onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Just now, geoff1 said:

has anyone thought of a player-coach? experience/contacts/ambition. forget these journeyman ,money grabbing  ,media imbaciles. ther must be loads of qualified pros in their last couple of seasons who are waiting for an opportunity. a good solid midfielder with brains. (if there is such a thing!) 😏:whistling::drink:

How about Danny Pugh? No, err, Michael Brown then? Hmm, can Joey Barton still play?

Advert

27 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

The lads on the Ale and Vale podcast made an excellent point in their recent review.

Carol probably thought she had the managers role sewn up when she went on the radio and talked about her "checklist". However the ink wasn't on the page and the Flitcroft deal is looking very much dead in the water.

So what do you after publicly saying you're going to get a manager who ticks all the boxes, when the rest of your options don't tick them? You delay and delay hoping that either Flitcroft can be talked around or the right person comes up.

If that's the case then I think there's nothing wrong with saying we came close to appointing a person but that talks broke down so we went back to the drawing board and re-evaluated our criteria. That we we began talking to less experienced or younger more dynamic managers and this one person stood out as a genius, here he is Adam Murray or whoever.

Blah blah, some guff or whatever. Say it better than that. But although some fans would be disappointed I think most would be happy just to have a new manager and that everyone would give him a chance and then hopefully he gets to a good start and then we're off.

Of course perhaps he (or she) doesn't get off to a good start and fans gets disillusioned, but that could well happen with Flitcroft or somebody more experienced. Results are the be all and end all at the end of the day. The new manager should be appointed based on who will be more successful not on covering the arse of the person who appointed him if it all goes <ovf censored> up.

Derek Adams couldn't make the short list to be interviewed without permission from his club so let's stop that rumour until we know for certain. Apparently Flitcroft was seen going into the club for his interview maybe he doesn't have internet to do a zoom call which is how most first interviews will be conducted so again let's stop with that rumour.
What we do know and Carol now knows is Pugh is not the answer so let her get on with the job of finding the right person for the job. Then we can all have a moan about something that actually has happened.

2 minutes ago, mikey said:

Has anyone considered that the new manager has been told he has to work with Pugh, but wanted to bring his own team with him?

That will put off a few candidates I would imagine, and rightfully so.

Loads of people have made that very point mate 

7 minutes ago, mikey said:

Has anyone considered that the new manager has been told he has to work with Pugh, but wanted to bring his own team with him?

Several people in this thread have considered it. 

I wouldn't want him as part of my setup he is to close to the players. But if she wants him stay she could move him to the academy so I don't see it being a sticking point for a new manager if he doesn't want him

49 minutes ago, geoff1 said:

has anyone thought of a player-coach? experience/contacts/ambition. forget these journeyman ,money grabbing  ,media imbaciles. ther e must be loads of qualified pros in their last couple of seasons who are waiting for an opportunity. a good solid midfielder with brains. (if there is such a thing!) 😏:whistling::drink:

If we were to appoint a player manager he couldn't play until next season unless he was out of contract at the end of the transfer window.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

The lads on the Ale and Vale podcast made an excellent point in their recent review.

Carol probably thought she had the managers role sewn up when she went on the radio and talked about her "checklist". However the ink wasn't on the page and the Flitcroft deal is looking very much dead in the water.

So what do you after publicly saying you're going to get a manager who ticks all the boxes, when the rest of your options don't tick them? You delay and delay hoping that either Flitcroft can be talked around or the right person comes up.

Meanwhile Pugh continues to preside of a shambolic group of footballers with seemingly no ability to defend or score unless they are playing against the bottom two teams in the league. We're also playing large sums to players deemed surplus to requirements without a manager in place to assess if they actually want them as part of their squad.

It's now our 5th week without a manager. We've wasted a transfer window in which that manager could have brought in his own players, delayed on making a decision and all but announced that we would have a new manager on a certain day before we had agreed terms.

I really thought the days of us acting like a circus were over when the blue <ovf censored> left. Carol needs to pull her finger out, from the outside looking in were a shambles on and off the pitch at the moment.

Pretty decent shout this tbf

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

This is a concern Jean,surely the football league future of the club is more important than keeping Pugh on etc,to be fair to pugh he says its up to those higher up what happens to him but he would like to stay on coaching,his interview was a little different though yesterday,to me it sounded like something was going to happen soon

Agreed.

IF this is causing issues for potential managers then choosing to be loyal to Pugh seems crazy.

In business loyalty is a very useful tool... I question it’s long term value in football. 

My guess is Danny P would walk to Man U if offered a coaching role and wouldn’t look back once.

29 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Agreed.

IF this is causing issues for potential managers then choosing to be loyal to Pugh seems crazy.

In business loyalty is a very useful tool... I question it’s long term value in football. 

My guess is Danny P would walk to Man U if offered a coaching role and wouldn’t look back once.

As you say loyalty in football these days is very rare and if a more money is offered elsewhere then of course they would move on without giving us a second thought.

I just wonder if the Flitcroft deal is totally dead then where do we turn now... looks obvious McGreal would be next if those 2 were on the shortlist but if not him then where

16 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

As you say loyalty in football these days is very rare and if a more money is offered elsewhere then of course they would move on without giving us a second thought.

I just wonder if the Flitcroft deal is totally dead then where do we turn now... looks obvious McGreal would be next if those 2 were on the shortlist but if not him then where

Still others surely out there 

I know he wouldn't be universally popular but who actually would !! Parkinson 

56 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I’d be happy with McGreal, I always liked his football and his was the name that sprang to mind when Askey left.

Not sure it would make the fans happy though, but that may be more due to expectations... when Paul Cook and Eddie Howe are being mentioned what hope have we got of a sensible view on the new manager.

Archived