onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

Iv'e just watched the second series of the Class of 92 and Gary Neville said when they sacked the duo who got them promoted, in his experience a dressing room can run out of energy naturally, it's not particularly anyones fault it just happens

He felt the two guys who got them promoted had run out of ideas and it needed freshening up, maybe thats what happened to Askey naturally, that group of players had run out of steam with him.

I'm curious to know under which of the many managers he played for, Gary Neville has experienced this.

I'm not saying he's wrong but I'd imagine he has about the same amount of experience of this happening as most of the rest of us do.

Advert

5 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

I'm curious to know under which of the many managers he played for, Gary Neville has experienced this.

I'm not saying he's wrong but I'd imagine he has about the same amount of experience of this happening as most of the rest of us do.

His managerial career wasn't  a great success either?

33 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Another way of looking at it is the players play and the manager manages, if he can't manage the players and dressing room then I suppose he's failed.

It's not easy I admit, on the continent managers/coaches don't last long they get shipped out to refresh the club, not saying it's right though, but there are many reasons a manager fails, I wonder if any of the statto's could say what the average length of a managers stay at a club is ?

Championship managers lasted 374 days 2019,

How Has The Life Span of a Premier League and Championship Manager Changed In The Last 10 Years? (sqaf.club)

21 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Six of those Vale players in that match didn't play against Grimsby either.

It goes round in circles.... Those 6 should have been hungry to stake a place to the starting 11. Plus of those 6 we had Clark and Legge in team who are quality at this level on their day,  Burgess was also one of the consistent performers of last season and the much maligned Robinson isn’t inexperienced at this level either. 

Managerial jobs are just shorter now. A combination of a few things. A lot of 'cycles' naturally conclude, with the manager's ideas/motivation getting stale and the players becoming a bit too comfortable. Add in additional player power, and greater pressure due to heightened financial demands too. 

It happened to Pochettino at Spurs, Guardiola usually leaves after 3-4 seasons, Mourinho can't hold a job for more than 4-5 years. Just the norm, now. 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Managerial jobs are just shorter now. A combination of a few things. A lot of 'cycles' naturally conclude, with the manager's ideas/motivation getting stale and the players becoming a bit too comfortable. Add in additional player power, and greater pressure due to heightened financial demands too. 

It happened to Pochettino at Spurs, Guardiola usually leaves after 3-4 seasons, Mourinho can't hold a job for more than 4-5 years. Just the norm, now. 

Which makes player recruitment more of a club function,  than being left to the current team manager.  So the club decides on the playing style, recruits players to suit and employs a match motivator on a temporary basis. When the players fancy a change so be it. There are snags of course some clubs are rubbish on recruitment and need a strong manager to break out of  long periods without success, even at the top of the tree.

4 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Sounds very much to me that danny pugh has got it for the remainder of the season! If thats the case lets get behind him and try and make the most of this season. then we can look at again over the summer

Absolutely, we need to get behind the team now and stop all the NEGATIVE comments on here.

55 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Which makes player recruitment more of a club function,  than being left to the current team manager.  So the club decides on the playing style, recruits players to suit and employs a match motivator on a temporary basis. When the players fancy a change so be it. There are snags of course some clubs are rubbish on recruitment and need a strong manager to break out of  long periods without success, even at the top of the tree.

Been saying for a while, the club should have an idea of what type of club they want to be, what is the owners vision, and employ within that framework. Then if someone leaves there is a fluid transition. You don’t have to rebuild every couple of years. Crewe are an example. If you manage them you work within the clubs philosophy. 

1 minute ago, Andyregs said:

Been saying for a while, the club should have an idea of what type of club they want to be, what is the owners vision, and employ within that framework. Then if someone leaves there is a fluid transition. You don’t have to rebuild every couple of years. Crewe are an example. If you manage them you work within the clubs philosophy. 

Directors of Football enable this.

Sounds like the parting of ways with Askey was as amicable as could be and John and Dave left on good terms, which is good and another example of us doing this correctly.

'Focus on this season with COVID' and mentioning the unique nature of this year compared to others when pushed on an appointment timeframe, so in agreement that it sounds like, barring collapse, Pugh will see us through till June.

'At the moment I don't want to be distracted by that (a permanent appointment), and take our eye off this season'

Massive opportunity for him. 

Archived