onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

55 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Once again - he didn't have a lot of money at Chorley! And, yes - that's non-League football, but he had a non-League team with non-League budget, playing against teams at the same level and did very well. My Chorley-supporting friend says when Flitcroft left he left Chorley in great shape - as I guess could be seen from their Cup run this season? Money isn't everything - sometimes success is down to talent, preparation, knowledge and hard work?

Eh? Who managed Chorley?

Advert

44 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I think you’ll find that was Garry Flitcroft who left in 2015. A lot can happen in football in 5/6 years, ie Sunderland,Blackpool and Portsmouth, spring to mind. Therefore how can you attribute any success at a club to a manager who left so long ago. 
Can’t wait till the 2026 season when we’re in the Champuons League and are saying Askey started it all.

Oh his brother lol

This whole manager situation is becoming incredibly tedious. Had I have known that we’d still be no closer to appointing someone well into February I’d have wanted Askey to stay. As Pugh has lead us through transfer window we might as well stick with him and hopefully plan for someone to come in as soon as the seasons finished. On the evidence of Grimsby and Southend, we should still be in the Football League next year. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

No I don’t understand why me and others criticising a professional football manager means I could do a better job that’s not true. Decent on footy manager though 😂

You cannot deny how poor we were this season and how much askey got wrong. 

You obviously rated him, what do you think he / we did well this season? I liked him as a person but results and performances just weren’t close to being good enough this year and for me it was down to the transfer window

And we'd/will get just the same from Pugh. Big broom needed or we are stuck in a cycle.

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

I think you’ll find that was Garry Flitcroft who left in 2015. A lot can happen in football in 5/6 years, ie Sunderland,Blackpool and Portsmouth, spring to mind. Therefore how can you attribute any success at a club to a manager who left so long ago. 
Can’t wait till the 2026 season when we’re in the Champuons League and are saying Askey started it all.

hahahaha!!! Bugger! I'd forgot there was two of them! Thanks for the spot, Playa! Can I just say - I think Garry Flitcroft would be a good shout?

When I said they were in good shape, I didn't necessarily mean the squad, but the infrastructure was sound!

1 minute ago, LancyTony said:

hahahaha!!! Bugger! I'd forgot there was two of them! Thanks for the spot, Playa! Can I just say - I think Garry Flitcroft would be a good shout?

When I said they were in good shape, I didn't necessarily mean the squad, but the infrastructure was sound!

It’s no problem and I apologise for the sarcasm 

2 hours ago, 1 said:

Wait a few months with Pugh at the helm and see if the season finishes early - which it may well do.

dont pay flitcroft to sit doing very little for 6 months. He only needs to watch some ifollow tape for a few hours to see where the dead weight is and he can do that on the first day of summer.

Imo there is no chance that this season will be cut short

I really don’t understand the meltdown on here. There’s no rush to appoint a manager. We won’t go down because of how bad Grimsby and Southend are, and we are nowhere near good enough for the play offs. I’m quite happy for Carol to keep reviewing applicants and take her time over the decision.

I also don’t understand the obsession with Pugh till the end of the season. It makes far more sense for a new manager to be brought in over the next month so he can work with the squad and have some time with them before next season.

Some people are even saying it will be Pugh permanently. Rubbish. Carol categorically said it won’t be Pugh, it will be someone with experience, and Pugh allegedly hasn’t even applied. So in what world then do they turn around and appoint him? And people are making out like he’s done amazing since he’s took over. We’ve beat two non-league standard teams and got a lucky point thanks to Rodney at Forest Green. That’s no disrespect to Pugh, he’s doing a decent job as caretaker, but he’s hardly turned us into world beaters like some people are making out.

3 hours ago, Powerline said:

I really don’t understand the meltdown on here. There’s no rush to appoint a manager. We won’t go down because of how bad Grimsby and Southend are, and we are nowhere near good enough for the play offs. I’m quite happy for Carol to keep reviewing applicants and take her time over the decision.

I also don’t understand the obsession with Pugh till the end of the season. It makes far more sense for a new manager to be brought in over the next month so he can work with the squad and have some time with them before next season.

Some people are even saying it will be Pugh permanently. Rubbish. Carol categorically said it won’t be Pugh, it will be someone with experience, and Pugh allegedly hasn’t even applied. So in what world then do they turn around and appoint him? And people are making out like he’s done amazing since he’s took over. We’ve beat two non-league standard teams and got a lucky point thanks to Rodney at Forest Green. That’s no disrespect to Pugh, he’s doing a decent job as caretaker, but he’s hardly turned us into world beaters like some people are making out.

I don't doubt Shanahan's honesty but as situations change so do opinions. If we won the next 4 Pugh will be manager. If we lose the next 4 there will be a new manager before March. There won't be a 100% cast in iron script until an appointment is made.

I don't doubt Shanahan's honesty but as situations change so do opinions. If we won the next 4 Pugh will be manager. If we lose the next 4 there will be a new manager before March. There won't be a 100% cast in iron script until an appointment is made.
As situations change so do conclusions. We have to wait and enjoy the journey, although sometimes painful.

Archived