onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

Good luck to Danny Pugh who I'm sure will have some nerves or he wouldn't be human.

It's a really interesting game after last week's abomination. How will they react. Worst scenario is going a goal down early doors .

No idea at all on the team as injured players might be back and obviously Mr Legge is suspended again. 

I'm nervously excited but it's simply a must not lose game. Even a draw stops the rot and keeps them at arms length. 

Couple of tricky games to come and then huge games against Scunny and Sarfend at the end of the month 

Will the real Port Vale show their colours today , we will see 

Advert

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
9 minutes ago, For Us All said:
Big game and reminiscent of the home game against Chesterfield a few years ago.
Didn't Pughey score and get a red card in that game?
Vale to win 2-1 again.

That was the one with the free kick that never was as well (from which they scored)

That's right,they equalised and then Ben Whitfield got the winner down the Bycars.

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Interesting to see what the set up will be today.

Don’t think he will change the formation myself just yet as will want to bed in the changes.

Brown

Mills
Smith
Brisley
Monty

Worrall
Burgess
Conlon
Joyce
Hurst

Rodney

Obviously if Gibbo is ready then in for Mills but think Gibbo will be played Tuesday in the pizza trophy for 60 mins or so to start his comeback.

If manny is fit then in for Burgess.

That would be my team. I expect us to win this one as we have most of our key players back. Every team in this league would miss Montano, Conlon and Worrall. Add Gibbons in a week or so and I still believe we have the players available to make something out of this season. Confidence, a bit of luck and having key players available is the only difference between top and bottom in this league. Conlon has been a particularly big miss over Christmas,  Whitehead is nowhere near in any aspect. I understood why we had to go for Robinson when we missed out on Maynard, as there was nobody else unsigned. I thought Askey held on far to long for Maynard but once he did, with Pope's ban pending, I don't think there was much alternative. Whitehead is looking just a very poor signing and I think Dan Trickett-Smith would have done no worse on a lower wage.

Massive game for the lads today, a real six-pointer. Grimsby have already signed Sam Habergham, former Lincoln centre half and will be raring to go under Paul Hurst, who's already put in a bid for Jake Taylor. So it's the young rookie Pugh against the old warhorse Hurst - let's see how it goes.

We really need these points, so best of luck to the lads today. Hope springs eternal - UTV!

Be interesting today.

All the word from the club suggests they would like Pugh to do well so they can give him the job. I had a chat at a social gathering with one of the Shanahans and he was effusive in his praise for Pugh's football knowledge and leadership qualities. 

I wonder if he'll be forthright enough to shake things up, or if it will be an Askey setup but with added gumption.

Grimsby have been as bad as their form suggests. They play really poorly. Holloway has had a bit of a nightmare. Hurst is an experienced manager and seemed to be sorting Scunny out just as he was sacked, but he's been on a bit of a downwards trend. They don't really have any goal threats from open play and concede good quality chances They did sign Filipe Morais who can create goals off set pieces.

With Worrall, Montano, and Conlon starting we should have a bit of the aggression/workrate we've been lacking. Although it's harsh on Hurst, I still feel Amoo and Worrall are our best wide options and give us the best chance of victory. I'd start Rodney as he's the only forward with the potential to do anything, but there's every chance he has a bambi performance again.

Do Robinson and McKirdy get another chance? Pugh still says they're on the market but if we're paying them, they may as well help us win games of football.

Big game today looking forwards to it why I have no idea .

Fresh start for the lot of them (the players ),but will say this a wanted person will give far more than a unwanted person .

Excited for team news but going get up now and have  a lovely walk with gorgeous gf before the game .

Score couldn't care less as long as it as a W by it for Port Vale football club and more importantly a W by it for our outstanding owners 

UTV 

Be interesting to see how we set up today. We could go our usual 4-3-3 or match them up and go 4-4-2, my one concern with 4-3-3 is we’ve been terrible this last few games. Going 2 up top sends a statement of attacking intent in my eyes. I guess the back 4 pretty much picks itself, but from then does Pope start with Rodney in a 2? Does hurst start over Amoo (I think he deserves to). 

6 minutes ago, ItsPricey said:

Interesting to see how we set up today, if we persist with the Askey formation or whether Pugh will change it. I'm hoping for a scrappy 1-0 win. Be interesting to see if there's any managers there today watching the game.. 

He did say he wouldn't change a lot but will bring his own ideas into it

After the last few performances I don’t know if I can watch today  because the manner of the defeats left me feeling so sick. Its not so much the loosing its just the manner of the defeats half hearted lazy and lack lustre. On reflection I may well want to give MP some encouragement as always want the Vale to win. Lets hope for a totally committed performance and three points come on you whites.  

28 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Big game today looking forwards to it why I have no idea .

Fresh start for the lot of them (the players ),but will say this a wanted person will give far more than a unwanted person .

Excited for team news but going get up now and have  a lovely walk with gorgeous gf before the game .

Score couldn't care less as long as it as a W by it for Port Vale football club and more importantly a W by it for our outstanding owners 

UTV 

Almost exactly the same as me you are .

Got some weird sort of excitement and anticipation for today .

It's a really important game with an added edge to it 

Archived