onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

If he can find someone willing to pay him that then good luck to him, let him go and get it. We’re offering a wage in these challenging times and know that success means that the manager will move on or if sacked have their contract paid up in full. We’re a good club with a medium sized budget for L2. We’re not a soft touch and we shouldn’t be letting any Billy Big B****x be rinsing us.

Apart from a rumour on Facebook, does anybody actually know we are haggling over wages? That wasn't a dig, just a genuine question. Maybe the shortlist is being worked right now. Does anybody actually know Flitcroft was a done deal, or is it just assumed because of the bookies odds? Too many people claiming their in the know, when in reality, they've heard a rumour. I don't mind Pugh carrying on until we get the right man, speed not haste.

9 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I’m not asking about the cup run in isolation.

I get you don’t want him... that’s fine.

But if the vale had a 40% win rate, made the playoffs and made the league cup quarter final next season... you wouldn’t call that a success? 

But you are asking about 1 season in isolation to prove him a successful manager?

Yes, it would be a good season. But it's not a proven record of success is it??

He made the playoffs once in 4 years at Colchester & that was potentially at our expense, due to the season finishing early last year.

They looked anything but playoff material when we played them just before the season was cut short & I dare say we would've probably taken their spot had the season been completed in full.

I don't want this to come across as a McGreal bashing session. I just genuinely don’t understand the draw with him at all.

Just to add... John Askey has a 40% win % in his managerial career across 3 different clubs... McGreals one season @ 40% isn't that impressive. His career win % is around 37% & all at 1 club.

But he isn't so it is - in my opinion.  We'd get Cowley for that sort of cash.
Cowley was on 140 at Lincoln but I suppose you'd have to almost double it with his brother. I think I read that the lowest paid manager was on 49k in league 2 last year it was in the report about staff cost within football

1 minute ago, ValeForever. said:

But you are asking about 1 season in isolation to prove him a successful manager?

Yes, it would be a good season. But it's not a proven record of success is it??

He made the playoffs once in 4 years at Colchester & that was potentially at our expense, due to the season finishing early last year.

They looked anything but playoff material when we played them just before the season was cut short & I dare say we would've probably taken their spot had the season been completed in full.

I don't want this to come across as a McGreal bashing session. I just genuinely don’t understand the draw with him at all.

No that’s all fair... It’s all opinions.

But if we can’t judge him for one season, we can’t judge him on one game ... last season is the only time we have managed to beat a McGreal managed Colchester in 6 attempts. 

I always hated playing them and was always pleased when we managed to scrape a draw.

Apart from a rumour on Facebook, does anybody actually know we are haggling over wages? That wasn't a dig, just a genuine question. Maybe the shortlist is being worked right now. Does anybody actually know Flitcroft was a done deal, or is it just assumed because of the bookies odds? Too many people claiming their in the know, when in reality, they've heard a rumour. I don't mind Pugh carrying on until we get the right man, speed not haste.
I would of thought the pay is discussed before you even bother getting to the interview stage otherwise it's just wasting everyones time.

11 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

It's reported he was on £10k a week at Huddersfield.  No way would he expect to get that in League 2.  Don't even know if he's applied though.

It would be highly doubtful we'd get him at all then.

I'm sure he'd fancy his stock has risen a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

But if we can’t judge him for one season, we can’t judge him on one game ... last season is the only time we have managed to beat a McGreal managed Colchester in 6 attempts. 

I always hated playing them and was always pleased when we managed to scrape a draw.

There would be a hell of alot of managers on the list if we were going after managers we've struggled against in the past.

Just purely for balance...

John Askey 40.9% win ratio over 406 games as a manager. Across National League, League 2 & League 1.

John McGreal 37.4% win ratio over 203 games as a manager, all for Colchester in League 2. Made the playoffs once in a season cut short due to Covid.

No brainer for me 👎

3 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

There would be a hell of alot of managers on the list if we were going after managers we've struggled against in the past.

Just purely for balance...

John Askey 40.9% win ratio over 406 games as a manager. Across National League, League 2 & League 1.

John McGreal 37.4% win ratio over 203 games as a manager, all for Colchester in League 2. Made the playoffs once in a season cut short due to Covid.

No brainer for me 👎

75% of Askey's games are in the Conference. You can't just lob 'across League 1 and League 2' in there like they were split three ways.

I don't think you can call Mc greal successful. But as you say Colchester were a good side and always played good football.

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Better a Pugh signing than no signing, at least they give us options. Pugh is quite capable of looking after the shop, no need for a rush job.

Nothing wrong with chugging along with Pugh at the helm in my book, but I think we'd be back to the likely scenario of fans slating Sinclair for ranting from the touchline every week.

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

75% of Askey's games are in the Conference. You can't just lob 'across League 1 and League 2' in there like they were split three ways.

He's managed double the games! I was merely highlighting his vaster experience across 3 different leagues with 3 different sides. I'd say the difference between National League & League 2 is fairly tangible these days as well, let's be honest.

Just raising a point off the back of the win % point of view.

Let's see what happens anyway. Hopefully an announcement this week👍🏼

36 minutes ago, connor hackett said:

This is the curse of the In the Knowers... they would have been better served keeping the confidence of the people who told them until it was sorted.

Now people are disappointed about something that may never have been happening.

Archived