onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

2 hours ago, dishydave said:
11 hours ago, PV1973 said:
The same could happen with any manager whether they come in from the outside or not. 

I'm not happy at this player situation but If I was Carol I'd be absolutely fuming paying wages for people who have blatantly not been working for the last few months

We see this time and time again throughout football, this isn’t something new. Player power is massive when it comes to managers, especially if they want the manager out. What can a chairman do about it? The levels of performance between Mansfield and Grimsby from some players was like night and day. 

12 hours ago, MBE said:

I hope the bookies have got it right, although I remember getting excited seeing Glenn Hoddle in the running before Aspin was appointed.😀

I heard he'd got the job but Norman didn't want Eileen Drewery taking over his status as number one loon as she was part of the package. 

2 hours ago, dishydave said:
12 hours ago, PV1973 said:
The same could happen with any manager whether they come in from the outside or not. 

I'm not happy at this player situation but If I was Carol I'd be absolutely fuming paying wages for people who have blatantly not been working for the last few months

I'd honestly be furious that the man she paid to control a bunch of pre-madonna footballers couldn't do it.

Everyone knows what football dressing rooms are like, its not like it is a surprise that they are volatile and can turn on someone quickly.

12 hours ago, Walter said:

That's enough for me want someone different.

Sick of these players getting everything they want.

They decided they didnt want the last man, so downed tools.

Get someone in from the outside and if they dont like it, they can <ovf censored> off.

Now now Walter,don’t you know it was JA’s fault for questioning some of the players’ lifestyles that led to all the problems.Didnt you see Saturday’s game,Butchers Dogs springs to mind compared with the Mansfield game.( Pope actually ran a few times).I hope we get a right hard nosed ba5tard as manager to sort some  of this lot out and ship them out.

Putting emotion to one side, we have twin priorities this season - football and finances. If Pugh is able to steady the ship and move us out of the danger of a relegation scrap over the next few weeks, I think finances dictate that we give him the job until the end of the season. By May we should have have a clear picture about whether he's capable, whether we're likely to see fans back in August, etc. It's crazy to add even more to the wagebill at this precise moment unless there's a massive need to.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I'd honestly be furious that the man she paid to control a bunch of pre-madonna footballers couldn't do it.

Everyone knows what football dressing rooms are like, its not like it is a surprise that they are volatile and can turn on someone quickly.

Iv'e just watched the second series of the Class of 92 and Gary Neville said when they sacked the duo who got them promoted, in his experience a dressing room can run out of energy naturally, it's not particularly anyones fault it just happens

He felt the two guys who got them promoted had run out of ideas and it needed freshening up, maybe thats what happened to Askey naturally, that group of players had run out of steam with him.

57 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Iv'e just watched the second series of the Class of 92 and Gary Neville said when they sacked the duo who got them promoted, in his experience a dressing room can run out of energy naturally, it's not particularly anyones fault it just happens

He felt the two guys who got them promoted had run out of ideas and it needed freshening up, maybe thats what happened to Askey naturally, that group of players had run out of steam with him.

Probably by bringing in 3 or 4 first teamers each season a team can stay fresh and the manager keep his job, especially if the players who ran out of steam depart. However  not many managers seem to last at a club nowadays.

4 hours ago, PV1973 said:

We see this time and time again throughout football, this isn’t something new. Player power is massive when it comes to managers, especially if they want the manager out. What can a chairman do about it? The levels of performance between Mansfield and Grimsby from some players was like night and day. 

Hardly surprising when we make five changes and try a different formation?

26 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Probably by bringing in 3 or 4 first teamers each season a team can stay fresh and the manager keep his job, especially if the players who ran out of steam depart. However  not many managers seem to last at a club nowadays.

Another way of looking at it is the players play and the manager manages, if he can't manage the players and dressing room then I suppose he's failed.

It's not easy I admit, on the continent managers/coaches don't last long they get shipped out to refresh the club, not saying it's right though, but there are many reasons a manager fails, I wonder if any of the statto's could say what the average length of a managers stay at a club is ?

It must be very difficult keeping everyone happy.

We no longer have a reserve team so anyone not in the first XI or on the bench can go 2-3 weeks without playing a game. Years ago the reserves would play as many games as the first team, home and away. So players were always match fit, of sorts, and knew if they performed well that the manager might pick them for the first team.

How you juggle 22 players and keep them all contented I really don't know.

Reading between the lines this seems to have been a running sore for us in recent months. Askey wasn't a big fan of Pope. Robinson clearly thought he'd be a regular. I imagine McKirdy was the same. They didn't sign to sit on the bench. Younger lads you can manage more easily and nurture them. Hurst and Burgess will play now and then and learn as they go along but probably not throw their toys out of the pram if they are left out sometimes.

The point above about most managers having a shelf life might have some truth in it.

I have no real preference if we go for young or old, long in the tooth or inexperienced reserve team coach looking for a leg up. We can pick and choose our examples to best fit our preference. There is no right answer. As the Vale Ale lads pointed out, many in our league are in their first jobs and doing well. Graham Taylor was 28 when he took over at Lincoln, where he got them promoted and scoring over 100 goals. 

Archived