onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

4 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

In his pre game press conference, he confirms to Phil Bowers that they did play rugby then denies it to Baggers. Very strange.

Either way, he didn't say anything about injuries so maybe it was just a few impact issues.

UV were actually right in what they said about certain players getting injured. 

Advert

Interesting one, the season ticket refund situation.  Surely the club will argue that we have had 23 * £10 = £230 of value through ifollow, plus free programmes?  Not arguing or critisising your post mate, but if the club had to repay 4000 ST monies - that's game over I would think.  I can understand that peoples circumstances could well have taken a turn for the worse and they may really need a refund.  Not sure what the legal position would be here?  Maybe a few away games could be thrown in as a sweetener?  Of course ifollow can never replace being at the game live!!      Unless we can be pretty certain of being able to actually attend games for all of next season I would have thought that the take up of ST's for next season could well collapse myself.   Very difficult situation for Carole.
You could suggest that they couldn't have anticipated that last season wouldn't finish but it was always a possibility for this season.

You could also argue that the club decided to sack and pay off the manager despite the current situation affecting finances.

I bought my season ticket last February before Covid affected the season and whilst I won't ask for or take a refund I would expect to be offered one once the club know how many games if any I will be able to attend.

I'm fortunate in that I have been able to work throughout the pandemic but if I had say lost my job access to 23 games on ifollow wasn't what I'd paid for and I would want a full refund.

35 minutes ago, dishydave said:

This year will be a tough one for season ticket sales and I think its going to affect the club massively I also don't think we will be fully allowed in for the start of the season even with the vaccine

With the vaccine i certainly expect them to allow a percentage in at the start,maybe we will get all season ticket holders in but i do think when season tickets go on sale the take up will be a lot slower this time around until things are a lot clearer

Back on topic now. I'm not a fan of this give Pugh until the end of the season idea because if it doesn't work out then finding a new manager and him assembling a team is going to be a little to rushed and I fear it will mean writing another season off
Just keeping the options open. Pugh looking after the shop in the meantime. Managers unlike players can come in at anytime. Whether next season will be much different to this is unknown at present.

On the season ticket subject, surely there has to be some sort of refund? No offence, but I am not a charity to Port Vale. We paid for a season ticket not access to iFollow at £10 a game. There’s two of us in our house that both have season tickets and watch the same iFollow stream.

Obviously this is going to be a football wide problem and I’m not blaming Port Vale here.

20 minutes ago, dishydave said:

Back on topic now. I'm not a fan of this give Pugh until the end of the season idea because if it doesn't work out then finding a new manager and him assembling a team is going to be a little to rushed and I fear it will mean writing another season off

Dependent on results he could get the job for next season as well and if results are good then why not? If he starts to falter then i am sure he will be replaced,at the moment he wont be on a managerial contract so wont cost a pay out as yet..sensible from the owners imo

2 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

On the season ticket subject, surely there has to be some sort of refund? No offence, but I am not a charity to Port Vale. We paid for a season ticket not access to iFollow at £10 a game. There’s two of us in our house that both have season tickets and watch the same iFollow stream.

Obviously this is going to be a football wide problem and I’m not blaming Port Vale here.

I think this is the biggest issue.

4,000 people paid circa £300 to watch 23 games on a stream. Most will also be paying £200ish to watch most of the away/cup games. It's a lot of money for what has been pretty poor product (in terms of streams and footballing quality/success).

I don't think anyone will complain as it's what we all signed up for last summer, with no guarantees we'd see live football and being more keen to help the club in a difficult time. However, it wouldn't surprise me if a few simply can't justify the season ticket next season based on the amount of money spent this season and what looks to be a disappointing, lost year for the club. 

I don't think the permanent appointment of Pugh will mitigate this, unless he does turn out to be a great manager.

Just now, werstayinup said:

Dependent on results he could get the job for next season as well and if results are good then why not? If he starts to falter then i am sure he will be replaced,at the moment he wont be on a managerial contract so wont cost a pay out as yet..sensible from the owners imo

I guess for me it's the issue of whether a short-term upturn in results is a sign that Pugh is the best man for the long-term. There's more to a manager than results in the next couple of months.

We have a big summer ahead of us, with an old squad and new salary cap restrictions. The squad itself isn't too bad, as evidenced by last season, but Askey clearly lost the plot towards the end.

As a result, I'm a bit hesitant of using a good run of form as 'that's it, give it to Pugh for next year too'. Will he handle the summer well? Is he going to be revamping the recruitment department? Does he have a clear vision for how his team are going to play? Or is he just doing things a little bit better than Askey was in the short-term?

The job should go to the very best applicant; the man who gives Carol the most confidence he is the individual to get us promoted and build a club capable of competing in the league above. The appointment shouldn't go to the man who was lucky enough to work for the sacked man, took over his team, and put together a good run of form. Do we all remember Dean Glover's good start?

For me it just feels that Pugh has been given a 90 yard head start over every other applicant, and merely needs to walk to the finish line to bag the job. Anything construed as 'competent' will probably see him given the job on the long term, and I think that should only happen if he is the very best of the pool of applicants.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

I guess for me it's the issue of whether a short-term upturn in results is a sign that Pugh is the best man for the long-term. There's more to a manager than results in the next couple of months.

We have a big summer ahead of us, with an old squad and new salary cap restrictions. The squad itself isn't too bad, as evidenced by last season, but Askey clearly lost the plot towards the end.

As a result, I'm a bit hesitant of using a good run of form as 'that's it, give it to Pugh for next year too'. Will he handle the summer well? Is he going to be revamping the recruitment department? Does he have a clear vision for how his team are going to play? Or is he just doing things a little bit better than Askey was in the short-term?

The job should go to the very best applicant; the man who gives Carol the most confidence he is the individual to get us promoted and build a club capable of competing in the league above. The appointment shouldn't go to the man who was lucky enough to work for the sacked man, took over his team, and put together a good run of form. Do we all remember Dean Glover's good start?

For me it just feels that Pugh has been given a 90 yard head start over every other applicant, and merely needs to walk to the finish line to bag the job. Anything construed as 'competent' will probably see him given the job on the long term, and I think that should only happen if he is the very best of the pool of applicants.

Could all be said for any manager who comes in of course whether experienced or not,any manager will be a gamble

Archived