onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

26 minutes ago, osprey said:

Don’t care what they call Pugh if we are winning games

I agree, but it doesn't help the (wrong) view being circulated that the players have downed tools for Askey to get their mate in charge, thereby making their lives easier, and all transgressions have now been forgotten.

This view is all over social media (there was a fair bit on here) - that the players are snakes, that Pugh is their mate, that it's all too nice. There would be an unpleasant atmopshere if we were at games if what I'm reading is in any way representative.

I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS VIEW, TO BE CLEAR

A lot of fans are very angry at the players at present, and players referring to the man who replaced what some fans deemed a 'wronged' manager as 'Pughy' isn't going to placate the masses much. As you say though, and as I've said for a while, all this dissent/rumours/whispers will evaporate if we string together a few wins. Fans go a bit crazy when results turn sour. Hope Pugh can deliver.

Advert

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

I doubt Warnock is known as 'Warnocky' to his players, though they probably have alternative nicknames for when he's not present. 

I believe the players call Neil Warnock "Colin"....  If you are a fan of anagrams then you will see why. 

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

I'm very shallow/petty in that I didn't like how the players referred to their manager as 'Pughy'. Up to him/then, but doesn't do much to dispel the notion that it's all very cosy, which the club should be trying to avoid after the whispers of previous weeks. I get that he's their mate but how many other EFL manager would be referred to by his nickname? I doubt Warnock is known as 'Warnocky' to his players, though they probably have alternative nicknames for when he's not present. 

Either way - I think it's Pugh's job to lose. This isn't a caretaker role, but more of a trial run. If he fails it, that's when external applicants will be seriously considered. If he performs competently, then he'll get the job, due to the unique nature of this season.

Just how I read the interview. Probably wrong. 

I'm not sure if Warnock was ever in the same team with someone he later managed?

1 minute ago, For Us All said:

I'm not sure if Warnock was ever in the same team with someone he later managed?

Fair point. I guess it's part and parcel of the risks of internal appointments. It's not really an issue - just how it will be viewed by fans who want to believe the players 'did in' Askey and have got their mate the job.

Personally I don't want Pugh as manager but if he gets us winning games consistently let's say 4 or 5 out the next 6 then it would be daft to change it. I don't see this happening but you never know. Tranmere won 5 on the trot with the caretaker in charge appointed a new manager and then dropped off again. I think this transfer window will give us a little idea of his recruitment and if it doesn't workout it needs to change before the end of the season to give the next person time. The last thing we need is a manager coming in the summer and having to rush his recruitment

How i see it is that we all now know its going be pugh,if we win games he will be the permanent manager,its a gamble even if the new man was experienced as we have seen so far with Holloway,Hill and Hurst so i was quite open at having a young hungry manager who can adapt to the modern game,change formations etc... so why not Pugh,we just have to back him for now dont we,surely we all want him to succeed

18 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

So who’s signing players this month? Pugh or someone else? Then if we do rubbish a new manager has to come in and have a larger clear-out. Find it disappointing personally we need a decent manager and there’s quite a few out there. We shouldn’t rush but I would have thought interviews should have started behind the scenes and within another 1/2 games be ready to make a decision. 

lose poorly against forest green and fans will start going nuts again. 

Again I wanted Askey out but I just don’t see worth in sacking Askey to let pugh have it for the season. 

Agree. If I'm honest, if I was the owner I would certainly be keeping an eye of our PPG ratio having played 23 games now and those below less. It ws a massive 3 points v Grimsby in this respect.

The way it's going football will be suspended, perhaps Carol and the board don't want to be taking on a new manager and his salary in those circumstances?

We should be interviewing because if someone comes along who matches the ideals and blueprint for Carol's vision for Vale then it's a no brainer. Doing nothing is a cautious, possibly negative option and the 'cost' is relative.

Does make you wonder just how much was going on and by whom?

Archived