onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

11 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

The next couple of games will show if he has the abilities to take this role on.  

I totally agree,not too fussed on Tuesday although it would be nice to go through,Saturday will be a big gauge for me against a good side.

All i will say is if Carol intends to go down the new young manager route,linked with Murray then why not Pugh

Advert

Hear hear.
And in other news a much maligned and sinking Port Vale gave a good account of themselves and won a crucial game 3-0.
The game seems to of been forgotten somewhat
After the run of results we have had we can hardly expect a team brimming with confidence . Most games have 2 different halves, 2-0 at HT then shut up shop is a vast improvement on recent events. What would it have been like losing? Changes take time, we will get there.

I thought first half we were back to what we are good at, round pegs in round holes etc, high pressing game and plenty of energy.

Some are saying we 'got lucky' with their offside goal and the one that hit the post but really? If it's offside, it's offside, no luck involved.

We definitely deserved to go in 2 up and I thought that barring a cock-up in our defence, there was no way were we going to throw this game away.

The substitution at half time seemed to unsettle us somewhat and Grimsby were obviously going to give it a go second half but I thought we marshalled the game well.

No nonsence from the defenders, no pratting about - BOOT, which in my opinion was good to see, yes it's not pretty on the eye but it was effective.

The third goal came just at the right time and from then on it was just a case of seeing out te remainder of the game.

All in all a good win against a pretty poor outfit and if we can beat the poorer teams and pick up some points against those above/around us then we will soon look alot healthier.

Well done to Danny, the coaching staff, the groundsman, the team and the marvellous, very vocal support.

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

If you can’t judge Pugh on the forest green game cos they are a good side you can’t judge him to much on the Grimsby game either cos they were shocking certs to go down 

I havent judged him on one game, didn’t you read where I said the Walsall and Southend game were the ones where I would judge him by. He will probably bring player or two in soon so I’ll see where we are with Pugh after the Southend game.

Work rate of players - clearly better. Especially when we didn’t have the ball.

Formation/Tactics:

Playing 442 - We didn’t play the intricate football we played under Askey (at times) but we were much more direct. I.e. getting the ball down the wing, crosses into the box from the wing, long/high balls into their box. It’s more simple tactics but was effective. Especially with 2 up front. Much more of a threat. More for the opposition centre half’s to think about. However, playing 442 - bossing the midfield is a bit of a worry. If we go for Pugh I think fans may need to (at first) adjust their expectations from watching an intricate passing style under Askey to a style which is more direct but hopefully more efficient when scoring goals.

Second Half - Reverted to 451. Didn’t play great or were we as much of a threat going forward. But we didn’t need to be. We were 2-0 up. For me this was a deliberate tactical change by Pugh/Sinclair in ‘suring up’ the game.  And it worked.

January Signings:

If we go 442- do we need another striker? I don’t think so. I would try to (if possible) bring a CM in who could boss the game. A ‘midfield general’. Not easy to find, I appreciate. If we can get one in though, we could/should push on.

Thought 442 worked well yesterday although ironically I’ve never been a massive fan of it in recent years. But, I’m open minded to it if we play like we did yesterday.

Finally:

It might only have been Grimsby but the point is: The players are trying hard again!

10 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

So so sorry but then agen Walsall are a pretty good side 

I agree They are a lot better than Grimsby for sure, but at home you’d be looking for a positive result. Think what I was saying if we come out of the four league games (if he’s still in charge) with say two wins a draw and a defeat them I’d say he’s had a decent start as manager. That’s what I’ll be judging him on. After the four games I’d imagine he will either be given the job till the end of the season or a new manager will be ready to replace him.

5 hours ago, Vale at home said:

Yes I agree    I am a Happy vale fan tonight . 

Not a "happy clapper" I hope Vah?????????? 😂

My thoughts reflect a lot of the other sensible ones on here. Thought it was a good solid performance, well worth the 3 points....Grimsby were poor but as others have said we've lost these type of games recently. At least, as I said at half time, the players looked like they wanted to play.

One thing I didn't get and hope the "managers" on here can help educate me is;

I spotted Rodders was struggling during the first half and it was no surprise when he went off at half time....but why was Burgess brought on? For me we then allowed them the ball too much because Popey became more and more isolated and I was getting  a bit worried until that brilliant pass from Burgess sent Wozza through and at 3-0 I could breathe easy. What are people's thoughts about why he didn't go with Theo up front with Popey? i have heard that it shored up the overrun midfield but I didn't think we were being overrun and I even thought it led to relinquishing the grip on the game a little.

i await my coaching lessons.........

A happier, not clappy, Vale fan.........FWIW I like the way Pugh has been under the radar as well this week and he has just got on and done the job. I think many of us underestimate his pro career so far so apart from "managerial" experience he is a very experienced professional footballer. I AM NOT ADVOCATING GETTING HIM TO SIGN A CONTRACT TODAY, as some numpty on Faceache did, but he quietly intrigues me as a manager and I just wonder....anyway, we'll see and I'll support/back whoever gets the gig.

UTV

6 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

One thing I didn't get and hope the "managers" on here can help educate me is;

I spotted Rodders was struggling during the first half and it was no surprise when he went off at half time....but why was Burgess brought on? For me we then allowed them the ball too much because Popey became more and more isolated and I was getting  a bit worried until that brilliant pass from Burgess sent Wozza through and at 3-0 I could breathe easy. What are people's thoughts about why he didn't go with Theo up front with Popey? i have heard that it shored up the overrun midfield but I didn't think we were being overrun and I even thought it led to relinquishing the grip on the game a little.

i await my coaching lessons.........

Well, as a "manager" of some nearly 50 years of Port Vale and having "Managed" countless other telivised games from the comfort of my armchair I do believe it was to 'shore up' the midfield.

I was surprised myself that Burgess came on as I thought the 4-4-2 was working well but maybe Danny expected more from Grimsby second half and felt that defending a 2 goal cushion was perhaps more important than trying to get a third and leaving us exposed to a possible (and recently predictable) comeback. 

Thankfully Grimsby, for all their second half possession, never really threatened and Burgess proved his worth with a super pass to Worrall to set up the clincher. 

A very 'Happy Clapper', long way to go with many twists and turns, wins, draws and defeats but as a first game in charge goes, I don't think Mr. Pugh will have done his chances any harm.

In my opinion as a bona fide Happy Clapper of course.

Did ok yesterday. There was quite clearly a game plan. Which hasn’t been too apparent in recent weeks. John smiths it anywhere in defence if under pressure (which we should have reverted to weeks ago) and get it down the flank and in the box. Not overly easy on the eye but simple and effective. Second half change either by necessity or design also worked well. I would say it was by design in all fairness to Pugh. He could have swapped like for like but chose to sure up midfield and go one up front. Only one game but I’d rather watch us battle our way out of this situation then reset and see where we can go than tippy tappy our way to relegation.    Big thing yesterday was points and not concede both were achieved. I’ll not congratulate as no one should be forgiven that easily after the garbage that has been served up recently but it’s a step in the right direction. Expectation now is to follow it up some more gutsy performances. 

Actually one thing I will congratulate is Pugh’s big gamble, 442. I personally think we are shocking when we lose a man in the middle. That said I have said for a while that in these games where  we know that teams will come to defend we need to get at them and score. Once you have done that their game plan has to change then you can swap it round. Bold move and as interim manager but it worked. 

Archived