onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

18 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

He doesn't fit in with anything she has said so i am confident it wont be him

Hope you're right. I'd never heard about Coughlan until his name came up on here, so I looked him up on wiki:

"In 2018, Coughlan joined Bristol Rovers as a defensive coach. In December 2018, he was appointed caretaker manager following the departure of Darrell Clarke and Marcus Stewart. In January 2019, he was appointed on a permanent basis.

On 17 December 2019, Coughlan decided to accept an offer to become new manager of League Two Mansfield Town and left Bristol Rovers who at the time were 4th in the division above. It was reported that it was family reasons that he left, his family being based in South Yorkshire.

On 28 October 2020, Mansfield Town confirmed they had parted ways with Coughlan, after a poor start to the season.

Can't say I was too impressed!

Advert

If we’re looking at the style of play, it shouldn’t be the clown who turns up thinking that they can play like Pep Guardiola in league 2, that style won’t work in this league. 

The style should suit our key attacking players; David Worrall (our most creative), Kurtis Guthrie (our main striker) and the two youngsters that we’ve signed on long term contracts (Devante Rodney & Jake Taylor).

With the signing of Jake Taylor, I think the way forward is a continuation of our progress since Askey first came in, with the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation suiting Jake Taylor in particular as it appears that he has to play in a midfield three.

John McGreal is a clear and obvious choice, he knows how to get results and how to get into the play-offs in this league and he prefers to play 4-5-1 / 4-3-3.

I’m all for John McGreal, he’s the sensible option, in my opinion.

The only downside is that he’ll probably want to play Theo Robinson after he did well for him at Colchester, but as he is currently de-registered, I think it would be good to wait to 1st Feb to appoint him so that he can’t register him 🤣.

Kurtis Guthrie also did well for him in his first season at Colchester, got 12 goals in 36 appearances. 

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Maybe, what was the cut-off date for applications? Until then let them pile up, then sift them. Difficult not to have a glance through though. Too early for Pugh, otherwise he would have been knocking on her door, but seen as a potential manager worth developing.

Not beyond the realms of possibility but I do doubt it. You don't have a 2 or 3 week window for applications to be the manager at a professional football club. 

I could be wrong but I feel its more a change of position following more poor results and crucially performances. It forced the hand but this line saves face for Pugh, portraying he is not interested in the managers job so any new manager can be assured he isn't going to try and undermine him for the top job.

I think he nearly gave it to Brown before Bruno. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pugh eventually getting the job. Not this time but maybe next

Maybe in a few years he could be ready , a local non league outfit to build his CV and experience . I have no issue with Pugh. Just not what is needed right now

15 minutes ago, Volcano said:

If we’re looking at the style of play, it shouldn’t be the clown who turns up thinking that they can play like Pep Guardiola in league 2, that style won’t work in this league. 

The style should suit our key attacking players; David Worrall (our most creative), Kurtis Guthrie (our main striker) and the two youngsters that we’ve signed on long term contracts (Devante Rodney & Jake Taylor).

With the signing of Jake Taylor, I think the way forward is a continuation of our progress since Askey first came in, with the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation suiting Jake Taylor in particular as it appears that he has to play in a midfield three.

John McGreal is a clear and obvious choice, he knows how to get results and how to get into the play-offs in this league and he prefers to play 4-5-1 / 4-3-3.

The only downside is that he’ll probably want to play Theo Robinson after he did well for him at Colchester, but as he is currently de-registered, I think it would be good to wait to 1st Feb to appoint him so that he can’t register him 🤣.

Kurtis Guthrie also did well for him in his first season at Colchester, got 12 goals in 36 appearances. 

I thought once deregistered Robinson couldn’t be reregistered again. I stand to be corrected.

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

He doesn't fit in with anything she has said so i am confident it wont be him

It really does depend on what your definition of success is though. What was Coughlan's remit at Bristol. Mid table, reduce the budget and develop youth?

Did he do that/  I don't know but he certainly secure L1 mid table before clearly failing at Mansfield where his remit was promotion.

I'm not advocating anyone but there are quite a few managers I could look at and say they are successful but have not won a promotion from the league.

Its a question I would like the media to ask. What is the barometer of previous success? Developing youth, making a profit from developed players, previous promotion, managing tight budget, establish team in higher league etc. Most fans would automatically think promotion but  maybe the club are thinking slightly different.

Of course there is ambition to grow the club and climb the leagues - I'm questioning how? It could be steady through a development team or a win now scenario and we need promotion next season rather scouting and signing proven players.

21 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

He's been blessed with clubs that give him a blank chequebook in Bury and Mansfield so hard to say.

His Bury team was a real footballing side but expensively assembled with the likes of Danny Mayor, Jay O'Shea and Nicky Maynard.

He never had much cash at Chorley:

"Flitcroft was hugely successful at Chorley, earning them two promotions - as Northern Premier League Division One play-off winners in 2010–11 and then Premier Division Champions in 2013–14. ... On 2 July 2015, Flitcroft stepped down as manager and his assistant Matt Jansen was put in charge".

I’d be very happy with flitcroft. Good manager. Derek adams would still be my number 1 (realistic) choice. 

Agree with an earlier post re success. It depends how you view it. It could be that a manager has worked wonders with the youth and exceeded expectations to get say a mid table finish as opposed to promotion 

2 hours ago, Volcano said:

My preference would be for Derek Adams but I've always been impressed with McGreal. Every time we've been down to Colchester, he's given us a run for our money and I always wondered how he managed to get so much out of such a limited squad. I guess the answer is because he's a pretty good manager. Impressive.

Archived