onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Askey gone ? Yes

boslemportvale91

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

How had he? After Stevenage we were saying he’s done enough to warrant another game. Well how many times can you keep saying these? We were / are getting beaten easily by poor sides he 100% did not deserve another match.

Jan signings under askey? Really? No way would he have signed players to turn this around. Just look at his past signings. 

vale fans have not been fickle. Far from it and askey has had it much much easier than if fans could attend. We have won 1 in 12. Yes 1 in 12 and lost to kings lynn, some of the worst performances in the clubs history (against some truly dire sides) blaming injuries isnt on. All sides have them, mansfield had just as many as us and still won more than comfortably. 

He has had at least 3/4 games more than he should have done. We can’t just keep saying one more game John. Lose and then we’re even closer to the bottom. 

Says it all, at half time vs Tranmere Vale were 2nd or 3rd in Lge 2, 3 1/2 games later you have sacking the manager in you mind. Sacking the manager every 2 years is not usually the way to build a successful football club.

Advert

Shame to see him go, nice man, done a great job until recently and was amazing during the initial lockdown ringing up supporters to check on them. 

Recent results made this inevitable, especially the manner of the defeats. The players should be ashamed of themselves as they’ve cost a good man his job. That goes for Dave Kevan too.

Hopefully the gutless cowards buck their ideas up before we go down.

44 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

A novice, perhaps - but I'll bet she's more than an astute judge of character after 30 years of success building a business from the ground up. She'll make sure she gets the best advice on the footballing side and we can be confident in her judgement. Good luck to everyone involved...this is so important for us.

We're going to need Good luck in recruiting the new manager, thats's for sure.  Carol can take all the advice in the world but it's still a lottery.  Where are the managers who don't have a failure or two on their CV's?  I don't think Carol will be getting crushed in that stampede any time soon.  We're basically on a wing and a prayer that it clicks for whoever comes in.  Let's hope it does.

A tinge of sadness to see him go, none of us wanted him to leave in such a way, but after the run of results, it was, unfortunately, the inevitable end.

I said to my dad tonight, thinking back to the Notts County away game, when he was just a few games in, you could see the way the team had reformed into a high press, high energy style, I knew during that game we’d survive if we could take that into every game.

Who’s next? It’s going to be an interesting one and those players who have, in someways, seen about Askey’s demise, will be now looking over their shoulders wondering whether they will have a role to play, or indeed a future in football during such uncertain times - and rightly so! Be careful what you wish for the current crop of crap players!

Onwards and upwards, in the end I wasn’t an advocate of you staying, but I wish you all the best, thanks for the memories!

Good luck J Askey and D Kevan thanks for all you did for us last season up until covid you were doing very well .

This season being a farce because of covid but once you lost the players theres only going be one winner ,it happens at every club ,shame but that's how quickly you can go from hero to zero in football .

Genuinely sad for the bloke but his one system only and refusal change things till too late  to make  sure Vale win matches was is undoing .

No malice towards him though good luck in your next job .

As for the players it's a clean slate for them all now perform no excuses you cannot hide behind making out Askeys a poor manageranymore or making him seem that way which is what you have done .

Shape up or ship out 

UTV 

It's a funny thing when you think about it - people should be careful what they wish for.

At the back end of last season, we seemed to have a great team spirit, with a solid, core group of players leading the club in the right direction.

9 months later, with most of the same faces still there, they no longer appear to be playing for themselves, the manager, or the shirt.

If the manager has lost the players trust, or if there are people downing tools, or scheming, with the intent to get him out, then there is 0% control they have over the next appointment, so I always wonder what the end game is. Clean slate with the new guy, but he will want half a new team anyway, so you might find yourself out, which is a precarious thing at the lower end of the football ladder.

13 hours ago, Moz said:

I think this is a mistake. Carol has more than earned the right to make calls as she sees them, and I'm right behind whoever she chooses as a successor. However, I think JA was capable of turning it around. He got us playing decent football at times and would have taken us up last year if Covid hadn't come along. With the window approaching, I think he knows better than anyone what needs to change in terms of personnel - will a new manager have the same understanding? Ultimately, recruitment has cost John his job, but his ability to improve players like Joyce, Wozza and Gibbo will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.

On a side note, I find the glorying in a man losing his job to be completely unpalatable, especially when that man is decent and genuinely loved our football club. Have some trucking dignity. JA deserves better than some fan's reactions. I'm glad there are some who recognise his efforts... it gives me faith that not all our supporters are morons.

I agree. When he was first appointed I wasn't convinced but I did believe that John had more to give and was worth giving him until the end of the season. Most of the results against us were tight except for Mansfield and Conlon, Worrall, Montano and Gibbons all start and are important players when available. There is no doubt that some of John's signings this year have not worked or good enough to start but there's no evidence that he's lost the dressing room with the established players. Yes Legge has made some dreadful decisions recently but going in for challenges shows his passion. Also look at Brown when they scored-these players do want to win.

Although I dont agree with the decision I trust the management (Carol or Colin or whoever is making the footballing decisions) and back whoever they choose. I do think when everyone is fit our 11 would get us in the playoffs at the very least but some of the others are not good enough and therefore it's an important transfer window. The timing of the decision allows the next manager to make their impact. 

11 hours ago, Nightwish said:

Am completed gutted. Saw John as Vale manager for many years. Decent bloke and club in his heart. Some truths need to be published as to what the 'circumstances' were as he referred to in post Mansfield interview. Am 100% things would have changed with injured players back. Just needed John to convince Carol to pay off Whitehead, Crookes and Miles and bring in two defenders and a young striker. Things won't improve and thanks to John Askey and Dave Kevan for the good times. 

So he could sign more bad players? We were still losing every week with those players fit. Stop blaming it on injuries. Mansfield had just as many as us and smashed us 

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I see Ben whitfield’s dad has posted on Twitter, ‘good riddance to the man who tried to ruin my sons football career’. Could just be sour grapes but there does seem to be a common theme occurring of players not liking him. 

Ive heard a few things about john that i never wanted to say in here as i have heard from direct sources but i have heard if you didnt suit his style of play he would completely ignore you and have nothing to do with you which i for one don't understand why you would do this. I suspecy that is what happened to McKirdy he clearly isnt an askey player so has been completely bombed from the squad. A player in know said he has not fallen out with any of the players

i wouldnt be suprised to see him involved again in the next couple of games

14 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Ive heard a few things about john that i never wanted to say in here as i have heard from direct sources but i have heard if you didnt suit his style of play he would completely ignore you and have nothing to do with you which i for one don't understand why you would do this. I suspecy that is what happened to McKirdy he clearly isnt an askey player so has been completely bombed from the squad. A player in know said he has not fallen out with any of the players

i wouldnt be suprised to see him involved again in the next couple of games

He fell out with Mckirdey in training and that’s what lead to him being left out of the squad. It’ll be interesting to see what happens twitch Mckirdey now a Pughs taken temporary charge. 

19 hours ago, WV said:

Carol is a complete novice when it comes to appointing a football manager. Lets hope she gets it right first time. 

Good job we have an experienced CEO and club president looking after the football side of things. 

Over to you, Colin and John. 

Archived