onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

In some ways I am amazed so many other clubs have been able to keep going without any income, I thought more would have hit the wall by now. Personally I feel we need to maximise what we have, especially senior players on big wages. The theme of freezing out players like we did starting under Aspin with Worrall, is a disaster. McKirdy may well have looked bad, but he had a mere 5 games, only 1 from memory as a starter. 

That is a ridiculous waste of money, especially that as I write, he is still getting a weekly wage from us for nothing, equally Robinson. Their yearly wages would go towards the wage of a reasonable manager. 

Advert

5 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I'd have more faith in Askey than Danny <ovf censored> Pugh. To sack a manager that deserved the sack but had experience and replace him with an absolute chancer that's also mates with lots of the players at the club will be an absolutely appalling decision by Carol, no matter what sunshine people thinks shines out of her arse every passing second.

I defo don't want Pugh but you do have to take a step back to put into perspective. Since JA was sacked in the league we 1 won game with a clean sheet and picked up a good away point at a team pushing for automatic promotion. The improvement had been there. Since then the "Interim Manager" has been isolated at home, relied upon the kids coaches for the 1st team and was badly let down by 2 uncharacteristic goalkeeping errors. 

I really don't think Carol has much of a choice due to finances.

8 minutes ago, MBE said:

I defo don't want Pugh but you do have to take a step back to put into perspective. Since JA was sacked in the league we 1 won game with a clean sheet and picked up a good away point at a team pushing for automatic promotion. The improvement had been there. Since then the "Interim Manager" has been isolated at home, relied upon the kids coaches for the 1st team and was badly let down by 2 uncharacteristic goalkeeping errors. 

I really don't think Carol has much of a choice due to finances.

I get that. But I don't get why on earth you would sack Askey if you knew all along that Pugh was going to be the one taking over the reigns for the remainder of the season. Askey needed to go, but you it makes no sense to replace him with someone that's never managed a side before. At least Askey had experience and also did show that he was capable for us before it went pear shaped. Pugh has done absolutely nothing to warrant anything he's being handed to him.

She's basically replaced a dog turd with Cow <ovf censored>. It still <ovf censored> stinks all the same.

29 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There were accusations flying around about the players, and it didn't help that they referred to their new boss by his nickname.

My fear is that, for some players, 'Pughy' represents their best chance of a new deal in the salary cap world, as opposed to an Adams type who will have them out the door at the first opportunity.

At the end of the day if those players perform for 'Pughy' they will be successful. He will get the job permanently, we will be in the playoff places and those players would earn a new contract with us but would also be in demand elsewhere.  

If he keeps them around because they all get on and they don't perform 'Pughy' will be out on his ear at the end of the season and so will those players. If the team end up in and around the bottom of L2 the lads out of contract won't be in L2 again next season. They will be playing lower than L2.

'Pughy' or 'Gaffer' those players are playing for their careers. The name makes no difference whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I get that. But I don't get why on earth you would sack Askey if you knew all along that Pugh was going to be the one taking over the reigns for the remainder of the season. Askey needed to go, but you it makes no sense to replace him with someone that's never managed a side before. At least Askey had experience and also did show that he was capable for us before it went pear shaped. Pugh has done absolutely nothing to warrant anything he's being handed to him.

She's basically replaced a dog turd with Cow <ovf censored>. It still <ovf censored> stinks all the same.

No he hasn't done anything to earn the job yet but there is no denying it the team, prior today, had improved with Pugh in charge.

The reluctance to sack JA during the losing run says it all... we don't have the money to invest in a new manager.

6 minutes ago, MBE said:

No he hasn't done anything to earn the job yet but there is no denying it the team, prior today, had improved with Pugh in charge.

The reluctance to sack JA during the losing run says it all... we don't have the money to invest in a new manager.

We beat one of the worst sides I've ever seen at Vale Park in Grimsby. Got a lucky result away to FGR in a game in which we were shocking for the majority, and were knocked out of a Cup against Sunderland with an absolute whimper. We did nothing in those three games I don't believe we couldn't have done with Askey still in charge.

We should have just kept John.

27 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

In some ways I am amazed so many other clubs have been able to keep going without any income, I thought more would have hit the wall by now. Personally I feel we need to maximise what we have, especially senior players on big wages. The theme of freezing out players like we did starting under Aspin with Worrall, is a disaster. McKirdy may well have looked bad, but he had a mere 5 games, only 1 from memory as a starter. 

That is a ridiculous waste of money, especially that as I write, he is still getting a weekly wage from us for nothing, equally Robinson. Their yearly wages would go towards the wage of a reasonable manager. 

Agree and it is despicable if Leon legge is going the same way. What next, Tom Pope being re-registered?

14 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Plenty of other clubs go down the interim manager route and appoint someone from within, with similar credentials to Pugh.  It's not unusal at all.  Sometimes it works, more often not, but in our position it's a no brainer, unless there really is a stand out candidate for the job.  The owners have prioritised spending on the team, which is to be applauded.  I would guess that if results don't follow and we slide then the owners will have no choice but to bring in a manager who has experience from those currently out of work.

5 minutes ago, TylerB said:

We beat one of the worst sides I've ever seen at Vale Park in Grimsby. Got a lucky result away to FGR in a game in which we were shocking for the majority, and were knocked out of a Cup against Sunderland with an absolute whimper. We did nothing in those three games I don't believe we couldn't have done with Askey still in charge.

We should have just kept John.

I thought you wanted John gone at the time?

12 minutes ago, TylerB said:

We beat one of the worst sides I've ever seen at Vale Park in Grimsby. Got a lucky result away to FGR in a game in which we were shocking for the majority,

You can only play what's in front of you and I would argue we where over due some luck this season.

Archived