onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Nowt as fickle as football fans. Win Saturday and the majority will want danny until the end of the season, lose and this forum will explode with, we need a manager in asap!!
I see it like this, its less than a week since Carol said they were starting an interview process, she also said it won't be Danny, and also gave a breif summary of whats she's looking for from the new boss. I'm not doubting her word for a single minute. He may be announced before Saturday and sit in the stand and let Danny do his thing, it maybe early next week before we hear anything. Either way we are getting a new manager, I have no reason to doubt her whatsoever. Maybe we should show a little bit of patience, and see what unfolds. Carols at the wheel UTV

Advert

1 hour ago, Mario said:
2 hours ago, TylerB said:

If Pugh is given the job based on beating a couple of teams that should probably have been playing with mates across the road in Burslem Park instead, when we've apparently had tons of applicants who many will have actual experience, then the club deserves everything it will have coming to it. It would be Michael Brown all over again. Seems this club never learns.
Still, it will least appease all the happy clappers here with zero ambition who are a part of the reason for club hasn't gone anywhere for years.

Happy clappers on here lol Supporters of a club who are concerned what is going on at their club ....terrible, Im 110% certain the bin dippers will be getting the flares out if Klippity can't get his act together ......different story then I guess.

Err,......In English, perhaps....?

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I heard yesterday from the director of football of a national league team that it is very likely that they will vote to end the season as a lot of teams he has spoken to want that. 

I’d like to think we have ambitions of getting to league 1, not staying out of the national league. The sooner we get the right man, the sooner the good times come back. 

Don't ask me to qualify/justify this with reason and logic, as I can't, and I'm not ITK, but:

I have a decent hunch that Pugh will be in charge till the end of the season, with the promise to 'review things' then. That's my prediction, a gut feeling, which may be proven entirely wrong, as many of my predictions are.

I think a good chunk of the fanbase will be content with that, and others won't be happy at all (me, as per), and it'll all be rather fractious for a while as we finish in, I don't know, 15th.

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

My strong preference is we bring someone is before the season is out to let them assess the squad.

That said, if their isnt anyone out there who we consider good enough, I don't have a problem with waiting for the right man, as long as Danny P keeps us stable.

This would allow us to do one of two things.... 1) See if anyone else becomes available or 2) reassess next years total spend budget to create a little more room to increase the manager budget in order to attract someone who does fit the criteria 

Either way... folks wont be happy.

I'm with you there the one worry I would have if we don't get a new manager in to assess things is the dreaded retained list. 

A new incumbent needs to assess the squad on the training pitch and on a match day in order to evaluate who he wants to keep.

We have many players out of contract including some very injury prone players who sadly don't play enough to warrant an extension. 

Yet again for about the 6th year running it's ' a big summer up the Vale '. 

For me irrespective of if we put 6 up Tranmere we need a new guy in place to give them plenty of food  for thought come May 

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Don't ask me to qualify/justify this with reason and logic, as I can't, and I'm not ITK, but:

I have a decent hunch that Pugh will be in charge till the end of the season, with the promise to 'review things' then. That's my prediction, a gut feeling, which may be proven entirely wrong, as many of my predictions are.

I think a good chunk of the fanbase will be content with that, and others won't be happy at all (me, as per), and it'll all be rather fractious for a while as we finish in, I don't know, 15th.

It would be very if typical of vale to do that. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. 

Picture it:

Danny Pugh oversees things till May. We finish 18th and it's not been good enough, so he steps down back to First Team Coach and we appoint External Manager X.

External Manager X arrives. The players are at home/abroad (if allowed). He has a salary cap. He knows some need to be released but he's never seen 'Manny Oyeleke', 'Alex Hurst', or 'Mark Cullen' in a competitive game before. He knows a bit, but he hasn't seen them train. He asks around; Pugh, Sinclair, Garlick. They tell him what they think. No new, external perspective.

He has the oldest squad in the league in front of him. He has £1.5m to work with. How on earth does he make an informed decision about who to retain and release?

He makes his decision, satisfied. He moves onto signings. He has a rough idea of what positions he wants to buy, but obviously needs to work with the recruitment department to ensure he isn't making any mistakes and can get the best bang for his buck.

He introduces himself to the scouts, and says he wants a Left Back, Centre Half, and Right Winger. They offer him a list. Manager X hasn't heard of one, and has never seen the other two live. He doesn't have time to think about it/scout them himself; these players have offers on the table. Either pull the trigger or miss out.

He pulls the trigger on 3 players he's never seen, entirely on the basis on scouts he's just met. He releases and retains players, based on the opinions of people already at the club and maybe a bit of match footage. He draws up a training plan, hoping he can implement a brand-new system, instil his values, and create a cohesive unit, all within 5-6 weeks of training.

Compare this to a manager who has been in situ since February, knows by April who he's releasing and who he wants to sign, and has already installed the way he wants to operate and his tactics. We nail the summer window as we are well prepared and act early and decisively. The dead wood is swiftly despatched in an informed decision-making process, and pre-season can be focused on fitness and cohesion, instead of an entirely new tactical set-up. The fans, buoyant over their new manager, but STs and merchandise in larger numbers, and the buzz builds. 

Does anyone else see the issue? This is all very hyperbolic but the underlying issues stand. This is why 'Pugh till the summer' is not the best idea.

26 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Surely if Wimbledon have a chance of getting him then there’s no reason we couldn’t get him? They could well be in league 2 next season anyway 

If Cowley goes there and they drop to L2 then i would be pleased he hadn't come here.

5 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Depends on the size of the chance or someone`s imagination

Nothing to do with imagination.........I'm sure Carol has the imagination in spades, but if she aint got the funds to back up her dreams then thats just what they are .....Dreams.

2 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Nothing to do with imagination.........I'm sure Carol has the imagination in spades, but if she aint got the funds to back up her dreams then thats just what they are .....Dreams.

I was commenting on bookies odds,  based on imagination or weight of money. Can swiftly change on long shots.  How much money for a Romford boy to work in Burslem ?  Dreaming is easy being realist is reality.

Archived