Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Pope and Rodney will be interesting. Very physical front two. Hurst and Worrall should be pinging those lovely crosses of theirs at every opportunity.

Joyce in a 2 can concern me, but Conlon covers a lot of ground. 

Please win.

• Like 2

Advert:

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't overly get carried away as this is our worst team for as long as I can remember. You really didn't have to play well to beat us though and I think you have far more tougher challenges to co

Worrall creates all 3 goals. Get him off, should be scoring.

Shout out too to Adam Yates. Excellent, sensible summary on the game throughout. Well done lads. We can do it when we apply ourselves.

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Brown

mills smith brisley monty

Worral Joyce Conlon hurst

rodney pope

4-4-2 it is then

could also switch it to 3-5-2 if needed as mills can play cb as well(he really needs a massive improvement though)

Advert:

5 changes but I imagine Askey would have made 4 changes. The only difference being Pope up front. 

Different formation, I hope it works. Reckon there is goals in this.

• Like 2

5 changes but I imagine Askey would have made 4 changes. The only difference being Pope up front. 
Different formation, I hope it works. Reckon there is goals in this.

Which end ?

4 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

A new formation finally shame askey didnt notice it was needed else could of potentially turned it around for himself

He tried it and got slammed on here for us being too open. Yet we’ve been far more open in other games playing 433 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

A new formation finally shame askey didnt notice it was needed else could of potentially turned it around for himself

On the odd occasion he went 4-4-2 we were shocking tbf but maybe that was because his 4-3-3 was set in their heads

Pope and Rodney up front need matches together to form a decent partnership. It's the two up front that many have wanted to see for ages. Let's hope they "click" and start banging in the goals.

• Like 2

Advert:

Posted (edited)

This could still be 4-3-3 with Wozza playing centrally but I'm expecting us to play 4-4-2 with Rodney told to lay just off Pope and running in behind from his flick ons.

Formation wise probably will look more 4-4-1-1

Edited by MBE

Posted (edited)

Pugh has had a full week with these, and bar Gibbons, Legge, and Oyeleke, has a fully fit squad. The players clearly rate him, as do the owners and Garlick.

I'm not putting pressure on him, but he's at a massive advantage over every other applicant in that he basically gets a trial run. If he fails to take his chance then he can't blame Carol looking elsewhere. She needs someone who will make a very quick impact on results, and Pugh has the benefit of knowing every player inside and out. He's also playing one of the worst professional football teams in the country.

A big day for any managerial aspirations he may hold. 

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

3 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Does anyone know if Yates has his coaching badges?? Always seems talk sense to me on the radio,i would sooner him than sinclair

Respected Yatesy last week for giving the players both barrels. Whoever is the manager the fans deserved better than we got from our players against Mansfield. They were a collective disgrace.

• Like 1

442 interesting, good to have worral and hurst sending balls into front 2. Problem is you take a man out of the the center. Conlon needs to be a busy boy today. Be interesting to see how much the full backs push on in this system. It has the flexibility to revert to 3 in the middle, with Rodney dropping deeper if were getting overun in the middle.
Come on Vale, cheer me up with 3 points please.

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Could be 4231? 

I hope not. You shouldn't need to defensive holding midfielders at home,especially playing a team 2nd bottom who have struggled to score goals away from home.

That formation at home would be going back to the dark ages of Gannon.