onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

You can't defend Brown's record (and I'm not) but I still think if we hadn't had all those crippling injuries to key players (what was it? 5-6 not just the odd one) we would have survived the year we went down. Players like Guy and Walker and Knops. But for one goal. Having to throw in lads like Reeves and Turner and Tanser didn't help.

We also lost our best players at the end of January, a gamble that didn't pay off.

I think the general point made about now we're working under new and different and better owners (who don't sign players) is a valid point. Owners are indeed crucial to a club's success.

Advert

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

I wouldn’t, if we can afford Cowleys then we should try and get them. 
Would you prefer the Cowleys running the team with a limited budget or Askey on charge with £500k to spend on players?

We will never know, because Askey never had 500k on players. One thing is for sure I’d fancy Askey with 500k to spend at league 2 level than any manager on 500k wages but nothing else to spend on this squad. 

500k would be a huge additional budget at this level. 

11 minutes ago, TheSage said:

You can't defend Brown's record (and I'm not) but I still think if we hadn't had all those crippling injuries to key players (what was it? 5-6 not just the odd one) we would have survived the year we went down. Players like Guy and Walker and Knops. But for one goal. Having to throw in lads like Reeves and Turner and Tanser didn't help.

We also lost our best players at the end of January, a gamble that didn't pay off.

I think the general point made about now we're working under new and different and better owners (who don't sign players) is a valid point. Owners are indeed crucial to a club's success.

Brown had the budget to bring in Worrall from Millwall who had just won promotion to the Championship. He also had players like Ryan Taylor etc who were not cheap by any stretch. 

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Who was that assistant with the crazy beard? Did he ever get another job in football?

Wasn't that Bruno's sidekick Andy Smith? Think he follows him around to most clubs. Unsurpisingly Bruno is on his sixth club since leaving Vale!

Brown had those classic deadline day signings. He had rejected jock keepers and players sold didn’t he? Memory may have gone but he had Smurf so was shot whatever. He may have been mad and his record awful but he was a decent bloke and didn’t deserve the <ovf censored> he had (well not all of it). 

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Michael Brown inherited a League one team 7 points above the relegation zone. 

He then came out with his classic ' every game is a cup final quote ' .

We won 2 of our last 10 and failed to score in 8 of the 10 , all this whist supposedly fighting for our lives 

The following season having incredibly kept his job we had all the excitement of winning at Crawley where it appeared all was rosy. Then we contrived to get 2 points from the next 30.

So at the end of his tenure he won 3 from 20. 

Norman or no Norman he was absolutely horrific and hideous as a manager. The bloke who perservered with the likes of Tonge, Kay and that half hearted toss pot mate of his Ryan Taylor . 

I've had nightmares writing that .

He was appalling. 

One win in his first ten games sealed his fate.

23 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Brown had those classic deadline day signings. He had rejected jock keepers and players sold didn’t he? Memory may have gone but he had Smurf so was shot whatever. He may have been mad and his record awful but he was a decent bloke and didn’t deserve the <ovf censored> he had (well not all of it). 

He was definitely mad. Do you remember when we lost the first home game of the season against Wycombe and Akinfenwa scored twice?  He came into the room where three of us were doing the next home programme and told us the defeat was our fault because there had been a piece in the programme saying Akinfenwa was their danger man and that was why he’d scored twice!!!!

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

We will never know, because Askey never had 500k on players. One thing is for sure I’d fancy Askey with 500k to spend at league 2 level than any manager on 500k wages but nothing else to spend on this squad. 

500k would be a huge additional budget at this level. 

I gave Askey as an example as we do not know anything about Pugh yet. Me personally would rather spend the money on a top manager than give someone like Askey that sort of money to spend and potentially waste.

51 minutes ago, vallyunt said:

Wasn't that Bruno's sidekick Andy Smith? Think he follows him around to most clubs. Unsurpisingly Bruno is on his sixth club since leaving Vale!

Yes, that’s correct, couldn’t think of his name.

1 hour ago, vallyunt said:

Not a bad win rate where he goes though. Based on that anyone fancy him coming back? 😉

😂

I wonder if he is still very happy ? 

1 hour ago, vallyunt said:

He looked quite scary and was much more animated than Bruno however I spoke to him outside the ground once and he was actually quite nice. 

6 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I dont think they will be short of money either after Huddersfield

I personally just think it is a rumour and nothing more than that but stranger things have happened i guess

I said exactly that, in my first post - that payoff from Huddersfield might just give them the option to care more about the project, than the salary. Also, they have  experienced working on a lower salary, as I don't suppose Lincoln paid them big bucks...although they may have had decent bonuses following the cup run?

2 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I said exactly that, in my first post - that payoff from Huddersfield might just give them the option to care more about the project, than the salary. Also, they have  experienced working on a lower salary, as I don't suppose Lincoln paid them big bucks...although they may have had decent bonuses following the cup run?

I dont think they will be coming Vale

Archived