onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Askey gone ? Yes

boslemportvale91

24 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Agree entirely, JA had done enough at Vale to warrant at least the game against Grimsby in charge. Win that one and the return of the likes of Worrall, Montano, Colon and Pope together with with a few Jan signings and the ship could well have been turned around.

I just hope Carol has a new manager ready to sign and the same fickle Vale fans are not calling for the new managers head in February 2021.

How had he? After Stevenage we were saying he’s done enough to warrant another game. Well how many times can you keep saying these? We were / are getting beaten easily by poor sides he 100% did not deserve another match. 

Jan signings under askey? Really? No way would he have signed players to turn this around. Just look at his past signings. 

vale fans have not been fickle. Far from it and askey has had it much much easier than if fans could attend. We have won 1 in 12. Yes 1 in 12 and lost to kings lynn, some of the worst performances in the clubs history (against some truly dire sides) blaming injuries isnt on. All sides have them, mansfield had just as many as us and still won more than comfortably. 

He has had at least 3/4 games more than he should have done. We can’t just keep saying one more game John. Lose and then we’re even closer to the bottom. 

Advert

17 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I just would like a manager with more than 6 points in 36, personally. 46 wins would be decent, though.

Are you suggesting Carol has been swayed by a gobby dozen? Very poor comment to make on our excellent chairlady, mate. Write a formal apology to her. So negative.

Not much to ask really in the basement of English football. Yet some somehow think he deserved more time. Mad that. 

3 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Moron in chief for being ridiculed for saying about how askey needed to go a long time before everyone else and getting absolutely slated for it

I’m trying to turn over a new leaf and be a bit more positive and kind at the moment... so I for one would like to say I went in too hard on you and I genuinely apologise.

For clarify, I will just point out my criticism wasnt that you wanted Askey gone, different points of view belong on a forum as should some healthy disagreement. It’s was the ferocious and continuous posting of said message over and over again that I was ridiculing you for.

That said, as I say, I went over the top and I apologise.

9 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Not much to ask really in the basement of English football. Yet some somehow think he deserved more time. Mad that. 

Like, I get that he did a decent job and we should wish him well. I'd buy him a pint if I saw him.

However, the belief that he needed one more game and one more window after the recent shambles is overstepping the platitudes, in my view. Mansfield, and the apparent debacle afterwards, is sufficient evidence that his position was untenable.

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I’m trying to turn over a new leaf and be a bit more positive and kind at the moment... so I for one would like to say I went in too hard on you and I genuinely apologise.

For clarify, I will just point out my criticism wasnt that you wanted Askey gone, different points of view belong on a forum as should some healthy disagreement. It’s was the ferocious and continuous posting of said message over and over again that I was ridiculing you for.

That said, as I say, I went over the top and I apologise.

I accept your apology and offer mine aswel both said things that we didnt mean. 

however the reason i posted ferociously is due to the fact i reached the pulling my hair out stage a lot sooner than everyone else i think. And the fact nobody was seeing what was going on was frustrating to me, and people were having personal digs at me rather than asking to debate the points i was making. All is forgotten

but the askey era is done and im going to be getting fully behind whoever is appointed as they have a massive job on our hands.

UTV

I take no joy in his dismissal, he tried his best and it hasn’t worked out for whatever reason, there may have been “goings on” that we are not privy to, but with 5 mins to go in the Tranmere game were sitting in third place I believe, then it all went wrong..... ironically today a memory popped up on my Facebook page, it was Tom Pope celebrating after scoring at Man City, this will be my lasting memory of John Askey.... thank you for your efforts.

3AC4B415-4D0F-49B7-BA5A-DC686613AB53.jpeg

I feel for Askey. He came across as a gentleman who wanted the best for Port Vale and always conducted himself with integrity. As others have said, he saved us 18 months ago, gave us that great day out at City and but for Covid might well have got us in the play-offs. I'll happily shake his hand in thanks and gratitude and I'm very sorry it hasn't worked out.

That said, managers live and die by results and we've seen a number of abysmal displays of late. A very embarrassing Cup defeat, several home games that have been akin to watching paint dry, and a recent run if 6/36 points is clearly not acceptable - for whatever reason - and I think it was probably time to change. Only time will tell. But we probably couldn't afford to let it drag on for longer.  If we are to twist then the new fella needs a week or two and the rest of the window to view the lie of the land and begin to swap some around. We need a boost or we're heading for oblivion - and I don't mean Alton Towers, more Boreham Wood and Maidenhead. 

What's gone on in the background seems to have upset the applecart and in part contributed to today's news. Whatever it is, it has to stop and we need to terminate the contracts of anyone not fighting hard for PVFC.

The easy bit we've done. The hard bit is to find someone a lot better. Good luck with that Carol.

Was somewhat fortunate to last as long as he did, and he can't say that he didn't have enough time to turn things around. Still, he was a good bloke and clearly enjoyed being at the club, at least until things started to go very wrong on the pitch, and I wish him nothing but well whatever he does next.

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

What has pleased me is that a lot of supporters who wanted him gone are still humble enough to say that it's a sad day and wish him well and thank him for his efforts. 

Pity everyone can't do that. 

Good post and I too thank John and wish him well.

I guess Vale fans maybe more than most (certainly since 2013) know when it's bad and know from experience when it is time for change.

For me signs were there with the poor recruitment this term, it no where matched the anticipation and expectations of all at Vale. There has always been an issue with JA and Tom Pope to such an extent jA was making an example of Tom, his lifestyle, etc. He was always on a loser with the Pope, rightly or wrongly imo. Tom has carried the forward line of Vale for many years and deserves his status as a club legend imo.

To capitulate in the way we have results wise and particularly defensively obviously points to a lack of squad cohesion and desire. There has been infighting and discipline issues which in the end have resulted in JA being 'thrown under the bus' to a degree, he has also contributed, mainly with piss poor recruitment (assuming he has signed the players), some notable substitutions and selections.

Striker wise we have as much goal threat as a wet fart in a paper bag tbh this term. There have been issues with fitness and injury to players notably Cullen, Oyeleke and Montano. Jake Taylor complemented Burgess and Joyce in midfield last term. Mitch Clark should be standing head and shoulders above most League 2 opposition (what happened with him?) we miss Gibbo and Brown could not continue his saves/ game ratio of early season.

Has the appointment of Frank Sinclair had an influence - some in the know say so?

All in all Carol and the board will have been distraught to remove JA who afterall has a family legacy at VP and cares passionately about Vale, he's no different than me in that respect though.

Financially the Shanahan's must be crippled with having to pay the 'Fat Controller' £1.6-1.8M per year, add the lost £1M revenue from Covid, wasting 2 years wages on Robinson (allegedly £2K a week?), probably laying out £250-£300K to Askey and Kevean over a period of time. We are in the <ovf censored>.

Next manager: No chance of affording Graeme Alexander (my choice), Derek Adams offers potential, stay away from has-beens like Allen and Grayson. I'd consult John Rudge personally, even give MA a bell. Both he and Horton would kick some arse short-term.

I believe and trust Carol and the board will make the right decision to match their ambitions for the Vale, it will come at a cost, everything does but in football there are no guarantees, of that you can be sure.

Another sad day for all at Port Vale

I think that the vast majority Vale fans will be saddened tonight. Askey seemed an ideal fit and maybe we got a bit ahead of ourselves last summer and expectations got over-inflated?? I don’t know.

What I do know is that it’s probably a good job for the players that fans aren’t allowed in because it would be a very toxic atmosphere. 

We know that there is a half-decent team in there somewhere, so maybe a hard task-master / disciplinarian like Parkinson is exactly what we need??

12 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Good post and I too thank John and wish him well.

I guess Vale fans maybe more than most (certainly since 2013) know when it's bad and know from experience when it is time for change.

For me signs were there with the poor recruitment this term, it no where matched the anticipation and expectations of all at Vale. There has always been an issue with JA and Tom Pope to such an extent jA was making an example of Tom, his lifestyle, etc. He was always on a loser with the Pope, rightly or wrongly imo. Tom has carried the forward line of Vale for many years and deserves his status as a club legend imo.

To capitulate in the way we have results wise and particularly defensively obviously points to a lack of squad cohesion and desire. There has been infighting and discipline issues which in the end have resulted in JA being 'thrown under the bus' to a degree, he has also contributed, mainly with piss poor recruitment (assuming he has signed the players), some notable substitutions and selections.

Striker wise we have as much goal threat as a wet fart in a paper bag tbh this term. There have been issues with fitness and injury to players notably Cullen, Oyeleke and Montano. Jake Taylor complemented Burgess and Joyce in midfield last term. Mitch Clark should be standing head and shoulders above most League 2 opposition (what happened with him?) we miss Gibbo and Brown could not continue his saves/ game ratio of early season.

Has the appointment of Frank Sinclair had an influence - some in the know say so?

All in all Carol and the board will have been distraught to remove JA who afterall has a family legacy at VP and cares passionately about Vale, he's no different than me in that respect though.

Financially the Shanahan's must be crippled with having to pay the 'Fat Controller' £1.6-1.8M per year, add the lost £1M revenue from Covid, wasting 2 years wages on Robinson (allegedly £2K a week?), probably laying out £250-£300K to Askey and Kevean over a period of time. We are in the <ovf censored>.

Next manager: No chance of affording Graeme Alexander (my choice), Derek Adams offers potential, stay away from has-beens like Allen and Grayson. I'd consult John Rudge personally, even give MA a bell. Both he and Horton would kick some arse short-term.

I believe and trust Carol and the board will make the right decision to match their ambitions for the Vale, it will come at a cost, everything does but in football there are no guarantees, of that you can be sure.

Another sad day for all at Port Vale

A lovely post here, with some heartfelt words that most Vale fans would second. I'll differ slightly with some of the managerial replacement opinions,  but I guess that we're all entitled to that in the interest of encouraging healthy fans debate. Carol needs to, and surely will take advice, because  choosing a football manager is a totally different challenge to appointing a general manager than in any other business,  where normal rules of corporate selection don't apply. 

Am completed gutted. Saw John as Vale manager for many years. Decent bloke and club in his heart. Some truths need to be published as to what the 'circumstances' were as he referred to in post Mansfield interview. Am 100% things would have changed with injured players back. Just needed John to convince Carol to pay off Whitehead, Crookes and Miles and bring in two defenders and a young striker. Things won't improve and thanks to John Askey and Dave Kevan for the good times. 

49 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

Just needed John to convince Carol to pay off Whitehead, Crookes and Miles and bring in two defenders and a young striker.

So you want John Askey to convince his boss to part with her hard earned cash to pay off 3 players he had signed, before the end of the contracts he had signed them to, because they're not good enough? Do you understand why Carol might be hesitant to pay off bad players Askey had signed, and then give Askey MORE money to sign players with?

49 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

Things won't improve and thanks to John Askey and Dave Kevan for the good times. 

And follow it up with this. I like Askey but you're doing Carol Shanahan a huge disservice by saying we/she can't do any better than John Askey, and really playing Port Vale down. Have some optimism. We'll be sound.

I get we're all disappointed but come on lads.

6 hours ago, WV said:

Carol is a complete novice when it comes to appointing a football manager. Lets hope she gets it right first time. 

A novice, perhaps - but I'll bet she's more than an astute judge of character after 30 years of success building a business from the ground up. She'll make sure she gets the best advice on the footballing side and we can be confident in her judgement. Good luck to everyone involved...this is so important for us.

Archived