onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

Is this DOF thing from a credible source?

Its league 2 for gods sake! It ain't rocket science.  

Employ someone who knows what they're on about, can convey that to the players and get them to buy into it.

No guarantees of promotion or anything, just get something going on the pitch that vaguely resembles direction and purpose.

Its Vale, I certainly don't go for the glory. I just want us to look like a bloody football side again!!

43 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, dishydave said:
Wouldn't it be fun if there were 3 or 4 candidates there and we all have to phone in to vote for who we want. All money raised will help pay wages and if it goes Tats up in 1 or 2 years time Carol can come on here moaning about how we picked the wrong guy and that she never wanted him in the first place.

I feel like a club did do that once, I read an article about it the other week but I'm struggling to remember who it was

Ebbsfleet United tried something like that

52 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Absolutely rubbish.

Clubs in the league 2 with a DoF right now (under one title or another) :

Bradford, Cheltenham, Colchester, Crawley, Leyton Orient, Mansfield, Oldham, Salford.

Swindon promoted last year with a director of football. Lincoln the year before the same.

But yeah, it's all about power mad chairman wanting to keep control emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Yeah Bradford doing really well at the moment...as are Oldham. Salford..well clearly run by a group of ego mad ex Man U players who drop managers at will. Underachieving given the budget. 

Crawley, yes, basically the Turkish chairman’s mate..

Orient...that Italian bloke who owns the club nearly sent them bust. They adopted that model and got relegated to the conference. Not a good example. Martin Ling basically has a Rudge style “advisor” role these days. 

Swindon is quite a convincing case however. Paul Jewell doing a good job there, but John Sheridan and Jewell can’t be a cheap duo. 

10 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
14 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:
Can you name these DoFs please?

Paul Jewell is Swindon's, Jez George is Lincoln's. I can't really be bothered to trawl back through the pages of the other clubs again but I can if you'd really like

It's just I looked at the first two teams you'd listed and couldn't see them.

Employ someone who knows what they're on about, can convey that to the players and get them to buy into it.
No guarantees of promotion or anything, just get something going on the pitch that vaguely resembles direction and purpose.
Its Vale, I certainly don't go for the glory. I just want us to look like a bloody football side again!!
Maybe just chat to pass the time.

30 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

So your just going to ignore the two prime examples of recent successes at league 2 clubs?

If you want a really successful example what about your favourite team? Michael Edwards at Liverpool is the sporting director who identified players and heads a committee where they chose who to sign.

Like I said, you'll always be able to pick out examples where it looks like it works. But like I also said, you can certainly pick out plenty you can question.

Only at Port Vale when you're in desperate need of a good League Two manager to hopefully sort out the rot on the pitch would suddenly a DOF even be in discussion. Absolute circus.

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:
10 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Maybe just chat to pass the time.

I'm really hoping it is mate.

38 minutes ago, TylerB said:

It's easy to pick out one or two clubs where it works, It's also very easy to pick out clubs where clearly it didn't work. One thing a DOF always does is undermine any manager. But seeing as we seem oh so eager to go for the cheap option it won't really matter anyway.

Port Vale will always be Port Vale. Utter crap club and I don't see it changing anytime soon for all the want in the world and no matter how nice the owners are. If we have anything to be somewhat optimistic about we'll always find a way for things to suddenly go <ovf censored> up.

Reminds me of a few Micky Adams quotes Tyler.Firstly "We aren't Real Madrid" and his best one imo "At Vale Park if there isn't a crisis,then one needs to be created".

Archived