onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

Is it possible Flitcroft May also know Colin Garlick from his time at Rochdale?  For me Flitcroft is a steady lower league manager who has a promotion on his CV(all be it with  Bury’s overspending) also was he not on course for promotion with Swindon before his departure to Mansfield? He might not be somebody whose appointment would excite everybody but for me he would be an okay appointment for where we are now, but in our position he is probably the best you are going to get if you want experience. Not sure McGreal would excite me too much though as not convinced he fits Carols proven sucess statement.

15 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Your comment was you didn’t see either of them fulfilling the criteria.

Flitcroft has a promotion and a playoff run as manager doesn’t he?

Either of them may turn out to be excellent appointments but when you look at their records compared with Derek Adams they just don't stand up.  That's what I find a bit disappointing.  There may well be financial issues here - I fully understand that - but I would really like to know who is doing all the interviews and making the decisions.  It looks like Carol has said one thing then something different happens.  I may just be paranoid though - remembering our former owner's approach to managerial appointments!!  "I've been astonished by the quality of the applicants" which got us all excited then we got bloody Bruno!!!

Just now, Jacko51 said:

Either of them may turn out to be excellent appointments but when you look at their records compared with Derek Adams they just don't stand up.  That's what I find a bit disappointing.  There may well be financial issues here - I fully understand that - but I would really like to know who is doing all the interviews and making the decisions.  It looks like Carol has said one thing then something different happens.  I may just be paranoid though - remembering our former owner's approach to managerial appointments!!  "I've been astonished by the quality of the applicants" then we got bloody Bruno!!!

But that “one thing” Carol has said you have called out is “success”... but Flitcroft has that doesn’t he? That’s what’s confused me about your comment.

3 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

And the rumours .. Pope and Pugh are now pulling the strings with the appointment apparently...I think if it wasn’t lockdown it wouldn’t be so silly .. people are bored and have completed Netflix .. they need their fix for drama emoji624.png

Seems that you are the drama queen here "dazzer"! - I merely offered the suggestion that maybe (did you happen to notice the question mark at the end?!) Pugh and Pope's views had been taken into account, as they have previous experience of Flitcroft's management, and Carol has extolled both of their input at different points since she took charge.

Ale and the vale podcast making some interesting on Derek Adam’s’... His football was awful meaning Carols attractive football box isn’t ticked and no one from his teams have gone on to better things meaning the young player development element box isn’t ticked.

Yet some have locked him in as the benchmark of ticking all the boxes. 

I mean, Jacko51 is amongst the most supportive posters on here of Carol/Port Vale.
I'm happy to be called a vulture as I'm a miserable old man, but I would say Jean is definitely not in that bracket and if she's sharing concerns, they're probably well-grounded. Wide of the mark here, mate.
Have you read all the comments on here and social media, never mentioned Jacko suggest you go back and look accusing Carol of over promising ...Ridiculous

2 minutes ago, Mario said:
26 minutes ago, Joe B said:
I mean, Jacko51 is amongst the most supportive posters on here of Carol/Port Vale.
I'm happy to be called a vulture as I'm a miserable old man, but I would say Jean is definitely not in that bracket and if she's sharing concerns, they're probably well-grounded. Wide of the mark here, mate.

Have you read all the comments on here and social media, never mentioned Jacko suggest you go back and look accusing Carol of over promising ...Ridiculous

No was merely making the point that Jacko was one of those who were a bit underwhelmed. If she's offering that view, as a sensible and supportive fan, then maybe it's not such a ludicrous position to hold.

As I've said; I'm fine with Flitcroft or McGreal. Can't say I'm excited, but not bad appointments.

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Ale and the vale podcast making some interesting on Derek Adam’s’... His football was awful meaning Carols attractive football box isn’t ticked and no one from his teams have gone on to better things meaning the young player development element box isn’t ticked.

Yet some have locked him in as the benchmark of ticking all the boxes. 

His football isn't that bad; was pretty decent in his promotion year with Plymouth. He's had to adapt at Morecambe which is a sign of a good manager.

I love that Carol is so ambitious with this criteria but I think, at heart, Vale fans want wins and promotions, with Adams provides.

To be fair to Carol, I wouldn't have her job at the moment for all the tea in China.  She will not please everyone and this is the first time she has been faced with making this sort of appointment.  She will, no doubt, have taken soundings from other folk but in the end, the buck stops with her.  That's why I hope whatever appointment she makes turns out to be a roaring success.  She deserves nothing less.

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

His football isn't that bad; was pretty decent in his promotion year with Plymouth. He's had to adapt at Morecambe which is a sign of a good manager.

I love that Carol is so ambitious with this criteria but I think, at heart, Vale fans want wins and promotions, with Adams provides.

Agree with all that, but I’m keen we assess all managers with a level ruler... his “pretty decent” football was at Plymouth who have a very decent budget for league 2.... something levelled against Flitcroft.

Im looking at this purely against the “ticking Carols boxes” requirement. All I’m saying is Adam’s certainly doesn’t tick them all.

Archived