onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

I have always thought the number who criticised Page has been overblown in retrospect.

He had critics, yes, but I think most were at least moderately satisfied with him? There will always be a few who dissent, but by and large I recall Page being at least tolerated by some fans. His departure to Northampton came as a shock to the vast majority. 

I quite liked him; articulate, understood the game, a great eye for a transfer. Would have loved to see him under a better owner. He's onto bigger and better things now.

Advert

23 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Not accusing Carol of anything other than she was recently quoted as saying she needed to re-focus on the primary role.

She has acted by sacking the Manager. That is her decision and one that probably took a lot of heart searching. Hopefully it all works out great.

So definitely not criticising our superb owner.

My thoughts are simply that Askey is a very experienced Manager and a good Manager doesn't become s bad one overnight. A couple of months is not overnight, but something has gone on to change a team from a closely bonded one, to one in complete disarray.

Any road up a new Manager it is and I personally would still go for Rob Page because he turned us into s footballing possession side rather than Mickey's more direct style.
Additionally he was Mickey's recommendation to Smurthwsite wasn't he?

The fact he kept us in a good position in league 1 whilst having to put up with Smurthwaite's antics. Jealousy and eventual hatred has to be congratulated. He refused to defer to Smurthwsite throughout his time at the club probably knowing it could only end up with him leaving.

His subsequent coaching with Wales has a similar feel to the guy currently doing so well at our near neighbours.

Not sure I would say he is an experienced manager tbf. He was replaced at Macc in his first spell after only 1 win in 13. Then returned for a second spell where he completed his only real noteable achievement in getting Macc promoted against all odds. Deservedly got his chance at Shrewsbury and won 5 from 21. Was excellent for us keeping us in the league. And, for me, hugely over achieved last season. But this season never got going. He has been around football his whole life but that doesn’t automatically mean he is experienced.  

Sorry for him, genuinely wanted the bloke to do well but ultimately he along with the players have not delivered this season from the off. Non of them deserve to be in the employment of pvfc at present especially given the way we have looked after during the pandemic. But sadly you can’t sack all of them so 1 man has to be made culpable.

This next appointment is crucial to showing what ambition there is around the club to do well. We have scrimped on managers for years and it’s only taken us one way. The one time in recent history we got anyone in of any calibre and we got promoted. 

I agree he deserved a better owner Joe.

He certainly didn't allow Smurthwaite to bully him.

Because he couldn't dominate him mentally it seems Smurthwaite forced him out via the 50% budget cut.

Any road up as you say he had gone in to bigger and better things.

Carol probably wants a Manager who will buy into her ethos which many experienced Managers on the Merry go Round wouldn't understand if it hit them in the face, as they are all about what's in it for themselves and themselves only! So if they are a success would Vale be just a stepping stone in their minds?

1 hour ago, 1 said:

It’s a joke calling non-pro managing experience.

We’re supposed to be a serious club now.

I'd never criticise Aspo for his time as manager - it seems he had to deal with the worst of Scumtwat's excesses / ideas / pettiness / vindictiveness, and, although I've always considered Aspo a fighter, by the time he went, he just looked a weary, beaten man...and we don't really know how bad Scummy's meddling was?

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

That could be off their message board where the question is asked and no one really knows the answer so they guess at that range. 

Sorry? I texted my mate Steve who’s a diehard fan and he told me his opinion based on following them for 50 odd years. No MB involved. 

10 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Sorry? I texted my mate Steve who’s a diehard fan and he told me his opinion based on following them for 50 odd years. No MB involved. 

I'm a die hard Vale of over 40 years and I couldn't tell you what Askey earned.

Page was a weird one, nearly relegated us despite having 48 points with about 8-9 games to go.

Second season at home we played some superb football with Uche and Andoh, that 3-0 v Doncaster was one of the best games I’ve seen us play, their keeper had a worldie that day!

Away from home though was a tough watch, so negative and cost us points which could of made us the play offs. That said to be in with a shout with a couple of games left with a strike force for much of the season of Dodds and AJLS was impressive.

9 hours ago, werstayinup said:

So you battled on here to get rid of  Askey but you dont mind replacing him with Heskey to get us out of a relegation fight.... wow,no thanks sooner have an Alexander kind of manager

You could get the most experienced manager in the world and it might not work 

you could get someone new to management and it might not work 

getting a new manager is lottery no matter how much you know about football there is no gurantee whoever you go for will work. Im not saying i want heskey im saying i wouldnt mind it. Do i think there are other options that would be better yes but again the option you think would be the best could turn out to be the worst you never know. 

8 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Rob Page was derised by a large number of fans.  He had the audacity to lose an FA Cup game and then everything he did after that was "rubbish"...

Sounds familiar.

The problem with football fans is they are fickle. An loss to a smaller club or a bad run of form and they call for the manager and say things like the dressing room has been lost with no evidence. Most football fans do it because they love their club but sometimes its rash. This was Askeys first bad patch and I think he would have turned it around. Either way there is never going to be any stability if we keep calling for a manager to go if they lose form. With every new manager comes an overhaul of players that can never settle down. How many clubs can say they are doing well that change their manager each year? With Page we were a few signings off a league 1 play off push and Smurf lost his head. This time I think the players Askey signed were not good enough to come in when our main 11 were not available which was his downfall. I do trust Carol and Colin with whoever they chose. 

I'd never criticise Aspo for his time as manager - it seems he had to deal with the worst of Scumtwat's excesses / ideas / pettiness / vindictiveness, and, although I've always considered Aspo a fighter, by the time he went, he just looked a weary, beaten man...and we don't really know how bad Scummy's meddling was?
Yes. In addition, Conference is not a non-pro football league, and Aspo managed there with a fair degree of success for 10 years.

9 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

At ease soldier... I said could.

There is a thread on their forum about the manager position and the question gets posed as to how much they pay.

A whole bunch of “die hard” fans comment saying they have no idea but the guess at around that range.

Steve “could” know the inner financial workings and contract structure.

Equally he “could” have gotten his number from reading the forum, which “die hard” fans tend to do.

I don’t know Steve, my deepest apologies if I have offended him our you by intimating that he may read his teams message board.

Archived