onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

They need to pay a hefty salary if we want success. The last manager to be on a decent sum was Micky Adams and look what happened. Keep paying peanuts then you will keep getting monkeys. For a club like Vale the manager is the most important paid staff and therefor we need to be pay the going rate for a top manager. Pugh might be the next John Rudge but the chances are very low and with Vale in the position they are in now is it worth the risk?

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

We can't judge someone on a few games. How many times do we sides sack a manager and then for a few games they suddenly do well, or a lot better, regardless of who's in charge? I couldn't care less if we win our next two or three games with Pugh in charge. His appointment would be the cheap option, pure and simple. If we're going to get someone in just until the end of the season and then see where we're at we may as well have just stuck with Askey. As bad as it was we wouldn't have been bad enough to go down once players returned from injury.

Whoever gets the job will be judged on a few games.  Whoever is manager better hope they see an immediate improvement because fans are quick to form an opinion.  Granted fans will have less patience for Pugh than they would an outsider coming in, that's only natural.  To be frank, you should care if we win our next two or three games, whoever is in charge. Or would you rather the team lose to suit your agenda?  Anyway, what's wrong with "the cheap option"?  If we could employ Klopp, or more realistically, your prefered candidate, and pay them minimum wage, would you say, "No, he's a cheap option"?  Of course you wouldn't.  We should be more concerned that we get value for money.  If, and it's a big if, Pugh comes in and results pick up, I couldn't give a toss if he's the "cheap option".  "The cheap option" is one of those throwaway terms people trot out without thinking about it.  We want cheap, but we want the best bang for our buck.  If it's Pugh, fine by me beccause it'll mean we've stopped the rot short term.  If it's just til end of season then that's OK too, I think managers should be on short term contracts if possible because most will be sacked rather than poached.  I'm pretty sure the owners would have wanted to give JA the window to recruit.  My gut feeling is that this was the plan all along this season. Keep a bit of money in the pot, get to January, see what we need and try to shuffle the pack a bit.  Unfortunately, recent performances and results being what they were, Askeys position became untenable.  I agree that players returning from injury should make a big difference, we weren't willing to wait though.  I believe he would have turned things around given more time, but it had come to the point where we couldn't risk giving him any more time.  Anyhow, we've moved on, and, for the next game at least, it's Danny Pugh's Black and White Army. 🙌

31 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

The success of a “cheap option” will only come to fruition if the new manager has impart the ability to manage staff which will require a strong no nonsense impartial character. Has DP got that ? 

So are you implying this only applies if we appoint a "cheap option"?

6 hours ago, rider1308 said:

The success of a “cheap option” will only come to fruition if the new manager has impart the ability to manage staff which will require a strong no nonsense impartial character. Has DP got that ? 

I thought he came across well in his pre match interview and he was a bit more upbeat than Askey but to answer your question only the players will know that i guess

Nothing against Danny but I want someone whether they’re experienced or not with no affiliation to the club. Who can come in with a fresh set of eyes and make some changes. Derek adams is still my choice but I’m not against someone having they’re first job. It’s working very well for other clubs and they will have new ideas especially compared to some of the older managers mentioned. I do want someone who focuses on youth, whether it be through our system or signing players released by prem sides and plays some decent football. 

8 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Nothing against Danny but I want someone whether they’re experienced or not with no affiliation to the club. Who can come in with a fresh set of eyes and make some changes. Derek adams is still my choice but I’m not against someone having they’re first job. It’s working very well for other clubs and they will have new ideas especially compared to some of the older managers mentioned. I do want someone who focuses on youth, whether it be through our system or signing players released by prem sides and plays some decent football. 

Sadly over the last several years we have always gone down that route of promoting from within(apart from Askey but him as a youth and his day being vale and Bruno) and i dont see this being any different tbh,i have no idea why unless we trust people more who have been around the players and know the set up

Sadly over the last several years we have always gone down that route of promoting from within(apart from Askey but him as a youth and his day being vale and Bruno) and i dont see this being any different tbh,i have no idea why unless we trust people more who have been around the players and know the set up

Aspin was an outside appointment.

Archived