the right pyramid at the club, and more time spent on long term planning - not starting from where we are now.  Crewe have shown how to do this. The best DOF will be thinking "I know what the manager needs" not because they speak to them regularly, but because they have walked in their shoes.  I'm not worried that he hasn't been a DOF elsewhere, he is an experienced, well connected football man who has worked at clubs better run than we presently are.

So welcome David, and good luck.  I hope this is the beginning of some real progress, and a farewell to the years of reactionary appointments, usually taken when the team was doing badly, and gambling on managers with fingers crossed. The team won't change overnight, but we should stay up this season (a few dazzling displays and wins would be nice though, just to encourage the fans). Then a summer ridout and let's go again, as a former manager used to say.   

Great post

I don't understand all this vitriol about Colin Garlick, he's employed by Carol & Co not the supporters, if he sits all day twiddling his thumbs I'm sure Carol will have a word.

Smurthwaite has a lot more to answer for than first appears, he has left behind a culture behind that seems to be if there isn't a crises then create one, nobody on here knows what is done on a day to day basis at the club, yet everyone seems to know. 110% certain in some cases.

Leave Carol alone to run the business (The Vale) and support what she's trying to do, she's working to make the club better than it was, she's not doing it for her own personal gain unlike some of our previous owners. 

Now they’ve secured Flitcroft, surely it must be break neck speed to get a manager in place now.

it doesn’t matter if we have Pochettino as DOF between now and the summer in terms of getting points on the board. Points we desperately need right now. To get what’s needed out of these players to avoid relegation, it’s time to swap Pugh out.

1 hour ago, Houston Valiant said:

We will never get results under Pugh, and he said himself that he doesn’t want the job. Why didn’t Carol just appoint Flitcroft as manager? It’s all a bit muddled. 

Too much work to do reshaping the club, also the choice of manager will now   be made by a manager who knows what the job is all about.

13 minutes ago, 1 said:

Now they’ve secured Flitcroft, surely it must be break neck speed to get a manager in place now.

it doesn’t matter if we have Pochettino as DOF between now and the summer in terms of getting points on the board. Points we desperately need right now. To get what’s needed out of these players to avoid relegation, it’s time to swap Pugh out.

Indeed, and thankfully Flitcroft is already on it, judging by his interview with The Sentinel -

“The absolute priority, and it has been anyway for probably two or three days now, is to really focus in on that manager.

“So it’s really important that search is the only thing I concentrate on at the minute and we are really prioritising that.

14 minutes ago, 1 said:

Remember Pugh was asked to run the 1st team until a new manager was employed, he agreed to help the club.

Pugh has said he's not ready yet to be a manager.

Flitcroft has said Pugh has said he's not ready to be a manager.

Flitcroft has said they will be looking to get a manager in as soon as possible.

40 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

In fact the correct answer is True: I appreciate that this may be difficult for you to grasp but I'll have another go at spelling it out for you.  It's the off the field football activities CG is involved in, whilst Flitcroft will be responsible for the actual on the field football side of things.   As an example, Flitcroft wound select potential new signings, CG would be involved in the paperwork to register those signings.  They will naturally have to communucate ad work together to some degree.

If this thinking is too deep and is still difficult for you to compute, to enable you to visualise this relationship, take a coin from your pocket, now look at it.  You will see there are 2 sides.  You may even manage to spot that they are different.  2 different sides, parts of the same coin.  Likewise CEO and DoF.

Is this a wind up?

Your take on someone "driving forward the football side of the business" is that they somehow look after "off the field" football activities. What does that even mean?! 

CEO's don't do paperwork LOL!

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

To be fair do you praise the club for any decision it makes??

Yes, I do. It wasn't that long ago I was praising Askey to the rafters. Or was it that long ago where I decided Leon Legge deserved his own thread. This notion that I only complain and criticise is ridiculous. But I also don't have my head among the stars and believe everything is wonderful in regards to Port Vale.

Of course, my views are going to upset a lot of the happy clappers here. It's quite entertaining in a way.

Archived