onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

It was job done today, and a very welcome and much-needed 3 points. I’m not going to go overboard and say it was outstanding as it wasn't, because we were up against the worst team I’ve seen for 2/3 years.

The thing is we have lost against some really poor sides this season today the application was far better.

Advert

26 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

The problem with this question is most of those who are 'always right' simply refuse to answer.
The main reason for this as I see it is maybe that, just in case their choice does get the job, they fail and then they open themselves to the inevitable criticism and ridicule they hand out themselves so happily.

Myself, I don't mind who we appoint, either from within, a rookie, a named manager with years of experience.....As I say, I don't mind - so long as they are given the job for the right reasons and given time by the supporters to have a chance at some success.

Agee with this 100%.  I don’t know enough about the individuals to pass judgment.

sometimes internal appointments work and sometimes they don’t.  Page did ok, Brown didn’t.

similarly bringing in an experienced manager, like Gannon, from outside is not a guarantee of success.

I suspect that it will come down to an individual being a good fit for where we are now and being able to manage within the constraints of the club.

not an easy decision.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

You'd think people could handle a bit of back and forth on a forum without crying. Snowflakes. 

All I will say is that I’m lead to believe Askey had very limited funds to bring players in. Aspin’s budget was far bigger. I know he could have used it better, but just so that you know, all signings were 4th and 5th choice. Anyway, I just want to see the Vale win, onwards and forwards whoever is in charge. 

17 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

All I will say is that I’m lead to believe Askey had very limited funds to bring players in. Aspin’s budget was far bigger. I know he could have used it better, but just so that you know, all signings were 4th and 5th choice. Anyway, I just want to see the Vale win, onwards and forwards whoever is in charge. 

£1.5m I would guess given that’s the cap and we voted not to introduce it as we stated we could afford more.

1 hour ago, Mario said:

The thing is we have lost against some really poor sides this season today the application was far better.

Completely agree Mario. Of late at times we've made Mansfield look like AC Milan and Barrow like Barcelona. Today though, through the application that you mention, we at the very least made a poorish Grimsby look like a..... er, well, poorish Grimsby. 

There are important days ahead of course, but for tonight I'll just enjoy a Vale win

4 hours ago, Rory said:
4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:
That poor team was put together by The hugely experienced Ian Holloway whom several on here wanted as our manager. Experience isn’t everything. Brian Horton used to say he’d had 20 years experience in management but really he’d only had one year repeated 20 times. 

Brian would sort this out.

He's certainly held in better respect than many Vale fans have for him!

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Can I add now that the Sunderland game should have no bearing on any decision for or against Pugh 

Just my personal opinion . But the Pizza Kebab Burger trophy is not a yardstick for our progress .

Forest Green away most certainly is 

I wouldn’t even judge Pugh on the forest green game as I think they’re a good side and we could well end up losing even if we had Jurgen klopp in the dugout. He’s won his first game and that’s a big three points yesterday. If we go on to get positive results against Walsall and Southend (if he’s still in charge then) then that’s a good solid start for him. 
we were far from great today,  but we did the job. I feel that’s a game we would’ve lost under John Askey. So give Danny Pugh credit for getting the players to put a shift in and everyone worked hard. We had a bit of luck today with their offside goal and we had the own goal which wouldn’t have happened under Askey but you create your own luck.  We were in a rut with John and it wasn’t going to change.

Today felt different. So well done Danny Pugh for today and let’s get prepared for Saturday and try get some more points on the board. 

Guest Vale at home
5 hours ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

Completely agree Mario. Of late at times we've made Mansfield look like AC Milan and Barrow like Barcelona. Today though, through the application that you mention, we at the very least made a poorish Grimsby look like a..... er, well, poorish Grimsby. 

There are important days ahead of course, but for tonight I'll just enjoy a Vale win

Yes I agree    I am a Happy vale fan tonight . 

9 hours ago, toyahw said:

Solid but unspectacular effort from us today. Ball ran for us a bit. Deserved win, very welcome three points. This back and forth bickering between certain posters is tiresome for the rest of us.

Hear hear.

And in other news a much maligned and sinking Port Vale gave a good account of themselves and won a crucial game 3-0.

The game seems to of been forgotten somewhat

I didnt see the first 13 mins so missed the first goal but then tuned in and saw a fantastic team goal second finished by Rodney superbly then we defended ok and after a mistake at the back Rodney put wide when maybe he should have at least got it on target ,

Smith headed just past the post and we finished the half brightly .

Second half we didnt get going at all but held our shape and closed down the gaps then scored a undeserved third after defence splitting pass from Burgess sent Worrall through and his ball in was so good there defender couldn't put it anywhere than in his own net .

Then we went mega defensive and got away with a few situations which on another day we wouldn't so at 3-0 I was feeling uneasy but thank goodness we didnt give them a leg up poor side or not they will still be league 2 next season as they did especially second half have way too much of the ball for my liking .

Regards individuals here my Mark's 

Brown 7 good save from deflected shot 

Mills 6 steady hardly any errors 

Brisley 7.3

Smith 7

Montano 6

Worrall 7.8

Joyce 7.5

Conlon 7

Rodney 7.6

Pope 7.7 

Hurst 7.2 

Interim Manager Pugh 8.0 tactically excellent and for the first time in many weeks we did not look like we were going concede over 4 goals ,terrific really that we didnt concede any at all said it all for me when much maligned Robinson come on and was putting sliding tackles in .

A very good start to his job as interim manager and if all the player are willing to put it in for him then great that benefits the Vale greatly so well done all involved as part of the training team Paynter Griffith and Sinclair 

UTV 

11 hours ago, wootter said:

Your all a bunch of knobs 

sorted

bye

ALL mmmm a little bit rude 🙂 anyway no loss.

Back to the game I thought Joyce did ok but got booked early doors by pulling his man back,if playing 4-4-2 i think i would like to see a pacy younger player in there alongside conlon. Also thought Burgess played one of his better games when put in a number 10 role

6 hours ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I wouldn’t even judge Pugh on the forest green game as I think they’re a good side and we could well end up losing even if we had Jurgen klopp in the dugout. He’s won his first game and that’s a big three points yesterday. If we go on to get positive results against Walsall and Southend (if he’s still in charge then) then that’s a good solid start for him. 
we were far from great today,  but we did the job. I feel that’s a game we would’ve lost under John Askey. So give Danny Pugh credit for getting the players to put a shift in and everyone worked hard. We had a bit of luck today with their offside goal and we had the own goal which wouldn’t have happened under Askey but you create your own luck.  We were in a rut with John and it wasn’t going to change.

Today felt different. So well done Danny Pugh for today and let’s get prepared for Saturday and try get some more points on the board. 

If you can’t judge Pugh on the forest green game cos they are a good side you can’t judge him to much on the Grimsby game either cos they were shocking certs to go down 

Archived