onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

The more I think about it today the more I like Heskey.

It would have been far to risky to appoint a complete newbie manager like that after Brown had been that failed experiment, and we were in similar positions when Aspin and Askey came in. We're not quite in the same boat this time around, I wouldn't say that the new manager is coming in to keep us up. I think many of us still believe we're a good enough squad to be competing with the playoff chasers although our points handicap may be a bridge too far.

Maybe now is the perfect time to gamble on a Heskey type. Ideally we'd have another half a dozen points breathing room but still, we have shown we can pick up results with this squad this season.

Advert

Blimey, if we've got disharmony at the club now then imagine what it would be like if Joey Barton was appointed? Yes, his stats are OK but he was bankrolled at Fleetwood and still only had moderate success. He then effectively got the boot because of poor man management, I would say he's exactly what we don't need at Vale Park right now.

2 hours ago, bomber said:

There we go says a lot about so called proven managers ! 

Holloway's success at Blackpool, playing exciting, attacking football, was built on the squad assembled by Simon Grayson and his side-kick Tony Parkes. Given the state of our squad of players, that's a strong argument for not appointing Holloway - at least until we've given Grayson the chance to build  the squad first 😉

No way it should be Heskey. We would have been better off saving the money and keeping JA.

A left field appointment, who I think could have success at a stable club, given the chance is Sol Campbell. He performed an absolute miracle at Macc , got them playing some decent football at the time to keep them up.When behind the scenes it went from bad to worse he moved to Southend where he obviously had no chance with the situation that club was in.

Certainly a manager who would instantly command respect in the dressing room and the know how to make us hard to beat again. 

I would still prefer us to look at Cowley, Parkinson & Grayson. 

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Very soon - possibly in the summer - we're going to have to make some big decisions as to which of our older and injured players stay or go because they are, as others have said above, among our better lads and the backbone of the team.

In the short term we probably need to find a midfielder and a defender first and foremost, regroup and stop the rot.

Manager? It's anyone's guess. I suppose we have two choices: an experienced fella who has been round the block, from club to club, or a younger appointment and someone who has coaching experience with a reserve team or under 23s. 

Most names bandied about are in the first category because we've heard of them. But these people have similar records to Askey and are out of work for a reason. I'm not saying some might not do well here but who knows? It's a risk whatever we do.

Huddersfield went for the Leeds coach. Rudge I think was coach at Torquay before coming here. For older viewers, Waddington came out of the blue from Crewe to Stoke. The Cheltenham and Newport bosses came from nowhere and have taken their opportunities. But for every one who does ok there are several who fail. 

I don't envy the owners. It's a hell of a task. And we need someone who can hit the ground running.

I wonder if we might "think outside the box" and seriously consider someone like Heskey or an under 23s coach who we've never heard of. 

I don't know what to think. We all have our own views and I imagine if you polled 12 Vale fans you'd get 6-7 different names so Carol can't do right for doing wrong.

But we go with what we get and support the Club 100% because we now need to see this season out and then think about a rebuild further down the line.

Go

that was easy

We all know it’ll be someone cheap and uninspiring, though it doesn’t hurt to hope it won’t be Pugh.

I’d rather leave it in Pugh’s hands than some of the names mentioned on here, from what I can tell in a serious, sincere tone.

I'd rather have Alex Higgins!

Only joking.

That's an interesting one. Where is he now? Has he been out of the professional game for too long now? I know little about what's he's done since leaving Crewe. Probably not. It isn't a name any longer that springs to mind.

Has anyone thought of Steve Davis? if thats at all possible interested in peoples veiws on this.

he last left Leyton Oriant in 2017.   was tipped to manage Cheltenham Town in 2018.

When managed crewe he got them out of a mid table slump like the one were in now and managed to get them promoted.

one of his sons has played for vale in the past.

Archived