onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

16 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I'd be ok with bringing an experienced man (or men, if it were the Cowleys) for a couple of seasons, and let Danny Pugh be part of the management team (and, maybe, Sinclair, too - apparently he was very animated today?) with a view to Pugh / Sinclair taking over the roles after that couple of seasons?

So The Cowleys to drop into Div.2 for a couple of seasons with the proviso that they also employ Pugh and Sinclair ? and when they've learned the ropes the Cowleys will bugger off, yeah right.

Advert

We despised the Cowleys's antics as opposition managers, but would welcome them with open arms if we could get them,  as unlikely as it would seem. I'm just glad that I don't have to pick the next manager because football doesn't come with guarantees. That's why it's great,  as a fan to be have an opinion,  as long as it's not rammed down other peoples' throat  who may have a differing view. 

The simple question that Carol and Co. have is,  who can we appoint,  within our realistic means, who can guarantee to bring us a least one, ideally two, promotions?   The obvious answer is ........................?

Nothing against Pugh but I’m sick to death of us taking managers who’ve either never managed before or who are non league. It’s not worked out. Please God can we have an experienced league manager.

And why anyone would want Holloway I don’t know. I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Only have to take a quick read of Grimsby’s forum to see that their fans blame him for the mess they’re in, as it’s him who recruited all the dross they had on show today.

1 minute ago, Powerline said:

Nothing against Pugh but I’m sick to death of us taking managers who’ve either never managed before or who are non league. It’s not worked out. Please God can we have an experienced league manager.

And why anyone would want Holloway I don’t know. I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Only have to take a quick read of Grimsby’s forum to see that their fans blame him for the mess they’re in, as it’s him who recruited all the dross they had on show today.

Hurst is experienced and lost his first two, Holloway before him was experienced and look at the mess he left, Sam Allardyce hasn't actually started well at WBA has he ? Pulis at Sheffield Wed. is another one, experience guarantee's nowt. 

Appointing managers is a massive lottery at this level.

I’d trying to look at all applications with an open mind and not start with criteria of must be experienced, mustn’t have played for us or mustn’t have an blotches on his CV and therefore “young and hungry”. 

2 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

That's a little concerning to hear, 4 days into the vacancy.

Is she determined for Pugh/Sinclair to have the chance of getting it, before even considering anyone else?

59 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Christ.

If only the hugely successful businesswoman would get advice from a little man off of the internet.

A perfect response that could apply apply to so many of the simplistic default reactions on here.

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

One win against a side that most Lads and Dads teams would have got something against and some people are already welcoming Danny Pugh. The next Michael Brown in waiting. Madness.

I’m struggling to find a single post where anyone has said “give him the job now”

34 minutes ago, Powerline said:

5 of the top 6 managers in the league are on their first managerial role. Some first time managers crash and burn.

Your own post proves that experience, especially that which is available, isn’t always right, and can in fact be awful.

So, to me, that says judging a manager purely based on how much league experience they have isn't the best all and end all. 

Let’s judge potential managers based on ideas, how them present themselves, how their philosophy gels with Carols, ideas on recruitment.... whole bunch of things.

Lets not write someone off if its their first job, equally let’s not give Pugh an easy ride because he is “known”.

27 minutes ago, Mario said:

Hurst is experienced and lost his first two, Holloway before him was experienced and look at the mess he left, Sam Allardyce hasn't actually started well at WBA has he ? Pulis at Sheffield Wed. is another one, experience guarantee's nowt. 

I guess that’s true, I’m just sick of us appointing nobody’s and it costing us. Obviously I’d only want an experienced man if they’ve been good recently, so not Holloway etc.

If Pugh continued winning games then I wouldn’t be completely against him taking the job, but I’d like us to consider other applications as well.

Archived