onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

I think it's a tough one for Carol.

Her initial comments about not appointing a manager and sticking with Pugh caused a lot of concern in the fanbase (and rightly so, considering the on-field shambles).

Has she, in an effort to settle things down (which has been successful), slightly overpromised on the managerial appointment? To the point where people began to hope for Adams/Parkinson/Adkins etc.

McGreal and Flitcroft are both reasonable League 2 appointments; unlikely to get the pulses racing but also likely to see us be a decent side at this level without breaking the bank. It may be that that is all that is viable at present.

As I've said before; as well as getting a manager in, we need to sort out recruitment. We could have Guardiola in the dugout but if we continue to 'miss' on so many signings, we'll struggle again next season.

I could be satisfied with McGreal/Flitcroft on the basis that our signings are a bit more imaginative and have a better 'hit' rate in the summer, but, as Jacko has said, a few fans will have expected a bit more. 

Advert

I think it's a tough one for Carol.
Her initial comments about no appointing a manager and sticking with Pugh caused a lot of concern in the fanbase (and rightly so, considering the on-field shambles).
Has she, in an effort to settle things down (which has been successful), slightly overpromised on the managerial appointment? To the point where people began to hope for Adams/Parkinson/Adkins etc.
McGreal and Flitcroft are both reasonable League 2 appointments; unlikely to get the pulses racing but also likely to see us be a decent side at this level without breaking the bank. It may be that that is all that is viable at present.
As I've said before; as well as getting a manager in, we need to sort out recruitment. We could have Guardiola in the dugout but if we continue to 'miss' on so many signings, we'll struggle again next season.
I could be satisfied with McGreal/Flitcroft on the basis that our signings are a bit more imaginative and have a better 'hit' rate in the summer, but, as Jacko has said, a few fans will have expected a bit more. 

Carol’s comments lead me to expect more

6 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

1 promotion is not a proven record of success especially at a team with the biggest budget in the league. My nan would have got them promoted with that kind of budget.

just watched his video that someone’s posted and he sounds like he should managing Sneyd Arms and not Port Vale.

If it is him then what a completely wasted opportunity especially after the points set about Carol earlier in the week on what kind of manager they were looking for

So your criteria of success is 2 or more promotions?

1 minute ago, Mario said:

Aye aye the vultures are circling just waiting to pounce we dont know who the new gaffer is and the moaning starts

I mean, Jacko51 is amongst the most supportive posters on here of Carol/Port Vale.

I'm happy to be called a vulture as I'm a miserable old man, but I would say Jean is definitely not in that bracket and if she's sharing concerns, they're probably well-grounded. Wide of the mark here, mate.

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The last time we had success we had appointed a man with 3 promotions under his belt, 500 games largely above League 2, and had managed in the Premier League.

It does feel we're a long, long way off appointing anyone of that nature.

Is there one of those available though? Especially in our price range?

Just now, Iron Curtain said:

Is there one of those available though? Especially in our price range?

That's what I mean with my last comment.

I think McGreal/Flitcroft, steady League 2 managers, are probably our limit right now. Which is fine, providing the club progresses and we rebuild the squad.

Aye aye the vultures are circling just waiting to pounce we dont know who the new gaffer is and the moaning starts

And the rumours .. Pope and Pugh are now pulling the strings with the appointment apparently...I think if it wasn’t lockdown it wouldn’t be so silly .. people are bored and have completed Netflix .. they need their fix for drama

Archived