onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

If the National League do decide to cancel their season there really is no need to make an appointment now. Give it to Pugh until the end of the season and then make the appointment

Having recently seen Grimsby and Southend i’d suggest we may have enough points now ,to stay up.If the National League vote to cancel their season then we won’t have to bother our arses.I think we should appoint a new manager soon if only to prepare for next season most likely in League 2 but an outside chance of League 1.UTV.

12 minutes ago, TylerB said:

That would be different. But I wouldn't be surprised if the club isn't just holding things off in the hope that Pugh has enough time to perhaps put a few results together so that they can then appoint him and tell everyone that he deserved the opportunity. 

We're a mess as a club, particularly on the field, and appointing a bloke from within who has next to no experience as a manager to suddenly start to put things right would be shocking.

This feel like creating negative scenarios to get angry about.

The only way Danny ends up with this job is if he pulls an amazing run out of the bag and earns the opportunity AND he changes his mind and says he wants it.

There's so much to be gained by getting a manager appointed before the end of the season.

I don't understand this fixation with only preparing for next season when this one is finished.

If this season does have nothing riding on it, then that only incentivises getting a new manager in ASAP, so he can plan for next season without an immediate demand on results. He can evaluate his squad, implement his tactics, and plan his recruitment, knowing the budget and the recruitment team, take risks on young lads to get a good look at them, try out different systems etc. 

If we just 'give it to Pugh', and he isn't good enough (which there is a chance of) and we have to make a change, then we end up parachuting a manager in and expecting him to overhaul the squad (under a salary cap) and mount a top 7 challenge without much preparation time, having never seen the players in competitive action, not knowing the scouts, and having only a pre-season to impose his values, tactics, and approach.

You're essentially gambling on Pugh being good enough to get a contract for next season as well; the chips you are using to bet is 5 months of preparation for the new man, which are vital at this level as the salary cap makes things 10x more difficult. 

I keep saying this, and I'll keep banging on until the concept of 'just meander to the summer and figure it out then' disappears. Prepare now.

If Pugh is given the job based on beating a couple of teams that should probably have been playing with mates across the road in Burslem Park instead, when we've apparently had tons of applicants who many will have actual experience, then the club deserves everything it will have coming to it. It would be Michael Brown all over again. Seems this club never learns.
Still, it will least appease all the happy clappers here with zero ambition who are a part of the reason for club hasn't gone anywhere for years.
Happy clappers on here lol Supporters of a club who are concerned what is going on at their club ....terrible, Im 110% certain the bin dippers will be getting the flares out if Klippity can't get his act together ......different story then I guess.

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There's so much to be gained by getting a manager appointed before the end of the season.

I don't understand this fixation with only preparing for next season when this one is finished.

If this season does have nothing riding on it, then that only incentivises getting a new manager in ASAP, so he can plan for next season without an immediate demand on results. He can evaluate his squad, implement his tactics, and plan his recruitment, knowing the budget and the recruitment team, take risks on young lads to get a good look at them, try out different systems etc. 

If we just 'give it to Pugh', and he isn't good enough (which there is a chance of) and we have to make a change, then we end up parachuting a manager in and expecting him to overhaul the squad (under a salary cap) and mount a top 7 challenge without much preparation time, having never seen the players in competitive action, not knowing the scouts, and having only a pre-season to impose his values, tactics, and approach.

You're essentially gambling on Pugh being good enough to get a contract for next season as well; the chips you are using to bet is 5 months of preparation for the new man, which are vital at this level as the salary cap makes things 10x more difficult. 

I keep saying this, and I'll keep banging on until the concept of 'just meander to the summer and figure it out then' disappears. Prepare now.

But keep dilly-dallying for 4 more games so I win some money. Cheers.

29 minutes ago, gags 64 said:

If the National League do decide to cancel their season there really is no need to make an appointment now. Give it to Pugh until the end of the season and then make the appointment

I heard yesterday from the director of football of a national league team that it is very likely that they will vote to end the season as a lot of teams he has spoken to want that. 

20 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

appointing a bloke from within who has next to no experience as a manager to suddenly start to put things right would be shocking.

It's worked before.

I would expect the next but one manager to be from within, a line of progression identified.  If Pugh gets results over the next month or so bring an old hand in to assist him, if a suitable manager has not being appointed

What if we cant find someone in our budget that suits the criteria at this time and we decide to hold out until we find the man think is best suited and let Danny hold the tiller until that point? Do we "Deserve everything we have coming to us" then?
Yes because if we can't afford the going rate for a league two manager then we don't deserve to be in league two
But money is not the issue Carol knows what she will need to pay for the kind of manager we want and rightly so she is doing her due diligence. There is no need to rush she can take a couple more weeks and get it right. The new guy needs time to plan for next season and see what he needs to do In the summer otherwise it will be to much of a rushed job going into next season and that's the only reason he's got to be in place sooner than later.

57 minutes ago, Joe B said:

This. 846% this.

I would also say that I'm a little more sanguine than some people about us not having someone in already, (even without having a bet on Pugh getting 10 games!), a month after Askey left. Carol and co are absolutely right in taking time to make sure it's the right person and that we're not being held to ransom as a result of any desperation (haste) to appoint.

At the start of the season we had a long-term plan and believed that Askey was the man to implement it, so wouldn't have planned to part with him until our disastrous Christmas/New Year games. As such, we weren't like a lot of clubs parting with managers in already having succession plans in place or someone potentially lined up as a replacement, hence it is a longer, full recruitment process we are following, with plenty of time allowed for candidates to get applications in (and possibly extra time afforded whilst we speak to and attempt to persuade additional applicants?).

With Pugh in charge there was, as stated, no need to rush the process given the owners have faith in him and his abilities to keep things ticking over, but the Scunthorpe game and fan reaction to the lack of comms clearly led to us upping the urgency (speed) of the process a bit, perhaps moving forward the shortlisting and interview stages. Either way, let's just let the process run its course, whether that's another 12 hours or 12 days, forget all the rumours and hearsay, have a bit of faith in the owners, have a beer, and wait for the white smoke over the Synectics office.

4 minutes ago, dishydave said:

Yes because if we can't afford the going rate for a league two manager then we don't deserve to be in league two
But money is not the issue Carol knows what she will need to pay for the kind of manager we want and rightly so she is doing her due diligence. There is no need to rush she can take a couple more weeks and get it right. The new guy needs time to plan for next season and see what he needs to do In the summer otherwise it will be to much of a rushed job going into next season and that's the only reason he's got to be in place sooner than later.

Agree with this... but we don't want an average league 2 manager... we want one that's been successful and they demand more cash. 

Its not as easy as saying "Money isnt the issue"... this year, more than any in football it dwarfs any other issue there is! But I get your point that Carol will be aware if this and the going rate she needs to pay.

We must also remember that its not just a one dimensional negotiation. IF Flitcroft has turned us down, it may not be because of the headline salary total, it could have been over an agreement on what his pay out would be if he got sacked. If he is holding out for 100% of his remaining contract rather than the 3 months that was rumoured (emphasis on rumoured) to be in Askeys contract then that could have been the sticking point.

Important we will be fishing in the pool of what's available. That will mean:

1. people out of work who we can afford

2. people within work that we can afford to pay compensation, afford their wages and who are willing to leave their current role

I think that's a round about way of agreeing with you... haha

1 hour ago, Clayts said:

This. 846% this.

I would also say that I'm a little more sanguine than some people about us not having someone in already, (even without having a bet on Pugh getting 10 games!), a month after Askey left. Carol and co are absolutely right in taking time to make sure it's the right person and that we're not being held to ransom as a result of any desperation (haste) to appoint.

At the start of the season we had a long-term plan and believed that Askey was the man to implement it, so wouldn't have planned to part with him until our disastrous Christmas/New Year games. As such, we weren't like a lot of clubs parting with managers in already having succession plans in place or someone potentially lined up as a replacement, hence it is a longer, full recruitment process we are following, with plenty of time allowed for candidates to get applications in (and possibly extra time afforded whilst we speak to and attempt to persuade additional applicants?).

With Pugh in charge there was, as stated, no need to rush the process given the owners have faith in him and his abilities to keep things ticking over, but the Scunthorpe game and fan reaction to the lack of comms clearly led to us upping the urgency (speed) of the process a bit, perhaps moving forward the shortlisting and interview stages. Either way, let's just let the process run its course, whether that's another 12 hours or 12 days, forget all the rumours and hearsay, have a bit of faith in the owners, have a beer, and wait for the white smoke over the Synectics office.

Fully agree. There is no short-term rush to get the right man in at the right price - I just questioned the view of some of 'give it to Pugh and have a re-think in the summer'. We need to be far more proactive than that, and I hope Carol will be. 

Archived