onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

I'm happy with this appointment, it's quite clear that we have been in a mess on the footballing side for years so a change of tack was needed. Bringing in someone with management experience to oversea the football side, which I'm sure Carol will agree that she is a little out of her depth with, can only be a good thing. It's clear to me, that Carol has a long term vision. We won't get promoted this season, or the season after that, but we are building slowly. Sometimes you need to just sit back and realize that Vale have been a bit tinpot for years... Scouting, infrastructure, training etc. It's going to take time to turn around a decade or two of decline. We can't just hire a decent manager and expect win the league.

Advert

Some interesting responses on here to the latest development.

I'd like to add some context. In the past TWENTY YEARS we have only achieved a top 7 finish in the league... ONCE. This was under MA in 2012/2013. Let that sink in. 

20 years playing in League 1 or below & only ONE successful league campaign.

That points towards a clear problem at the football club & that problem has always been the lack of structure behind the scenes along with non football people making the key decisions.

The football club has been been passed from pillar to post in that time. Every single time the managers job has come up we've waived a magic wand & allowed non footballing people to select the manager in the HOPE we might drop onto another MA or JR.

I applaud Carol for taking this step; she has clearly recognised the importance of having a FOOTBALLING person looking after FOOTBALL related matters. Whether that be training facilities, coaching structure, youth development, recruitment.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

I think it's a big step in the right direction. Welcome to the Vale, Dave.

Having had more time to digest, I’m pretty happy with this decision. It will be good to have someone involved in the running of the club who is a football person. It will also take a lot of strain off the new manager. Think about how much Askey had to deal with, for example. With the new set up the manager can focus solely on the football and let flitcroft worry about sorting everything else. Hopefully it works out.

57 minutes ago, TylerB said:

It doesn't guarantee anything but I wouldn't say it means nothing. Everyone here, even myself, was optimistic before a ball was kicked this season, and also a few games into it. If we stay up by a few points I can't see too many people buying season tickets, as I did myself, next season despite how much the club tries to spin things.

You have to remember Tyler is still trying to get over that horror film he watched yesterday - Alisson Blunderland.

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

Totally different role.  CG is more an admin role, nothing to do with on the field matters other than paperwork eg. signing players, paying fines etc.

On topic, we’re still no closer to knowing who the manager is.  Maybe an Adam Murray type would fit the new infrastructure.

False.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/january/club-statement/

"Colin Garlick, as Chief Executive Officer, will continue driving forward the football side of the business".

It's incorrect that Colin Garlick is some sort of admin guy. It's been his job for 4 years to improve the football side of Port Vale - which he has failed miserably.

I wonder where this leaves him now? His role is basically redundant after appointing a Director of Football.

And what is Rudgey's role now?

Hopefully the Sentinel will answer these questions (ha!).

17 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Some interesting responses on here to the latest development.

I'd like to add some context. In the past TWENTY YEARS we have only achieved a top 7 finish in the league... ONCE. This was under MA in 2012/2013. Let that sink in. 

20 years playing in League 1 or below & only ONE successful league campaign.

That points towards a clear problem at the football club & that problem has always been the lack of structure behind the scenes along with non football people making the key decisions.

The football club has been been passed from pillar to post in that time. Every single time the managers job has come up we've waived a magic wand & allowed non footballing people to select the manager in the HOPE we might drop onto another MA or JR.

I applaud Carol for taking this step; she has clearly recognised the importance of having a FOOTBALLING person looking after FOOTBALL related matters. Whether that be training facilities, coaching structure, youth development, recruitment.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

I think it's a big step in the right direction. Welcome to the Vale, Dave.

You think it's a step in the right direction, but really you can replace think with "hope". As we all do. It's a gamble by the club, and by Carol. There's little evidence to suggest it's going to end up actually being a good thing for the club as of right now. Flitcroft speaks well, sure, but that means little. I don't know why we couldn't just appoint him as manager and then everyone would be satisfied with that outcome.

Was a bit confused when I initially saw it, but having listened to the interview and what he had to say I feel that this is a really positive step forward for Vale.

It's clear the football side is a shambles. This seems like a big step forward from the club to getting this sorted.

It probably is far too much for one man to sort as manager alone. Were likely setting people up to fail. This move should give us every chance of getting things sorted and progressing on the pitch.

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

False.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/january/club-statement/

"Colin Garlick, as Chief Executive Officer, will continue driving forward the football side of the business".

It's incorrect that Colin Garlick is some sort of admin guy. It's been his job for 4 years to improve the football side of Port Vale - which he has failed miserably.

I wonder where this leaves him now? His role is basically redundant after appointing a Director of Football.

And what is Rudgey's role now?

Hopefully the Sentinel will answer these questions (ha!).

Rudgey's role was unpaid advisor - available for consultation when needed. 

1 hour ago, Powerline said:

On a side note, this means that there’s been yet another leak from the club after the rumour about a DOF started circulating last night. Sick of it. Wish people would shut their bloody gobs.

Took the words out of my mouth mate.

There is a huge mole somewhere.

Askey, Rugbygate, Mckirdy , Robinson, many other instances.

Then lo and behold 16 hours before the appointment of Flitcroft we have people saying its a Director of Football coming in.

This mole needs to be CULLED. 

2 minutes ago, Walter said:

Was a bit confused when I initially saw it, but having listened to the interview and what he had to say I feel that this is a really positive step forward for Vale.

It's clear the football side is a shambles. This seems like a big step forward from the club to getting this sorted.

It probably is far too much for one man to sort as manager alone. Were likely setting people up to fail. This move should give us every chance of getting things sorted and progressing on the pitch.

It will also shorten the amount of people actually desperately wanting to become the manage of Port Vale, having a director of football, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, TylerB said:

It will also shorten the amount of people actually desperately wanting to become the manage of Port Vale, having a director of football, that's for sure.

Someone has already pointed out that McGreal worked under a DoF at Colchester so he wouldn't be put off for starters.

56 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I knew you didnt understand what I was saying.

For clarity in small words.

There are some people who are genuinely "in the Know" and leak info on here... why? Who knows, an agenda maybe, that lovely feeling of knowing something that others don't. Maybe they weren't that popular at school and this is how they feel most important.... I have no idea. My issue there is the appropriateness of sharing that info and would suggest that sharing it isnt the right thing to do.

Then there are people who hear something from someone, and it gets locked in as fact. These people believe that their "Source" a) knows everything and b) tells them all the info that's relevant. These people THINK they are in the know, but don't have the full context and spread stuff that's misleading. My suggestion here would be its best not to share that info.

Then there are some people that hear something that via Chinese whispers has become nothing like reality and just decide its fact and claim to be in the know. My suggestion is that its bet not to share that info.

Then there are people who just make stuff up... these people are strange.

Did all these in the know know anything about us advertising for a DoF,if they did they kept it very quiet?

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Someone has already pointed out that McGreal worked under a DoF at Colchester so he wouldn't be put off for starters.

Some won't, some will be. But my biggest gripe from this since it was announced was thinking that Pugh was as good as manager. That doesn't seem to be the case with what's been said so I'm now more open to it, although I still want an actual manager in charge asap. We should be building towards next season on the pitch now, not just once this season has ended. I get the feeling some people seem happy to just let this season peter out as long as we just about survive.

Archived