onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

Very soon - possibly in the summer - we're going to have to make some big decisions as to which of our older and injured players stay or go because they are, as others have said above, among our better lads and the backbone of the team.

In the short term we probably need to find a midfielder and a defender first and foremost, regroup and stop the rot.

Manager? It's anyone's guess. I suppose we have two choices: an experienced fella who has been round the block, from club to club, or a younger appointment and someone who has coaching experience with a reserve team or under 23s. 

Most names bandied about are in the first category because we've heard of them. But these people have similar records to Askey and are out of work for a reason. I'm not saying some might not do well here but who knows? It's a risk whatever we do.

Huddersfield went for the Leeds coach. Rudge I think was coach at Torquay before coming here. For older viewers, Waddington came out of the blue from Crewe to Stoke. The Cheltenham and Newport bosses came from nowhere and have taken their opportunities. But for every one who does ok there are several who fail. 

I don't envy the owners. It's a hell of a task. And we need someone who can hit the ground running.

I wonder if we might "think outside the box" and seriously consider someone like Heskey or an under 23s coach who we've never heard of. 

I don't know what to think. We all have our own views and I imagine if you polled 12 Vale fans you'd get 6-7 different names so Carol can't do right for doing wrong.

But we go with what we get and support the Club 100% because we now need to see this season out and then think about a rebuild further down the line.

Advert

I don't know who will be appointed as the new manager, but I do know what I want in our next appointment :

1. An appointment that is made with a promise that he will be given time.

2. A manager who gives youth a chance.

3. A manager with a structured and positive recruitment policy that seeks to pick up youngsters released by PL and championship academies each year.

4. A promise that the transfer policy is administered by the manager only.

5. A manager who has the intelligence to quickly realise that the likes of Joyce, legge and pope are limited in ability and not players to build the team around.

6. A manager who does not, year after year, go after the same old tired 'proven league 2 quality players', who are in league 2 for a reason

I've heard murmurs that it will be Heskey and Sinclair no problem to me if they can get some good players in through there footballing contacts .

However theres no experience there and what if the players do not want play for them as well you only have look down the road and finally for them they have a manager the whole squad put it in for  (apart from they cannot score which is important lol ).but before him they were hiring and firing for years because it seemed looking on from the outside the players didnt want know .

Pughs being around the club a long time but I cannot imagine him being strong enough deal with the big egos etc and let's face it we need a angry man ,aman who will not stand for child like behaviour and when we start losing in games I want see that extra committment from players we didnt see in last 2 of 3 games where the players have just not ran hard enough ,not triedhard enough and have cost the manager his job as they seemed to lack any of the things associated with being professional. 

So I'd like put my 3 names in to the pot John Coleman ,Joey Barton and the Cowleys 

UTV 

However i trust Carol to bring the right person /s in i cannot thank her enough for doing what needed be done ,player power yes or manager who had lost the plot ,something had to give and personally if it means Robinson gets a hat trick sat then it was justified as you cannot hang folk out to dry and carry on playing a system which doesn't suit some players and not have the professionals onside and not being able do there job properly .

I may be wrong but I don’t believe Heskey currently holds the requisite Level 4 coaching qualification to be appointed manager of a professional side so that would rule him out of the top job. Media articles from last year suggest he held Level 2 and had started working on the higher level badges but they take some time to complete.

I believe Sinclair does hold the necessary qualification.

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:
15 minutes ago, Wrex said:
I have no idea who to go for but if we're going for a novice then Heskey would be a very strong option with his playing experience.

Let's just hope he doesn't coach the strikers personally

The guy is a england international played his whole career in the top flight of english football l for one woukd hope he coaches the strikers??? 

wouldnt be against heskey getting it. I think he playing record would command respect i also feel like younger managers are the way forward 

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

With regard to Ian Holloway, there was an interesting piece in The Times yesterday about Grimsby. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paul-hurst-picking-up-mess-left-by-ian-holloway-as-grimsby-town-eye-new-era-2zz88sz82

It's behind a paywall but here is the significant paragraph:

"Without the arrival of Covid-19, and other off-field distractions, things might have been different. Holloway, though, walked away having signed 16 players in the summer, most of whom are simply not good enough, and rather than build a team to make people “proud”, he left them with a 30-man squad in desperate need of overhaul."

His recruitment was worse than Askey's.

Holloway built a squad this summer made up of 32yo+ journeymen, non-league players and unproven kids.

I said to a friend it's either gonna go one of two ways - winning the title or bottom two!

A massive no from me.

If we're going left field - what about Ian Dawes, assistant at Tranmere.

Took over a struggling side and led the team to 5 wins out of 5 as caretaker manager. Plays attacking football and most Tranmere fans wanted him to get the job permanently. Comes across really well in interviews and as a scouser is local-ish to us.

However, I would 100% advocate an experienced manager. I don't think it's the time for chancers again.

Some interesting stuff on the Hednesford forum about Frank Sinclair after he was appointed at Vale:

"Good luck to them, lack of due diligence in that appointment me thinks."

"Oh dear  Will Vale’s young guns be playing Frank the plank’s progressive 4-0-6 ‘play where you fancy‘ formation? His handling of the young loanees here was terrible and constantly played them out of position so I’m dubious about his ability to work with younger players. Casey aside, the worst managerial appointment we made in the past 10 years"

I don't think they liked him!

Also one of them responded on Twitter to him asking, "Is it true you’ve piped over 1000 women? Some effort that if so."!!

8 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Some interesting stuff on the Hednesford forum about Frank Sinclair after he was appointed at Vale:

"Good luck to them, lack of due diligence in that appointment me thinks."

"Oh dear  Will Vale’s young guns be playing Frank the plank’s progressive 4-0-6 ‘play where you fancy‘ formation? His handling of the young loanees here was terrible and constantly played them out of position so I’m dubious about his ability to work with younger players. Casey aside, the worst managerial appointment we made in the past 10 years"

I don't think they liked him!

Also one of them responded on Twitter to him asking, "Is it true you’ve piped over 1000 women? Some effort that if so."!!

Oh dear!!Due diligence and Vale don't go together over the past few years 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Archived