onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

34 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There will always be dissent, as you're polling the views of 4000 different people with very different views on how the world works.

A good appointment will quickly win them all over.

Trust me any manager loses 3 or 4 on the bounce and people start turning. You always going to have bad spells. Players losing form and injuries are massive in terms of results. Luck is at least as important. Vale wanted to bring in Liam Dickinson and Purcell until the Ryder takeover collapsed 2012/13. If they'd signed Pope would probably have carried on running the chanels like he did when Richards was the number 9. Pope then stayed fit all season but prior to Hughes arriving we didn't really have any cover as an out and out centreforward. How many seasons do you get through when your main striker play every game?

Football fans are no different to Romans at The Colloseum. They're happy to give the thumbs down the second things are going the wrong way.

Advert

12 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

If its Pugh, its Pugh.  No need to state anything about end of season or anything else because regardless I am sure that if results are poor then action will be taken.

Why there is an insistence that we must make Pugh aware he is on trial is beyond me.  If we were telling someone like Flitcroft you can have until the end of the season and then if you do OK we will see, he would tell us to do one and you lot would be up in arms.

Christ alive.  Lets get behind Pugh for now, despite what some of the negative nancies and bed wetters say on here, this season is still very much alive.

Spot on

2 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Despite what Pugh said about not being ready for the job and what carol said I’m afraid a few decent results in the next couple of weeks and I reckon Pugh will get the job I hope I’m wrong 

If he gets a few decent results in the next couple of weeks, on top of the few decent results he’s already got, why would you hope you’re wrong.

26 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

If its Pugh, its Pugh.  No need to state anything about end of season or anything else because regardless I am sure that if results are poor then action will be taken.

Why there is an insistence that we must make Pugh aware he is on trial is beyond me.  If we were telling someone like Flitcroft you can have until the end of the season and then if you do OK we will see, he would tell us to do one and you lot would be up in arms.

Christ alive.  Lets get behind Pugh for now, despite what some of the negative nancies and bed wetters say on here, this season is still very much alive.

Yes but Flitcroft has a promotion + a top 4 finish at this level, and experience in the Championship and League 1. You wouldn't give him a trial period, as there is lots of evidence to suggest he knows what he's doing.

Pugh has 3 games as caretaker. The two are not comparable. He is building evidence on the job that he's good enough.

I'll be behind Pugh should he get it, but he will be getting the job on the basis of us being financially unable to attract the experienced manager Carol was looking for, not his own merit. Of course he's on a trial run. 

If action is taken at the end of the season to get a new man in then we've p!ssed away 5 months of valuable preparation time for that new man, who could have evaluated his squad, implemented tactics, and prepare his recruitment. It's a nonsensical strategy. Lobbing him in in May and telling him to rebuild the squad without ever seeing them play or train. Madness.

10 minutes ago, Conrad said:

If he gets a few decent results in the next couple of weeks, on top of the few decent results he’s already got, why would you hope you’re wrong.

Because a few decent results is a painfully small sample size as to judge the long-term viability of a manager. 

Neil Aspin started well, for example. Luton 4-0. Look how it ended. 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

There will always be dissent, as you're polling the views of 4000 different people with very different views on how the world works.

A good appointment will quickly win them all over.

When it comes to getting a consensus on anything to do with the Vale, the biggest problem is that you're never polling the right 4,000 people. My point is that a good portion of the actual cash-paying Valiants who go to Colchester away or a cold Tuesday night home game, don't engage with online stupidity and just get on with supporting the club. 

If you'd been on Twitter just before the results of the last election, you'd be convinced of a Labour majority, only to realise later that the whole world doesn't live online.

One of the biggest mistakes the club has made from a comms perspective is caring too much about comments, likes and shares. Ultimately, that's why Askey (wrongly in my view), lost his job.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Because a few decent results is a painfully small sample size as to judge the long-term viability of a manager. 

Neil Aspin started well, for example. 

Yes untill the players started living off stale pies.

8 minutes ago, Moz said:

When it comes to getting a consensus on anything to do with the Vale, the biggest problem is that you're not polling the right 4,000 people. My point is that a good portion of the actual cash-paying Valiants who go to Colchester away or an cold Tuesday night home game, don't engage with online stupidity and just get on with supporting the club. 

If you'd been on Twitter just before the results of the last election, you'd be convinced of a Labour majority, only to realise later that the world doesn't live online.

One of the biggest mistakes the club has made from a comms perspective is caring too much about comments, likes and shares. Ultimately, that's why Askey (wrongly in my view), lost his job.

You seem to be suggesting Carol is so weak-willed that she was influenced by social media (which she readily admits to no longer going on) to sack a manager. Very disparaging of a very intelligent and forthright businesswoman who I'm sure made the decision as a result of her own cognitive faculties, and not loudmouth idiots like 'Joe B' on the forums. Give her some credit, man. She isn't that easily swayed. She sacked him because he struggles to sign good footballers and picked up 5 points from 36, blowing up a playoff challenge.

I'm not really sure what your other point is, sorry. My point was that the club shouldn't care what the fans view is on signings/appointments as fans will always disagree, as they're not a homogeneous collective but 4,000 different people. 

6 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Maybe Joe, maybe the club you support has itself not yet given up on this season like you have.  Maybe that all things considered, talking to players etc, they are thinking Pugh actually gives us the best chance to do something this season whereas a completely new appointment would probably change too much to do that.  Just because you have given up, don't assume everyone else has.

You would probably be better off finding something else to do until August.

As for giving somebody the end of this season to settle in, what a load of <ovf censored>. Any manager who is serious about wanting the job will already be doing there homework on what we have and what we need.  If they aren't then they are not worth appointing.

I think an experienced manager gives us a better chance than Pugh, personally, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

We're going to need about 2 points per game to reach the playoffs (38 points from 19 games to reach 70, or 12 wins and 2 draws, for example) - a big ask. I'd love for us to go on a crazy run but the likelihood is that we won't (see, I'm not that demanding!), and that's fine. I'm being realistic - the chances of us picking up 35-40 points from our remaining games are fairly low. That dreadful run pre-Christmas ruined it for us. 

Sensible option is to consolidate and prepare for a run next year, considering the squad is going to need a fair bit of work.  

They'll have done their homework but there's a difference between that and coaching them day in, day out. Would make things a lot easier for the new man, as opposed to watching us on film and relying on other people's views.

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yes but Flitcroft has a promotion + a top 4 finish at this level, and experience in the Championship and League 1. You wouldn't give him a trial period, as there is lots of evidence to suggest he knows what he's doing.

Pugh has 3 games as caretaker. The two are not comparable.

I'll be behind Pugh should he get it, but he will be getting the job on the basis of us being financially unable to attract the experienced manager Carol was looking for, not his own merit. Of course he's on a trial run. 

If action is taken at the end of the season to get a new man in then we've p!ssed away 5 months of valuable preparation time for that new man, who could have evaluated his squad, implemented tactics, and prepare his recruitment. It's a nonsensical strategy. Lobbing him in in May and telling him to rebuild the squad without ever seeing them play or train. Madness.

I really don’t know where this panic has come from. Both Carol and Colin are saying they are working through applicants and a new manager will be appointed before the end of February. The new manager will then have over 2 months to assess the squad and plan the summer rebuild.

If we still don’t have a new manager in 3 weeks time, then I agree, it’s time to be concerned. Until then, KTF. 

Just now, Boslem's Brazil said:

I really don’t know where this panic has come from. Both Carol and Colin are saying they are working through applicants and a new manager will be appointed before the end of February. The new manager will then have over 2 months to assess the squad and plan the summer rebuild.

If we still don’t have a new manager in 3 weeks time, then I agree, it’s time to be concerned. Until then, KTF. 

I fully agree! It's just some have talked themselves into 'Pugh for the season', and I disagree with that approach.

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

You seem to be suggesting Carol is so weak-willed, she was influenced by social media (which she readily admits to no longer going on) to sack a manager. Very critical of a very intelligent and forthright businesswoman who I'm sure made the decision as a result of her own cognitive faculties, and not loudmouth idiots like 'Joe B' on the forums. Give her some credit, man. She isn't that easily swayed.

I'm not really sure what your other point is, sorry. 

I think she was. That's not me disrespecting the woman, it's me understanding that she's a very good business woman who has never had a business with such vocal critics. How else do you explain sacking the boss without having another boss in mind?

My other point was simply that if you go to a game, you know you're listening to Vale fans. Unfortunately, the world as it is right now, means that the most vocal aren't always the most valuable supporters. Not a personal dig at you, Joe, just an observation from my own social media. 

I'll always be a big Carol fan, but in my view, she needs to listen less and be prepared to be unpopular at times.

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I fully agree! It's just some have talked themselves into 'Pugh for the season', and I disagree with that approach.

I would be astounded if both Pugh and Carol u-turn on their previous statement. Pugh knows his first managerial job will make or break his future career. The timing has to be spot on and then you need a bit of luck and the backing of the supporters. I personally don’t think the time is right (and I think Pugh knows this) and he is sensible to gain more experience before he takes the plunge. 

Archived