onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

57 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yes, as his previous opportunities in transfer windows were resounding successes; it's inevitable he's nail this one too.

I don't care if the manager has the club in his heart. Micky Adams didn't care about the Vale on any emotional level, but he had a job to do, and he won games of football and a promotion. I want a manager who gets us promoted. Askey wasn't going to do that, whatever love for us he has.

If 6 points from 36 and being dumped out the FA Cup by Kings Lynn, as well as being in the same position in the table as we were when he arrived, is classed as 'kneejerk', then I imagine it's difficult to ever justify sacking a manager unless you get relegated, and then it's a reactive move.

It's time to move on. We're all disappointed it hasn't worked out but we have a fantastic opportunity to get things going under our owners, here. Askey was a decent bloke and a decent manager, but is he that brilliant of a manager that other league clubs will be queuing up to appoint him? I imagine not.

Let's be positive and excited for the new direction Carol can take us in.

Points taken. Convinced that some signings were behind John's back. No way would McKirdy have fitted into the team style of play . Sinclair apparently was behind Robinson coming to the club and securing a two year wage and (rumoured) £2k a week. Whitehead seemed to be a steady player for Salford and cancelled last year of his contract to join Vale. Clark was brought back against John's wishes (apparently he was being disrespectful at annual awards presentation to him). So many incidences, rumours, skyllduggery.  Really truly feel sorry for the guy. Harshly treated at Shrewsbury where most of players departed after highly successful season (as well as Paul Hurst departing) and he had to bring in 16 players. Left Shrewsbury following home draw against money bags Salford but lasted longer than Hurst did at Ipswich.

Greatly respect John Askey and what he brought to the club. Makes me wonder why there is no clamour here in Sheffield from fans for sacking Chris Wilder with a record of two draws and fifteen defeats. He has the club in his heart and veins and the concensus is to keep him and rebuild.

Advert

As terrible as whitehead as been, there's an element of me that thinks maybe he could improve under a new manager. I mean are we trusting Askey to have gotten the best out of him? In a formation that never changes unless it collapses due to red cards or being behind with a few minutes to go. 

I think the fact that so many players were better last season than this is a huge reason why the pressure ramped up on Askey so quickly.

I'm not saying that Whitehead is any good, or that he should be playing etc...and obviously you'd say that Askey should have known how to get the best out of Whitehead from their time at Macc...But it's possible in my view that just haven't seen Whitehead operate at his best yet. Still, I'd snap anyones hand off who wanted to take him and pay his wages mind.

7 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

As terrible as whitehead as been, there's an element of me that thinks maybe he could improve under a new manager. I mean are we trusting Askey to have gotten the best out of him? In a formation that never changes unless it collapses due to red cards or being behind with a few minutes to go. 

I think the fact that so many players were better last season than this is a huge reason why the pressure ramped up on Askey so quickly.

I'm not saying that Whitehead is any good, or that he should be playing etc...and obviously you'd say that Askey should have known how to get the best out of Whitehead from their time at Macc...But it's possible in my view that just haven't seen Whitehead operate at his best yet. Still, I'd snap anyones hand off who wanted to take him and pay his wages mind.

Snap....when he signed I actually thought that he was a good piece of business. Little did I know he would perform like he has in his last couple of games where he has looked sooooo bad it has been embarrassing. Eeeee, it's a funny game football!

Ime personally all for experience in that mind ive listed a short list out of the managers currently listed 

Phil Parkinson

Paul Cook

David Flitcroft

Graham Alexander

ime not aware of how other fans have veiwed these however or where they stand as supporting youth teams.

29 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

Points taken. Convinced that some signings were behind John's back. No way would McKirdy have fitted into the team style of play . Sinclair apparently was behind Robinson coming to the club and securing a two year wage and (rumoured) £2k a week. Whitehead seemed to be a steady player for Salford and cancelled last year of his contract to join Vale. Clark was brought back against John's wishes (apparently he was being disrespectful at annual awards presentation to him). So many incidences, rumours, skyllduggery.  Really truly feel sorry for the guy. Harshly treated at Shrewsbury where most of players departed after highly successful season (as well as Paul Hurst departing) and he had to bring in 16 players. Left Shrewsbury following home draw against money bags Salford but lasted longer than Hurst did at Ipswich.

Greatly respect John Askey and what he brought to the club. Makes me wonder why there is no clamour here in Sheffield from fans for sacking Chris Wilder with a record of two draws and fifteen defeats. He has the club in his heart and veins and the concensus is to keep him and rebuild.

Wilder has just taken them from League 1 to top-half of the Premier League in 3-4 years, so he deserves the leeway. Askey, whilst challenging for the playoffs was a good return, simply doesn't have the credit in the bank.

Whilst some of what you say may be true, I'm skeptical of the view that Sinclair brought in Robinson and secured his contract. So many questions arise:

1. Why is Sinclair having a greater say in transfers than Askey?

2. Why is Carol allowing this to happen?

3. Why is Sinclair securing contracts?

4. Were there no other options which Askey preferred after Maynard fell through?

For me, it's too outlandish, and we have to make several leaps of logic (Sinclair undermining his boss, Carol/Garlick appointing a coach and enabling him to undermine him, signing players without the manager's consent) for it to make sense. Carol has shown she greatly respected Askey, and does Garlick.

The same goes for Clark - who is making these signings? If so, why? Carol and Garlick clearly liked him. It makes little sense, to me.

We can bemoan rumours and skullduggery all we want, but that's all they are; rumours. Whilst there is a possibility than Robinson, Clark, and McKirdy were signed against the wishes of Askey, it just contravenes everything Carol/Garlick has said about him. Why undermine him like that? If it's Sinclair, why is the Development Coach, tasked with working with the youth players, not only bringing players to the club but signing them against the manager's wishes?

19 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Lad is 27 and has about 30 games at League 2 level or above.

There's a chance he's being misused but I'm still failing to see exactly what it is he brings. Maybe, as you say, a new manager can figure it out.

40 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

If I remember rightly Clark started the following game which was a day or 2 after he resigned 

I may well be wrong but if it’s true that don’t sound like he was signed against his wishes 

5 hours ago, ginge said:

But John McGreal wants a job so he could be an outsider. 

Not sure on him now as i read up on why he was finished at Colchester,they didn't think he would buy in to the youth programme and bringing youth in to the team which is what they wanted,so cant see carol now going for him as thats what she wants as well

Why do not the Vale go see if they can get John Coleman Accrington Stanley manager he work wonders with low crowds and continually creates teams out of nothing .

He be my choice please no Pugh was he in temporary charge last time before Brown or Aspo or someone ,do not remember but I do not think he was a improvement whatsoever, and no sinclair 1 billion per cent ,since he as come in to  the club results have rapidly gone downhill he may be a great lover but we want do the opposition over not some sexy or not so sexy ladies ,mistakes galore I've noticed at the back as some of the goals have been comedy gold we have conceded ,coincidental I've no I have no idea but before he come we weren't the gift that keeps giving for sure .

So I'm not really bothered who the manager is as such as long as it ain't a novice or inexperienced manager like Sinclair or Heskey etc and please no Pugh 

UTV 

Just to be clear - no pugh?

Why do not the Vale go see if they can get John Coleman Accrington Stanley manager he work wonders with low crowds and continually creates teams out of nothing .
He be my choice please no Pugh was he in temporary charge last time before Brown or Aspo or someone ,do not remember but I do not think he was a improvement whatsoever, and no sinclair 1 billion per cent ,since he as come in to  the club results have rapidly gone downhill he may be a great lover but we want do the opposition over not some sexy or not so sexy ladies ,mistakes galore I've noticed at the back as some of the goals have been comedy gold we have conceded ,coincidental I've no I have no idea but before he come we weren't the gift that keeps giving for sure .
So I'm not really bothered who the manager is as such as long as it ain't a novice or inexperienced manager like Sinclair or Heskey etc and please no Pugh 
UTV 

I dont mind at all Carol thinking outside the box and going for a young coach,as i said yesterday someone with new ideas for the modern game,formation and tactics instead of your Holloways(who for me have had their day now),you only have to look at your eddie howe's.Nathan Jones and the young managers at the top of our league BUT just looking at Murrays record who has a bit of managerial experience i would be concerned at what looks like a gamble when we are so close to relegation out of the league....will carol risk it? i have no idea

24 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Lad is 27 and has about 30 games at League 2 level or above.

There's a chance he's being misused but I'm still failing to see exactly what it is he brings. Maybe, as you say, a new manager can figure it out.

I wonder if Whitehead was brought back too soon after injury, he was awful in the last home game but I'm certain he's not as bad as some on here would have you believe.

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Hey Joe, shouldn’t you be teaching online lessons this afternoon rather than fannying about on here! 🤣🤣

Taught 4 live Zoom lessons today Jean, now awaiting online parents evening appointments! Killing time. 

Lazy buggars, them teachers.

Archived