onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

2 hours ago, dishydave said:

Derek Adams has a fantastic record and I get why he's everyones choice but I'm not sure I'd enjoy watching vale play like they did when we played them every week.

Yes agreed he does have an impressive record but I think it unlikely that he ll throw away the chance of a play off place with Morecambe: the associated publicity / kudos will surely help him to  league 1 job at some point rather than take a backward step in joining us?

Also, if he did join us be prepared for disappointment next January when he leaves us in a play off spot for what he perceives as a better opportunity... no use venting our vitriol on here in that case as its what he would have to do to Morecambe if he were to join us... but as I say I think it unlikely.

I think it will be Flitcroft or McGreal, probably both good managers actually. Whoever gets the job will need time and some backing. 

Lets preserve our league status this year and get through this horrible period... we have to hope that the powers that be are working hard enough (definitely) and smart enough (hopefully) to bring about a promotion challenge next year. Surely its not beyond us to do that if we all stick together and dig in.

UTV.

bassett.jpg

2 hours ago, dishydave said:

Derek Adams has a fantastic record and I get why he's everyones choice but I'm not sure I'd enjoy watching vale play like they did when we played them every week.

Sometimes Dave you have to make the most of what you have. I still feel that Vale have better players than Morecambe despite the league table suggesting I'm talking tripe . 

I don't know that much about them , Wildig has always caught my eye as a midfielder who can spot a pass .

The Morecambe I saw highlights of last week against Walsall and Exeter certainly don't park the bus. 

The reality is ( yes I know there are no crowds) , he has a team who every season are 24th in the list to get promoted. They sometimes struggle to get even 1000 through the gate for a night match. 

He has them in the top 3, also took them to the FA Cup 3rd round to a glamour tie at Chelsea. 

I'm not basing Morecambe's footballing approach on a dire game against ourselves. Their league position suggests it's more than nicking a goal and defending for their lives. Only recently smashed Colchester 3-0. 

Why on earth would he leave a side in the top 3 for us ?

Easy answer. Potential. Snaking queues across the car park for City and Walsall, potential 6000 gates if we are challenging. 

Derek Adams is unequivocally the stand out realistic candidate. And I wasn't that aware of him until a few posters on here like Cambridge, Norfolk and others pointed me towards him .

29 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If I had to guess what the shortlist would be, based on Carol's criteria, I'd go for:

John McGreal

David Flitcroft

Stephen Robinson

It is a really narrow field, if you look at out of work managers + success + don't play defensive football (which rules out Murray, Parkinson, and Coughlan you would assume).

I suppose if you were being loose, you'd add 

Adam Murray

Phil Parkinson

Graham Coughlan

And then a speculative phone call to Morecambe for Derek Adams, likely to be rejected.

Derek Adams has to be on the short list surely. 

I'd also add Simon Grayson to that list, but I have a sneaky feeling it will be John McGreal. I'm not in the know, it's just a hunch.

I think he would have likely applied for the job, won't cost the Earth and ticks all of Carol's boxes:

Works with Youth/Develops Players

Sammie Szmodics, Tom Lapsie, Courtney Senior, Harry Pell, Frank Nouble, Ben Stevenson, Kwame Poku, Cohen Bramall are all young players that McGreal either signed or brought through the youth system and all are players that have looked useful when I've seen them. I appreciate for every success there will be some failures, but it does seem he can spot a player.

Plays Attractive Football

Colchester have always been one of those teams I like watching against us (but obviously hoping we win!). Their front 3's always caused us issues and it always felt like we were under the cosh constantly! I used to watch them and think "why can't we play like this?". Szmodics was the standout but they never really relied on one person for goals and spread them around the team. I like this, as sometimes, having an outstanding individual goalscorer can turn a poor manager into a good one!

Successful

Finished 8th, 13th, 8th, 6th in his four seasons. As I mentioned in another post, it depends what Carol's definition of successful is and although he's not got a promotion under his belt, you could argue he's been successful in getting in or around the playoffs whilst also developing players and bringing through youth?

This makes interesting reading:

https://www.thesackrace.com/news/30th-december-2019/four-reasons-why-colchester-united-are-thriving-under-john-mcgreal

As does this! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/at-burnley-frank-sinclair-taught-3892490

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I just fear we immediately get knocked back/he's holding out for a League 1 job/he wants to see this job through.

Stranger things have happened, though.

He applied for the Bradford job though. And it’s rumoured he has a release clause in his contract. 

15 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I'd also add Simon Grayson to that list, but I have a sneaky feeling it will be John McGreal. I'm not in the know, it's just a hunch.

I think he would have likely applied for the job, won't cost the Earth and ticks all of Carol's boxes:

Works with Youth/Develops Players

Sammie Szmodics, Tom Lapsie, Courtney Senior, Harry Pell, Frank Nouble, Ben Stevenson, Kwame Poku, Cohen Bramall are all young players that McGreal either signed or brought through the youth system and all are players that have looked useful when I've seen them. I appreciate for every success there will be some failures, but it does seem he can spot a player.

Plays Attractive Football

Colchester have always been one of those teams I like watching against us (but obviously hoping we win!). Their front 3's always caused us issues and it always felt like we were under the cosh constantly! I used to watch them and think "why can't we play like this?". Szmodics was the standout but they never really relied on one person for goals and spread them around the team. I like this, as sometimes, having an outstanding individual goalscorer can turn a poor manager into a good one!

Successful

Finished 8th, 13th, 8th, 6th in his four seasons. As I mentioned in another post, it depends what Carol's definition of successful is and although he's not got a promotion under his belt, you could argue he's been successful in getting in or around the playoffs whilst also developing players and bringing through youth?

This makes interesting reading:

https://www.thesackrace.com/news/30th-december-2019/four-reasons-why-colchester-united-are-thriving-under-john-mcgreal

As does this! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/at-burnley-frank-sinclair-taught-3892490

That reads very well and is aligned to what Carol wants... I would be happy with McGreal

My top 3 are:

Danny Cowley (unrealistic)

Derek Adams

John McGreal

Interesting on McGreal

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/18923569.former-colchester-united-boss-john-mcgreal-ready-new-challenge/

“You’re looking for your next challenge and that’s what I’m doing at the moment and to try and improve on that last season that I had.

“I’ve had really good chats with two different chairmen in division two.

“I got offered a job a couple of weeks ago where the timing wasn’t quite right for me but it’s been quite positive."

This article was from 8th Dec 2020... I wonder who offered him a job, Grimsby, Barrow, Bradford?

Also his assistant, Steve Ball, took over at Colchester, meaning he is without a recognised number 2 meaning he would be willing to work with Pugh.

Archived