onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Askey gone ? Yes

boslemportvale91

Just now, TJHValiant said:

It was good, I enjoyed it hugely but a “memory to last a lifetime” is hyperbole of the highest order.

Askey ruined my Christmas with a series of dire performances.  

Disagree . Only my opinion. I still remember fondly Derby, Liverpool, Everton. 

That moment will live with me forever because sat next to me was my son. 

You are more than welcome to disagree I'm just offering my personal opinion. 

Advert

I think this is a mistake. Carol has more than earned the right to make calls as she sees them, and I'm right behind whoever she chooses as a successor. However, I think JA was capable of turning it around. He got us playing decent football at times and would have taken us up last year if Covid hadn't come along. With the window approaching, I think he knows better than anyone what needs to change in terms of personnel - will a new manager have the same understanding? Ultimately, recruitment has cost John his job, but his ability to improve players like Joyce, Wozza and Gibbo will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.

On a side note, I find the glorying in a man losing his job to be completely unpalatable, especially when that man is decent and genuinely loved our football club. Have some trucking dignity. JA deserves better than some fan's reactions. I'm glad there are some who recognise his efforts... it gives me faith that not all our supporters are morons.

"Askey ruined my Christmas with a series of dire performances."  

Sorry to hear that TJH, but you might find that the players were responsible too.  Askey may have picked them and given them the tactics, but I'm pretty sure conceding within a minute wasn't part of his team talk.  

Like many on here, I feel the players have to take some responsibility too. Hopefully, the new boss will root out the crud and lower the average age of the squad with some exciting young players.  

21 minutes ago, Moz said:

I think this is a mistake. Carol has more than earned the right to make calls as she sees them, and I'm right behind whoever she chooses as a successor. However, I think JA was capable of turning it around. He got us playing decent football at times and would have taken us up last year if Covid hadn't come along. With the window approaching, I think he knows better than anyone what needs to change in terms of personnel - will a new manager have the same understanding? Ultimately, recruitment has cost John his job, but his ability to improve players like Joyce, Wozza and Gibbo will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.

On a side note, I find the glorying in a man losing his job to be completely unpalatable, especially when that man is decent and genuinely loved our football club. Have some trucking dignity. JA deserves better than some fan's reactions. I'm glad there are some who recognise his efforts... it gives me faith that not all our supporters are morons.

Hi john

29 minutes ago, Moz said:

Agree with your 2nd paragraph however I can’t see how in any way this is a mistake. 

32 minutes ago, Moz said:

Well said that man.......

A shame but I think his time had come. He was just getting to the point where the opportunity to turn it around was running out. I wouldn't have complained if he had been given a bit longer but as someone who likes managers to be given time to correct bad form I was running out of hope. Good luck John.

Now a very important decision needs to be made. Let's hope we get it right.

Like a number of other posters I feel it had to happen but take no pleasure when it does. JA & DK gave me believe after the Blue To$$er debacle. 
What is ironic is two people with the best intentions can be jettisoned but we are stuck with the apparent villains totally unaffected. 

45 minutes ago, Moz said:

Agree entirely, JA had done enough at Vale to warrant at least the game against Grimsby in charge. Win that one and the return of the likes of Worrall, Montano, Colon and Pope together with with a few Jan signings and the ship could well have been turned around.

I just hope Carol has a new manager ready to sign and the same fickle Vale fans are not calling for the new managers head in February 2021.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

With the window approaching, I think he knows better than anyone what needs to change in terms of personnel 

I agree with all of your post apart from this. Askey, unfortunately, had a poor track record with recruitment and the idea that THIS window would be the one he nails is contravening all previous evidence

I liked the bloke but there was no guarantee we'd even make the playoffs last season, let alone being surefire to go up.

4 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Unless he wins every game, the gobby dozen will be slagging whoever it is off.

I just would like a manager with more than 6 points in 36, personally. 46 wins would be decent, though.

Are you suggesting Carol has been swayed by a gobby dozen? Very poor comment to make on our excellent chairlady, mate. Write a formal apology to her. So negative.

Archived