Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

What a weird turn for the thread.

I also find it incredibly bizarre that people are blaming Sinclair for our troubles without a shred of evidence. Quite disrespectful to him really as well when he’s probably trying his best with his job. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't overly get carried away as this is our worst team for as long as I can remember. You really didn't have to play well to beat us though and I think you have far more tougher challenges to co

Worrall creates all 3 goals. Get him off, should be scoring.

Shout out too to Adam Yates. Excellent, sensible summary on the game throughout. Well done lads. We can do it when we apply ourselves.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mario said:

The thing is we have lost against some really poor sides this season today the application was far better.

Completely agree Mario. Of late at times we've made Mansfield look like AC Milan and Barrow like Barcelona. Today though, through the application that you mention, we at the very least made a poorish Grimsby look like a..... er, well, poorish Grimsby. 

There are important days ahead of course, but for tonight I'll just enjoy a Vale win

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Rory said:
4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:
That poor team was put together by The hugely experienced Ian Holloway whom several on here wanted as our manager. Experience isn’t everything. Brian Horton used to say he’d had 20 years experience in management but really he’d only had one year repeated 20 times. 

Brian would sort this out.

He's certainly held in better respect than many Vale fans have for him!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Can I add now that the Sunderland game should have no bearing on any decision for or against Pugh 

Just my personal opinion . But the Pizza Kebab Burger trophy is not a yardstick for our progress .

Forest Green away most certainly is 

I wouldn’t even judge Pugh on the forest green game as I think they’re a good side and we could well end up losing even if we had Jurgen klopp in the dugout. He’s won his first game and that’s a big three points yesterday. If we go on to get positive results against Walsall and Southend (if he’s still in charge then) then that’s a good solid start for him. 
we were far from great today,  but we did the job. I feel that’s a game we would’ve lost under John Askey. So give Danny Pugh credit for getting the players to put a shift in and everyone worked hard. We had a bit of luck today with their offside goal and we had the own goal which wouldn’t have happened under Askey but you create your own luck.  We were in a rut with John and it wasn’t going to change.

Today felt different. So well done Danny Pugh for today and let’s get prepared for Saturday and try get some more points on the board. 

Edited by sandyford_valiant
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

Completely agree Mario. Of late at times we've made Mansfield look like AC Milan and Barrow like Barcelona. Today though, through the application that you mention, we at the very least made a poorish Grimsby look like a..... er, well, poorish Grimsby. 

There are important days ahead of course, but for tonight I'll just enjoy a Vale win

Yes I agree    I am a Happy vale fan tonight . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

9 hours ago, toyahw said:

Solid but unspectacular effort from us today. Ball ran for us a bit. Deserved win, very welcome three points. This back and forth bickering between certain posters is tiresome for the rest of us.

Hear hear.

And in other news a much maligned and sinking Port Vale gave a good account of themselves and won a crucial game 3-0.

The game seems to of been forgotten somewhat

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I didnt see the first 13 mins so missed the first goal but then tuned in and saw a fantastic team goal second finished by Rodney superbly then we defended ok and after a mistake at the back Rodney put wide when maybe he should have at least got it on target ,

Smith headed just past the post and we finished the half brightly .

Second half we didnt get going at all but held our shape and closed down the gaps then scored a undeserved third after defence splitting pass from Burgess sent Worrall through and his ball in was so good there defender couldn't put it anywhere than in his own net .

Then we went mega defensive and got away with a few situations which on another day we wouldn't so at 3-0 I was feeling uneasy but thank goodness we didnt give them a leg up poor side or not they will still be league 2 next season as they did especially second half have way too much of the ball for my liking .

Regards individuals here my Mark's 

Brown 7 good save from deflected shot 

Mills 6 steady hardly any errors 

Brisley 7.3

Smith 7

Montano 6

Worrall 7.8

Joyce 7.5

Conlon 7

Rodney 7.6

Pope 7.7 

Hurst 7.2 

Interim Manager Pugh 8.0 tactically excellent and for the first time in many weeks we did not look like we were going concede over 4 goals ,terrific really that we didnt concede any at all said it all for me when much maligned Robinson come on and was putting sliding tackles in .

A very good start to his job as interim manager and if all the player are willing to put it in for him then great that benefits the Vale greatly so well done all involved as part of the training team Paynter Griffith and Sinclair 

UTV 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wootter said:

Your all a bunch of knobs 

sorted

bye

ALL mmmm a little bit rude 🙂 anyway no loss.

Back to the game I thought Joyce did ok but got booked early doors by pulling his man back,if playing 4-4-2 i think i would like to see a pacy younger player in there alongside conlon. Also thought Burgess played one of his better games when put in a number 10 role

6 hours ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I wouldn’t even judge Pugh on the forest green game as I think they’re a good side and we could well end up losing even if we had Jurgen klopp in the dugout. He’s won his first game and that’s a big three points yesterday. If we go on to get positive results against Walsall and Southend (if he’s still in charge then) then that’s a good solid start for him. 
we were far from great today,  but we did the job. I feel that’s a game we would’ve lost under John Askey. So give Danny Pugh credit for getting the players to put a shift in and everyone worked hard. We had a bit of luck today with their offside goal and we had the own goal which wouldn’t have happened under Askey but you create your own luck.  We were in a rut with John and it wasn’t going to change.

Today felt different. So well done Danny Pugh for today and let’s get prepared for Saturday and try get some more points on the board. 

If you can’t judge Pugh on the forest green game cos they are a good side you can’t judge him to much on the Grimsby game either cos they were shocking certs to go down 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

The next couple of games will show if he has the abilities to take this role on.  

I totally agree,not too fussed on Tuesday although it would be nice to go through,Saturday will be a big gauge for me against a good side.

All i will say is if Carol intends to go down the new young manager route,linked with Murray then why not Pugh

Advert:

Hear hear.
And in other news a much maligned and sinking Port Vale gave a good account of themselves and won a crucial game 3-0.
The game seems to of been forgotten somewhat
After the run of results we have had we can hardly expect a team brimming with confidence . Most games have 2 different halves, 2-0 at HT then shut up shop is a vast improvement on recent events. What would it have been like losing? Changes take time, we will get there.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I thought first half we were back to what we are good at, round pegs in round holes etc, high pressing game and plenty of energy.

Some are saying we 'got lucky' with their offside goal and the one that hit the post but really? If it's offside, it's offside, no luck involved.

We definitely deserved to go in 2 up and I thought that barring a cock-up in our defence, there was no way were we going to throw this game away.

The substitution at half time seemed to unsettle us somewhat and Grimsby were obviously going to give it a go second half but I thought we marshalled the game well.

No nonsence from the defenders, no pratting about - BOOT, which in my opinion was good to see, yes it's not pretty on the eye but it was effective.

The third goal came just at the right time and from then on it was just a case of seeing out te remainder of the game.

All in all a good win against a pretty poor outfit and if we can beat the poorer teams and pick up some points against those above/around us then we will soon look alot healthier.

Well done to Danny, the coaching staff, the groundsman, the team and the marvellous, very vocal support.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

If you can’t judge Pugh on the forest green game cos they are a good side you can’t judge him to much on the Grimsby game either cos they were shocking certs to go down 

I havent judged him on one game, didn’t you read where I said the Walsall and Southend game were the ones where I would judge him by. He will probably bring player or two in soon so I’ll see where we are with Pugh after the Southend game.

Edited by sandyford_valiant

3 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I havent judged him on one game, didn’t you read where I said the Walsall and Southend game were the ones where I would judge him by. 

So so sorry but then agen Walsall are a pretty good side 

Work rate of players - clearly better. Especially when we didn’t have the ball.

Formation/Tactics:

Playing 442 - We didn’t play the intricate football we played under Askey (at times) but we were much more direct. I.e. getting the ball down the wing, crosses into the box from the wing, long/high balls into their box. It’s more simple tactics but was effective. Especially with 2 up front. Much more of a threat. More for the opposition centre half’s to think about. However, playing 442 - bossing the midfield is a bit of a worry. If we go for Pugh I think fans may need to (at first) adjust their expectations from watching an intricate passing style under Askey to a style which is more direct but hopefully more efficient when scoring goals.

Second Half - Reverted to 451. Didn’t play great or were we as much of a threat going forward. But we didn’t need to be. We were 2-0 up. For me this was a deliberate tactical change by Pugh/Sinclair in ‘suring up’ the game.  And it worked.

January Signings:

If we go 442- do we need another striker? I don’t think so. I would try to (if possible) bring a CM in who could boss the game. A ‘midfield general’. Not easy to find, I appreciate. If we can get one in though, we could/should push on.

Thought 442 worked well yesterday although ironically I’ve never been a massive fan of it in recent years. But, I’m open minded to it if we play like we did yesterday.

Finally:

It might only have been Grimsby but the point is: The players are trying hard again!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

10 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

So so sorry but then agen Walsall are a pretty good side 

I agree They are a lot better than Grimsby for sure, but at home you’d be looking for a positive result. Think what I was saying if we come out of the four league games (if he’s still in charge) with say two wins a draw and a defeat them I’d say he’s had a decent start as manager. That’s what I’ll be judging him on. After the four games I’d imagine he will either be given the job till the end of the season or a new manager will be ready to replace him.