onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

10 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

He took Plymouth backwards after getting them out of league 2 and their football regressed. 

Adams could regress our football all he wants, if he gets us promoted (they actually finished 7th in their first season in League 1, then it went a bit wrong).

I just want to win some games and enjoy being a Port Vale fan, for once. The bloke has won promotions at every club he's managed and has Morecambe, perennial strugglers, in with a real shot. He's no Westley, that's for sure.

The chances of us finding a Rudge for the long-term is very low; a manager to sort this mess out and get us promoted, ala Micky, is the best route. Micky then reached his ceiling in the league above and we went for the inexperienced, up and coming manager, which was a decent plan until Norman got drunk and made some silly decisions.

Advert

As a reminder, Adams:

Ross County

Won promotion from Scottish Div 2 to Div 1

Won promotion from Scottish Div 1 to Premier

Finished 5th 

Finished 7th

Plymouth

Playoffs League 2

Promotion from League 2

7th in League 1

Sacked after a poor season

Morecambe

Currently third with a game in hand on one of the lowest budgets in the league, reaching the third round of the FA Cup and being described as 'transformational' in a short space of time.

The bloke has had one bad season after over-performance with Plymouth. If he's in any way interested, it's an absolute no brainer and every effort must me made to attract him. 

15 hours ago, MBE said:

Not beyond the realms of possibility but I do doubt it. You don't have a 2 or 3 week window for applications to be the manager at a professional football club. 

I could be wrong but I feel its more a change of position following more poor results and crucially performances. It forced the hand but this line saves face for Pugh, portraying he is not interested in the managers job so any new manager can be assured he isn't going to try and undermine him for the top job.

How long do you allow? Pugh has more sense, a period as Assistant manager is the next step, either at the Vale or elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Colchester United Chairman after he sacked McGreal:

Explaining his decision to sack McGreal, chairman Cowling said: “I spoke with John McGreal to explain that the club is going to be implementing a new plan that will see the first team being even more tightly aligned to the academy and that I along with my three other directors, (Tony Humes, Tony Ashby and Jon De Souza), felt a change of first team head coach was required if our new direction was to be successfully implemented.“

Think there was also mass budgetary cuts (released Nouble, Prosser etc) which would have played a part. Similar reason as to why Clough left Burton.

Carol has a good relationship with Cowling so I imagine McGreal is in a very strong position. He ticks the boxes, largely, and will be within budget. 

Would be a solid appointment.

40 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Do you have a source for this? Interested to see!

I had a look on companies house but they pull Smurthwaite's trick of not being transparent and omitting the P&L from the report. They only display the balance sheet so I can't see salaries.

I have been trying to find the article all morning and cant find it... I'm sure I read that the owner had put in huge sums to the playing budget and was slowly reducing his input.

I may be wrong... It could be one of those false memories.

2 minutes ago, osprey said:

Great - but why leave Morecombe to risk it at Vale in the present circumstances. Doesn’t really make sense.

I don’t think he will. Not unless we pay him a mega wage. I don’t think he is worth it either. I don’t think his style of football is much fun to watch and many of my main issues with Askey were not just the results but the quality. 

I have been trying to find the article all morning and cant find it... I'm sure I read that the owner had put in huge sums to the playing budget and was slowly reducing his input.
They paid 100k for Pell a few years ago so they obviously had more money than us when he was there

I felt sorry for Adams when he lost his job at Argyle and have no doubt he’d be a good manager for us. However he is contracted to a club who I’d assume are very satisfied with what he is doing and would therefore not allow us to hold talks with him, unless compensation had been agreed. If it had, why would we then conduct an interview process.? Surely if they allowed us to talk to him then he’ll be wondering, how much do Morecambe value him and if he wasn’t successful at becoming our manager then his time is limited at Morecambe.

19 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I don’t think he will. Not unless we pay him a mega wage. I don’t think he is worth it either. I don’t think his style of football is much fun to watch and many of my main issues with Askey were not just the results but the quality. 

Sod the style, give me some wins.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Less enthusiastic about Derek Adams. He seems to me a limited manager for limited clubs.

I'm with you . I think its a lot different managing clubs expected to challenge where you to have to build a team to be brave enough to play on the front foot rather than playing the underdog.

You are right mate

He was putting upto 1.4m in until 2016 where he announced he would reduce this year on year by 300k for 5 years

2 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

He was putting upto 1.4m in until 2016 where he announced he would reduce this year on year by 300k for 5 years

If memory serves me well I think that included the academy as well though which Colchester wanted to rely on more rather than signing experienced pros each year. 

Same model as Crewe.

16 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I felt sorry for Adams when he lost his job at Argyle and have no doubt he’d be a good manager for us. However he is contracted to a club who I’d assume are very satisfied with what he is doing and would therefore not allow us to hold talks with him, unless compensation had been agreed. If it had, why would we then conduct an interview process.? Surely if they allowed us to talk to him then he’ll be wondering, how much do Morecambe value him and if he wasn’t successful at becoming our manager then his time is limited at Morecambe.

Would depend upon the terms of his contract, as with some players they can have release clauses. We are not likely to employ a manager without a searching interview,  even if someone extraordinary turns up with  an impeccable L1/L2  CV.

Archived