onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Askey gone ? Yes

boslemportvale91

18 minutes ago, vale@rocks said:

I feel an element of guilt and sorry for him. I am certainly one of many who called for this and if true its a huge opportunity to set out a road map for the owners. In theory its not too late either as we are still in reach of the playoffs. So mixed feelings but pleased that suddenly theres a beacon of light and some optimism. Lets hope it is true.

I'm not happy that he's supposedly lost his job.

Unlike Scumthwaite, it's difficult to celebrate someone getting the boot when they're actually an affable and nice bloke.

I feel really harsh for saying it but unfortunately I just didn't think he was up to it and his limitations could no longer be covered up. No plan B, one dimensional tactics, inability to react or change a game are all criticisms that we have all been frustrated by since he started. 

It's unpleasant but what can you do. I can imagine Carol is actually quite upset.

I have never felt sorry for a departing Vale manager like this before, but unfortunately it's necessary. 

Advert

Had all the backing he wanted but the flaws were too eminent by the end; poor recruitment, one dimensional, poor in-game management. 

However, he did steer us in the right direction and did a good job keeping us in the league when the fans were preoccupied with removing Smurthwaite. 

I doubt any fans have any real animosity for him and hold him in reasonable regard for Man City away and the brief time in February-March where he got us excited for the first time in over 5 years.

Alas, this is the right decision for the club. 

18 minutes ago, Doha said:

I'm not happy that he's supposedly lost his job.

Unlike Scumthwaite, it's difficult to celebrate someone getting the boot when they're actually an affable and nice bloke.

I feel really harsh for saying it but unfortunately I just didn't think he was up to it and his limitations could no longer be covered up. No plan B, one dimensional tactics, inability to react or change a game are all criticisms that we have all been frustrated by since he started. 

It's unpleasant but what can you do. I can imagine Carol is actually quite upset.

I have never felt sorry for a departing Vale manager like this before, but unfortunately it's necessary. 

Totally agree... If he has gone, which its looking increasingly likely he has... then He should be remembered as someone who helped the club enormously in some of its darkest hours.

I have NO doubt that his intentions were always good.

Thanks you for the service John. I wish you the best.

20 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

If he does end up going, I would love us go for Derek Adams but I can't see us going for someone in a job.  For everyone calling for an experienced manager, just look at the top of the league, Carlisle, Cheltenham and Newport, all appointed managers and it was their first job in management, experience is not everything.

Rob Page, Michael Brown, Neil Aspin, Bruno Ribeiro, Dean Glover, Lee Sinnott

We've had more than enough chancers.

I really feel it's time for experience now. At least to steady the ship and oversee the rebuilding of our aging squad.

2 minutes ago, geosname said:

Is he taking any of the crap players with him?

If he does go, watch the crap players start playing well again under the new manager.  That's usually what happens trying to impress them and so pick them for the first team.

Just now, werstayinup said:

This is the worrying part but i guess she will call on Rudge and Garlick when interviewing and choosing

She will have watched a ton of football in these leagues as a fan. She went to nearly every home/away game which is more than a lot of us can say!

She'll have seen what types of teams do well and what types of manager do well.

I think people really underestimate her sometimes. 

Can't do much worse than Smurthwaite who would just ask candidates their salary expectations and choose the lowest.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Had all the backing he wanted but the flaws were too eminent by the end; poor recruitment, one dimensional, poor in-game management. 

However, he did steer us in the right direction and did a good job keeping us in the league when the fans were preoccupied with removing Smurthwaite. 

I doubt any fans have any real animosity for him and hold him in reasonable regard for Man City away and the brief time in February-March where he got us excited for the first time in over 5 years.

Alas, this is the right decision for the club. 

12 months today. Genuinely horrible irony.

eQkObZB.jpg

A sad day! But unfortunately necessary some of the recent performances have been totally unacceptable. I can take loosing but I cannot accept half hearted and clueless efforts. I feel so sorry for Carol and Kevin they deserve better than this. If the players don't get there act together and give 100% every time they put on the shirt they should be ashamed.       

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

She will have watched a ton of football in these leagues as a fan. She went to nearly every home/away game which is more than a lot of us can say!

She'll have seen what types of teams do well and what types of manager do well.

I think people really underestimate her sometimes. 

Can't do much worse than Smurthwaite who would just ask candidates their salary expectations and choose the lowest.

This is very true but i do know she relies on Garlick for most footballing decisions,we know she is capable of hiring and firing in her business and as you say she will probably be like us and have managers names she might like in her head,it will be down to them to then sell themselves at interview and to but in to what she wants for the club.

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Totally agree... If he has gone, which its looking increasingly likely he has... then He should be remembered as someone who helped the club enormously in some of its darkest hours.

I have NO doubt that his intentions were always good.

Thanks you for the service John. I wish you the best.

If he has actually been sacked or walked, then like all managers that have left, he will be remembered for the good times as well as the sad times at the end of their Vale career.  He has always wanted the best for Vale due to his connections to the club, but some of his baffling tactics and subs have always wound fans up.  

But the Owners and Board should take some of the blame for allowing JA and Co so much time before taking action.  They were probably hoping he would turn it around and start winning again so they would not have to make this decision.  

Lets see what comes out of Vale before thinking has he gone.  This is Vale we are talking about and things are never straight forward being a Vale fan.  

Archived