onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Advert

18 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I'd steer clear of anybody pope recommended. Remember kay and lainton?

Miss Kay in our side, even now. He knew the darker side of the game and took no <ovf censored>. Thought he wasn’t a bad signing. Lainton unfortunate but doing well at Wrexham. 

16 hours ago, davehartshill said:

Must be something in that Heskey rumour for somebody/a few people to go and put money on him to get him into the betting. 

Unless Heskey is paying to do the job or unpaid, I struggle to see any rational reason for him to be in the running. 

To be fair if Bruno knew Mourinho, Heskey’s contact book must be equally impressive. 

6 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Miss Kay in our side, even now. He knew the darker side of the game and took no <ovf censored>. Thought he wasn’t a bad signing. Lainton unfortunate but doing well at Wrexham. 

I don’t. Kay was awful. I still remember him playing in an awful game at Stevenage where he just kept hoofing it to the opposition. Norman was in attendance and got some great chants from memory! 

For those interested in the stats, here's the relevant data on some of the possible contenders, with the highest win ratio at the top:

Paul Cook, age 53: Games 671, Win Ratio 43.1%

Derek Adams, age 45: Games 547, Win Ratio 42.0%

Simon Grayson, age 51: Games 685, Win Ratio 41.46%

Phil Parkinson, age 53: Games 804, Win Ratio 36.94%

Ian Holloway, age 57: Games 989, Win Ratio 35.8%

As for the bookies' favourites, well, they look something like this:

Emile Heskey, age 42: No management experience or UEFA coaching qualifications (which probably rules him out)

Danny Pugh, age 38: No league game management experience, coach at Vale since 2017-18 and in his second spell as caretaker manager.

Rob Page, age 46: Games 145, Win Ratio 35.9%

Frank Sinclair, age 49: No league management experience, having coached at or managed Colwyn Bay, Brackley Town and Hednesford

For me, I'd prefer not to have anyone cutting their teeth in management when we're on the cusp of a relegation fight, nor anyone previously involved with the club with all the baggage they'd bring.

Looking at the stats, I think the stand out for us would be Derek Adams: second highest win ratio, including Ross County, Plymouth and Morecambe; probably the most affordable of the experienced managers; and, most importantly, at 45, still with lots to prove and the ambition to match our owners' plans for the future.

One final, gentle plea to our owners: Could we please have an experienced manager with a track record of success? We're not in a position to take any needless risks and the money would be the best investment you could make!

2 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

The guy is a england international played his whole career in the top flight of english football l for one woukd hope he coaches the strikers??? 

wouldnt be against heskey getting it. I think he playing record would command respect i also feel like younger managers are the way forward 

So you battled on here to get rid of  Askey but you dont mind replacing him with Heskey to get us out of a relegation fight.... wow,no thanks sooner have an Alexander kind of manager

12 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

For those interested in the stats, here's the relevant data on some of the possible contenders, with the highest win ratio at the top:

Paul Cook, age 53: Games 671, Win Ratio 43.1%

Derek Adams, age 45: Games 547, Win Ratio 42.0%

Simon Grayson, age 51: Games 685, Win Ratio 41.46%

Phil Parkinson, age 53: Games 804, Win Ratio 36.94%

Ian Holloway, age 57: Games 989, Win Ratio 35.8%

As for the bookies' favourites, well, they look something like this:

Emile Heskey, age 42: No management experience or UEFA coaching qualifications (which probably rules him out)

Danny Pugh, age 38: No league game management experience, coach at Vale since 2017-18 and in his second spell as caretaker manager.

Rob Page, age 46: Games 145, Win Ratio 35.9%

Frank Sinclair, age 49: No league management experience, having coached at or managed Colwyn Bay, Brackley Town and Hednesford

For me, I'd prefer not to have anyone cutting their teeth in management when we're on the cusp of a relegation fight, nor anyone previously involved with the club with all the baggage they'd bring.

Looking at the stats, I think the stand out for us would be Derek Adams: second highest win ratio, including Ross County, Plymouth and Morecambe; probably the most affordable of the experienced managers; and, most importantly, at 45, still with lots to prove and the ambition to match our owners' plans for the future.

One final, gentle plea to our owners: Could we please have an experienced manager with a track record of success? We're not in a position to take any needless risks and the money would be the best investment you could make!

I like the idea of Derek Adams too, seems no nonsense in his interviews and talks about the importance of team spirit being throughout the whole club. One thing I would say is he isnt the most motivational speaker, those that want Blood and Thunder and a rousing battle speech wont get it from him, he seems more measured and calm. 

Graham Alexanders win ratio is 43.0% which would put him a very close second on that list. He is tainted by his spell at Salford because on that budget he should have done better, but his ratios at Fleetwood (38.6% -  which would rank him 4th on the list) and Scunthorpe (46.9% - First on the list) were very impressive. Lets not forget that Salford took him because they were buying a very good, highly thought of lower league manager with a proven record. I remember thinking it was a great appointment at the time. As the boys said on the excellent Ale and the Vale podcast, his time at Salford is difficult to judge, its said that he didn't have control of signings and was often given players and made to make them fit. Maybe a return to a club where he can have control back would suit him.

7 minutes ago, johnny said:

Whoever it is Port vale need an experienced capable manager like Mickey Adams vale never do well without that kind of manager in charge.

I feel you are right. Especially this time as I think there have been years of awful practices that have been going on since Adams left. Even Askey alluded to that. 

An experienced head can only address those. 

2 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Paul Harsley anyone? May have some connections?

The more i think about this the more it interests me tbf when you think of who teams now around the top of our league appointed,might just take a gamble like this and we know carol wants to bring youth in to the set up of players BUT would it be to much of a gamble with us being where we are...if we had been well away from that bottom 2 then i might of said yes why not(only other negative would be ex vale and that never really ends well)

1 hour ago, 1 said:

We all know it’ll be someone cheap and uninspiring, though it doesn’t hurt to hope it won’t be Pugh.

I’d rather leave it in Pugh’s hands than some of the names mentioned on here, from what I can tell in a serious, sincere tone.

Why do we know its going be someone really cheap?

I will honestly be amazed if we appoint Pugh,Heskey or Sinclair

Archived