onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

strange affairs!/?

geoff1

Advert

Simply a question (or 3)....

As I'm trying to figure out why the defence became totally self-destructive, I started to think about coaching rather than the individual players. Therefore, the only thing I could think that had properly changed was the appointment of Frank Sinclair (not sure when he was appointed).

Therefore, the questions are:

1) Does the timeline match up to the demise of the defence?

2) Does he actually have anything to do with the first team coaching?

3) Am I adding 2 + 2 together and getting 5 or could this be the strange things that have started to go on from an ex-Prem professional who may think he knows better?

I honestly don't know anything from the inside, just can't see it being the players alone and something is amiss when the defence goes from basically the strongest in the division to the weakest almost overnight!

5 minutes ago, MickyVale said:

As I'm trying to figure out why the defence became totally self-destructive, I started to think about coaching rather than the individual players. Therefore, the only thing I could think that had properly changed was the appointment of Frank Sinclair (not sure when he was appointed).

3) Am I adding 2 + 2 together and getting 5 or could this be the strange things that have started to go on from an ex-Prem professional who may think he knows better?

I honestly don't know anything from the inside, just can't see it being the players alone and something is amiss when the defence goes from basically the strongest in the division to the weakest almost overnight!

Also don’t forget that even though we’ve seen defenders make individual errors that we should be defending as a team, and when we can’t keep the ball, create chances or finish then that adds even more pressure because the ball just keeps coming back. 

I think that because we are playing a lot of games very quickly we are unable to press teams as we did in Spring, the older players are not at the same level as they were 12 months ago, and with so many injuries (partly brought about, again, because we are playing so often) then we were bound to run into problems. 

But these things were predictable and we haven't planned properly for them. Every fan knows that we've got an aged spine to the team, 3-4 permanently injured players, and that we needed 2-3 in the summer who could immediately make us stronger rather than more squad players.

All teams have poor runs and dips in form. I just think we might have been able to have foreseen a lot of this and planned more wisely for it in the summer.

We lack a bit of bite, aggression and muscular presence for me. Maybe even need a stronger captain (much as I admire Legge for what he's done at the Club). We are a bit lightweight and can get roughed up/bullied by some teams. At our level, a good big 'un is better than a good little 'un. We've missed a Griffith or a Grant for some time (again, taking nothing away from Joyce who has been good overall but he isn't that type of player).

A lot to think about in January and in the summer. Big changes ahead quite possibly.

2 hours ago, MickyVale said:

i think part of the problem is playing 4 3 3. we dont seem capable of adapting to an opposing team which plays 4 4 2 or a diamond formation leaving us overrun in midfield. also forwards not capable of running at defences and shooting. besides that i think well be ok.

This is an interesting exercise in crisis management for Carol. 

The problem with the professional approach to keeping everything in house in terms of radio silence on issues is that when it's going tlts up like it is now (on the pitch, off the pitch is sound) it creates a void.

You inevitably get gobshltes moving in that void to make up rumours about her son signing players, or insinuating there was a massive Gannon style punch up on the team coach and people got thrown off. 

It's the price you pay for not being a loudmouth pub talker like Scumthwaite, but now she has to manage the problem of shltstirrers using her professionalism and refusal to gob off to the papers at every turn as a vehicle to attack her. 

Archived