onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

12 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

If he's applied, that's really encouraging. I looked up the base data on Adams, Flitcroft and McGreal:

McGreal 

Clubs managed: 1

Promotions: 1 play-off

Win ratio: 37.4%

Flitcroft

Clubs managed: 5

Promotions: 1 (Bury)

Win ratio: 40.1%

Plus, two successful relegation fights

Adams

Clubs managed: 3

Promotions: 3 (Ross County twice; Plymouth Argyle; plus one play-off with Plymouth; and, currently Morecambe in 4th L2)

Win ratio: 42%

Plus, voted PFA Manager of the Year for Scotland 2011-12

To my mind, that puts Adams in pole position but it clearly depends, importantly, on whether our owners think he is a good fit for their ambitions for the club and its culture: it's clearly much more than track record. 

I'm really pleased to hear you say he's applied and I hope you're right because it looks as if he knows how to manage. 

Good luck to Carole and Co as they make this decision: UTV. 

Why do people think adams has any chance we have no chwnce of getting him hes within touching distance of the top with morecombe why would he want to leave that for a relegation scrap with us. Baffling how anyone thinks we have a chance of getting him

Advert

21 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

If he's applied, that's really encouraging. I looked up the base data on Adams, Flitcroft and McGreal:

McGreal 

Clubs managed: 1

Promotions: 1 play-off

Win ratio: 37.4%

Flitcroft

Clubs managed: 5

Promotions: 1 (Bury)

Win ratio: 40.1%

Plus, two successful relegation fights

Adams

Clubs managed: 3

Promotions: 3 (Ross County twice; Plymouth Argyle; plus one play-off with Plymouth; and, currently Morecambe in 4th L2)

Win ratio: 42%

Plus, voted PFA Manager of the Year for Scotland 2011-12

To my mind, that puts Adams in pole position but it clearly depends, importantly, on whether our owners think he is a good fit for their ambitions for the club and its culture: it's clearly much more than track record. 

I'm really pleased to hear you say he's applied and I hope you're right because it looks as if he knows how to manage. 

Good luck to Carole and Co as they make this decision: UTV. 

How can Adams be in pole position?

He’s already in a job. It would cost money to release him from his contract and there’s nothing on any news feeds to say he’s even remotely interested. Added to this he got a reasonable chance of adding another promotion to his CV so money apart why would he want to go backwards in trying to resuscitate Vale?

if he does come then credit to him as most wouldn’t.

19 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

How can Adams be in pole position?

He’s already in a job. It would cost money to release him from his contract and there’s nothing on any news feeds to say he’s even remotely interested. Added to this he got a reasonable chance of adding another promotion to his CV so money apart why would he want to go backwards in trying to resuscitate Vale?

if he does come then credit to him as most wouldn’t.

Even in these crazy times, we haven’t gone so wacky that Morecombe will get promoted.

bet.

Soothsayer

Read it again: on the basis of form and track record, he is the best of the three. Undeniably. I deliberately said these data were only part of the picture IF he had applied. The rest is up to him and the club. 

And the assumption that your news feed might have something to say about a private application made by a private individual in a confidential and competitive setting is just nonsense.

And it's clear why he might want to apply to the Vale. We are a bigger club with more potential despite our current wretched position; with good, ambitious owners, a better stadium, bigger crowds and a history of being in higher divisions. In short, much more long-term potential than Morecambe who would find it difficult to survive in a higher division on the resources they have.

And most wouldn't apply? That's not what the club has said. We'll see.

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

That would seem strange given Plymouth’s crowds for league 2.

None of this matters though if he doesn’t want the job. If he gets Morcambe promoted he will be seen as a miracle worker and will be looked at for top end league 1 or even championship jobs.

He would have been my choice too... but we ha e to stop the obsession. 

Well, I meant it was more limited in League One. It was "competitive" in League Two

It happens all the time that managers trade their short term success at a small club for a club having a hard time but with potential.

not saying we are Barca but come on, Morecombe!

bloody Morecombe !

MORECOMBE!!??

2 minutes ago, 1 said:

It happens all the time that managers trade their short term success at a small club for a club having a hard time but with potential.

not saying we are Barca but come on, Morecombe!

blood Morecombe !

MORECOMBE!!??

Its by the sea 😄

3 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Soothsayer

Read it again: on the basis of form and track record, he is the best of the three. Undeniably. I deliberately said these data were only part of the picture IF he had applied. The rest is up to him and the club. 

And the assumption that your news feed might have something to say about a private application made by a private individual in a confidential and competitive setting is just nonsense.

And it's clear why he might want to apply to the Vale. We are a bigger club with more potential despite our current wretched position; with good, ambitious owners, a better stadium, bigger crowds and a history of being in higher divisions. In short, much more long-term potential than Morecambe who would find it difficult to survive in a higher division on the resources they have.

And most wouldn't apply? That's not what the club has said. We'll see.

No argument with anything here, sensibly written and no claims of being in the know.

Now let’s have a sensible debate on this. My point isn’t that the vale is attractive compared to Morcambe... it’s that the vale has to be attractive compared to OTHER jobs Adams could get if he completes the job with them. 

If he fails, and they fall short he will still be seen as an excellent manager and will be up for posts like the vale or Bradford. He was already 3rd favourite for the sheff Wednesday job. If however he succeeds, he will have his pick of jobs in league 1 or above over the next 12 months. That’s what you need to compare the Vale opportunity against. 

Anyone coming with the basic argument of the vale being bigger than Morcambe have failed to think this through beyond the immediate term and the options Adams will have if he continues this job at Morcambe.

The risk of him being able to replicate that with us vs staying where he is and getting a golden ticket is pretty high.

My guess is Adams leaves Morcambe in the close season, whether they are promoted or not and gets a job the layman would consider better than the vale job.

Archived