onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

4 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

When i first saw the announcement i was a little confused but having watched the interview it looks like it could potentially be a good move. He seems to know what hes talking about and from his interview they are very much still looking for a new manager so people who are saying its pughs are wrong. Carol clearly doesnt know the football side of running a football club as she has no football backround so this looks like a decent move and takes some of the pressure off carol on the footballint decisions.

welcome flitcroft and hopefully a new manager will come soon to shut tyler b up 🤣 but no doubt he will have something negative to say whoever is appointed unless we manage to get pep from city 

I dont agree with a lot of what you say but you are growing on me tbf,you are spot on.... carol has said many times she wants the right infrastructure at the club and with this that is what she is clearly setting up,it is hard to grasp at first as it has never happened at our club before ,i am well up for this and quite excited by it all,he clearly has many contacts in the game and i think more will come around to it maybe if a different young manager comes in other than Pugh(which i think they will)

Advert

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Exactly right... brilliant watch that lays out exactly how we have ended up where we have.

The right decision by the sounds of it.

UTV

Both him and Carol have a vision for the club and i was impressed by what he had to say

Bring it on 

onwards and upwards we are all Vale lets just try and buy into the vision

Thought the Vale were stuck in the 80's most clubs have a structure and a proper vision of where they want to go supporters moan about the deadwood and useless players this will help stop the scattergun approach to transfers, this appointment will hopefully drag us into 2021, just doing the same old thing year in and year out is not working, some were saying Carol has no football experience she gets somone in who has AND PAYS for it and still they complain, must be a Stoke on trent thing anything forward thinking and modern is sneered at, good luck Carol, thanks for saving us from oblivion and thanks for trying to take us forward.
Agree 100%, Mario. Unless we've all suddenly morphed into extremely successful business people, I think we should respect the work of somebody who clearly is just that. And she is paying for it as well.

People should remember she has talked a lot to JR, our Club President, who had 10 very successful years with Stoke as Director of Football, helping get them up into the Premier League. He clearly sees benefits in operating this way, and Carol does too.

Would we all rather go back to the blue one, or equivalent? This Club probably wouldn't exist now were it not for the Shanahans paying the ransome fee to rescue it.

I think we should show some respect for her judgement and a little patience. She is clearly planning longer term, and I for one am very glad of that.

8 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

This is what Rudgie said about the role of the DoF when he was at Stoke:

"I'm still involved in all aspects of the club, contracts, training, and attending matches, and I'm working with someone I get on really well with Tony Pulis, and I hope that I can just help him by taking the strain off him because I know exactly what its like to be a manager, which is a hard role; and can be often too much for one person. I'm here to lighten the load so he can focus on winning matches. My job involves sixty to seventy hours a week, it's very time consuming."

What a load of crap Rudgies input at sjoke was zero 

4 hours ago, TylerB said:

I just want anybody that isn't Danny Pugh or best mates with some of the players in charge of the football club. A "Yes, Mam" man. Suppose we just have to accept the rest of the season will be a car crash and hope things actually start to improve on the pitch from next season onwards.

In my opinion the new manager will be a young and hungry inexperienced manager from outside of the club,the ideal candidate for me would be Murray who has been mentioned before but i imagine DF is also now going through all those who applied to see who is available so might not be cut and dried that it is Murray but it wont be Pugh

37 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I aren't an happy clapper and yes i was bewildered at first but thinking about things and listening to the interview i am changing my mind on this,the problem is we have never been used to this at Vale,so when things like this happen it certainly comes across as confusing.

Carol has always said she wants to be forward thinking so lets see how it goes before we all wait to rip it apart

That’s how I feel about it. I’m still finding it a bit strange that he’s not our manager when he would have clearly been a great fit for it. Listening to his interview I was very impressed he certainly seems to know what he’s on about. As I’ve read on here we’re not exactly excelling doing what we’re doing so maybe worth the change 

I do think now we will see an inexperienced manager come in (well head coach) 

Whilst there will always be a bit of head scratching when a new system is set up in a club, Flitcroft as DOF seems to tick the boxes for me.  If that makes me that ridiculous phrase "a happy clapper", then fine, I am optimistic by nature.

1 - As stated above, proof that we are investing in a long term plan to improve the football side of the club long term,not just plucking another manager in to try and juggle all the plates.  No-one can accuse the owners of lacking ambition with 2 salaries being paid to get the football side right. If it puts some managers off applying, so be it - this model isn't for them, let them apply to a club which asks them to get results every week on the pitch whilst taking care of everything else to do with the football side of things.  Plenty of jobs like that still around, surely?

2 - We have a person who is widely experienced and respected at our level as an addition to what is already at the club, with a promise of a manager who won't be Danny Pugh.  Danny will probably get to coach and learn more about management, whilst working with the DOF and new manager. As long as they get the division of responsibilities right, that has to be good doesn't it? As Jacko said above, if Rudgie thought management was often too much for one person, we should take that one board.  Rudgie worked his sack off scouting for the Vale as well as managing and coaching because were skint back in the 80s, so he should know. Two wise heads with a keen coach who wants to be a manager one day should give us the much requested leadership, and a think tank. 

3 - A fresh pair of eyes looking at everything in the club is great.  Let him be critical of existing practices if it makes things better.  Let him ask why we seem to sign lots of players who are constantly injured and unavailable. Let him look at the academy's success rate in producing players fit and technically capable of playing for the club. Let him form an opinion of who is actually robbing a wage from the club with little return. He can be the non emotional, rational decision maker new to the club, with no agenda other than to improve it.  I suspect he might save us a lot of money in the long term.

4 -  I think the best person to be a DOF is a manager who has been in the position of asking himself "what would I change if I could to get more out of my club?".  If you asked most intelligent managers this, they would talk about getting quality players and the right pyramid at the club, and more time spent on long term planning - not starting from where we are now.  Crewe have shown how to do this. The best DOF will be thinking "I know what the manager needs" not because they speak to them regularly, but because they have walked in their shoes.  I'm not worried that he hasn't been a DOF elsewhere, he is an experienced, well connected football man who has worked at clubs better run than we presently are.

So welcome David, and good luck.  I hope this is the beginning of some real progress, and a farewell to the years of reactionary appointments, usually taken when the team was doing badly, and gambling on managers with fingers crossed. The team won't change overnight, but we should stay up this season (a few dazzling displays and wins would be nice though, just to encourage the fans). Then a summer ridout and let's go again, as a former manager used to say.   

Archived