onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

In no way do I want to be the defender of Carol or Port Vale, and if I thought she was wrong I would say, I thought she worded her statement Re. The new manager incorrectly by giving false hope and deadlines

I tend to agree. The manager criteria set by Carol and Pugh not interested in the job statements are the biggest issue. Every manager linked or appointed questions will remain "How do they fit the criteria?"  and we all know Pugh certainly doesn't as he is no experience to measure against it. Look at the managers in the betting and how many fit all of the criteria? 

To be honest I think they have dug themselves in a hole where there will be a population of unhappy fans whoever they go with.

I really think though regardless of covid pressures the manager is the most important person to appoint and we should not be penny pinching. A new manager will make a huge difference to the outlook.

I have been a season ticket holder since 84. There are only 3 seasons I didn't and that was due to the manager.

1/ When we appointed Micheal Brown as I though it was a ridiculous penny pinching decision after his failure in L1.

2/ Neil Aspin. Loved the player but as a manger I was unimpressed with his record to bring him in. I thought it was a publicity stunt by Smurf to try and placate fans.

3/ Lee Sinnott. The cheapest of appointments you could ever imagine.I was fuming.

It just illustrates fans need someone to believe in. Not all season ticket holders will just keep buying regardless. 

Advert

You can build a quorum easily against any manager. As soon as the manager is out there is never agreement on a replacement.  When things go sour most fans can then say they always wanted someone else and the selection was a poor one. Then the merry-go-round starts all over.

5 hours ago, blackdog said:

Carol and Kevin have not built up their successful business by just spending and certainly not spending what they don't have, Carol will have a plan and as supporters we have got to support her vision and hope that the part of equation that is rarely mentioned; luck, comes good. 

Carol and Kevin built a successful business by also hiring competent, skilled staff. I doubt they would hire the cheapest programmers or consultants. They get the guys who can deliver. The same should apply to who they hire for Vale. 

15 hours ago, Birches Head Fred said:
15 hours ago, grand prix pants said:
Looks like the leaks have been plugged. Loving the silence!

Talking of Leek - I know for sure Neil Baker could do us a job.

Yes that well documented Stoke City Naughty 40 hooligan would be a great appointment !!!

10 hours ago, JRC said:

You can build a quorum easily against any manager. As soon as the manager is out there is never agreement on a replacement.  When things go sour most fans can then say they always wanted someone else and the selection was a poor one. Then the merry-go-round starts all over.

The best way to avoid this is to appoint a good manager so things don't go sour. Then those dastardly moaners will be flummoxed!

54 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The best way to avoid this is to appoint a good manager so things don't go sour. Then those dastardly moaners will be flummoxed!

Despite what Pugh said about not being ready for the job and what carol said I’m afraid a few decent results in the next couple of weeks and I reckon Pugh will get the job I hope I’m wrong 

57 minutes ago, Joe B said:

All experienced managers who are prepared to drop to league 2 are failed managers somewhere, or not experienced.  A good manager is one who has a good next season. At some point a bad season comes along. There are few chairmen who stick with a manager like Bratt did with Rudge. When Rudge went 12 league games without a win in 85/86 there were very few fans who didn't favour a change.

7 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Despite what Pugh said about not being ready for the job and what carol said I’m afraid a few decent results in the next couple of weeks and I reckon Pugh will get the job I hope I’m wrong 

If he does well he may well do. Be interesting to see how his 2 deadline day signings do. Guthrie and Taylor were on the cards before Askey left. I assume the other 2 are more players he has elected to sign.

32 minutes ago, JRC said:

All experienced managers who are prepared to drop to league 2 are failed managers somewhere, or not experienced.  A good manager is one who has a good next season. At some point a bad season comes along. There are few chairmen who stick with a manager like Bratt did with Rudge. When Rudge went 12 league games without a win in 85/86 there were very few fans who didn't favour a change.

Bratt did with Rudge?Bratt changed managers more than he changed his socks.Billy BELL,JRC.😉

52 minutes ago, JRC said:

There will always be dissent, as you're polling the views of 4000 different people with very different views on how the world works.

A good appointment will quickly win them all over.

58 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I am of the same view. Not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, but just the gut feeling I get.

38 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I am of the same view. Not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, but just the gut feeling I get.

I'd be okay with that providing it was made clear it was until the end of the season only and a good appointment would be made then.

If Pugh did manage some extraordinary winning run then of course they could say the situation has changed and give it to him permanently.

Trouble is that all the noises were made that a new manager would be appointed this week so some might be worried Carol would change her mind and give it to Pugh if he does 'okay'.

Archived