onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

13 minutes ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

Pointless having pace if you rarely use it. He runs that fast he falls over or even runs that fast he forgets to take the ball with him. Not good enough.

He's 22 with one full season of EFL football behind him. Can we not allow him some time to develop? He's younger than James Gibbons.

He has 5 goals and 3 assists whilst playing on both the right wing and up front in a struggling side in 1,381 minutes, which works out as a goal or assist every 3 games. It's not brilliant, but it's also not bad at all. He'll most likely end up around double figures for league goals.

If we gave up on every 22 year old with technical flaws, we'd never develop any youngsters. Rodney needs loads of work on certain aspects of his game, but he's contributing to goals and can burn defenders with pace. 

This mindset of 'not good enough now, therefore never good enough' for a 22 year old is not conducive to blooding young talent, mate. I'm not saying he's a guaranteed star, but there's enough signs in there that, with time, trust, minutes, and good coaching, he could be a dangerous forward. 

League 2 clubs can't afford to throw away young players who aren't the finished article. There's every chance he doesn't improve enough, but worse case scenario we take a gamble on a young lad with searing pace who can influence 1 in 3 games. Best case, he rounds his game out and we have a gem.

Advert

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Maybe we will go for a younger more fresh approach with football moving with the times,it seems the young novices are doing better than the older heads in this league at the moment

I know the common trend amongst Vale fans is 'we need experience', but as you say, the successful managers at this level are largely new to the management game.

Can you imagine the reaction of Bournemouth or Luton fans when they appointed Eddie Howe and Nathan Jones?

I'm not saying it's definitely the way forward, but Vale fans outright refusing to even consider anything other than a name they recognise is not the best way to go about this, imho. The fact that our last 'successful' manager was as old-school as it gets probably feeds into this, as well as the succession of inexperienced (by EFL standards) managers we've had since.

2 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Graham Alexander for me.

No brainer, obviously had a bust up with the playstation managers at Salford "all fur coat no knickers" can still remember their black toilet portacabin for 2,000 fans - disgrace.

Superb football man, not sure he'd come to Vale but appears genuine as are the Shanahans and Colin Garlick.

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I know the common trend amongst Vale fans is 'we need experience', but as you say, the successful managers at this level are largely new to the management game.

Can you imagine the reaction of Bournemouth or Luton fans when they appointed Eddie Howe and Nathan Jones?

I'm not saying it's definitely the way forward, but Vale fans outright refusing to even consider anything other than a name they recognise is not the best way to go about this, imho. The fact that our last 'successful' manager was as old-school as it gets probably feeds into this, as well as the succession of inexperienced (by EFL standards) managers we've had since.

I just hope everything doesn't go in to meltdown if thats the route carol takes,she might surprise us all.... I want your Alexanders etc but i am open to what she goes with

No brainer, obviously had a bust up with the playstation managers at Salford "all fur coat no knickers" can still remember their black toilet portacabin for 2,000 fans - disgrace.
Superb football man, not sure he'd come to Vale but appears genuine as are the Shanahans and Colin Garlick.

People don’t want him after Salford but he had a right <ovf censored> show behind the scenes there, they trained on a community centre, had things nicked, at one point the pitch was a mess so he had to ring round where his kid had once played to find an astroturf for them to train on.

Hardly ideal and probably why there success has stagnated.

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I just hope everything doesn't go in to meltdown if thats the route carol takes,she might surprise us all.... I want your Alexanders etc but i am open to what she goes with

I trust Carol sufficiently to understand that whatever decision she takes will be rational, having sought advice, and will be in the genuine best long-term interests of the club.

I'd love Parkinson, but if we decide to move in a different direction I'm not going to have the breakdown that some on social media promise they will. 

3 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Maybe a younger manager will have fresh modern ideas and tactics and not be stuck in their ways often not wanting to change

It's like how people clamour for your Holloways,allardyce,pulis,micky adams etc... imo they have had their day

Taylor, Duff, Flynn, Artell, Lowe, Beech, Bonner, Yems, Wellens, Cowley.

All 'untested' at this level when appointed. All been/are successful at this level in the last few years.

I get why people want an older head, and I'm not against it myself; just that the clubs who have taken the risk on the above names have reaped massive rewards. We have a good owner. There's every chance we do the same.

5 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

People don’t want him after Salford but he had a right <ovf censored> show behind the scenes there, they trained on a community centre, had things nicked, at one point the pitch was a mess so he had to ring round where his kid had once played to find an astroturf for them to train on.

Hardly ideal and probably why there success has stagnated.

Got me when Gary Neville said they were paying £17K a week for x4 centre backs!. Yet they have a <ovf censored> training facility and ground. Laughable. Alexander must have been on massive money there though as well.

Archived