onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

Advert

This feels massive to me even this early. 

Not quite a Chesterfield or Mansfield of recent seasons but defeat absolutely unthinkable.

On Quest last night I'm sure it said that they have won 1 in 10 , so that's an upgrade on our form. 

Will it be benevolent Port Vale again as we usually are a charity to end teams bad runs 

I think if Askey is in charge he may go with this. I’m working on the basis that Gibbo won’t be fit yet, Legge is banned obviously, I’m assuming that Crookes is the one isolating, Conlon will be back after his isolation and that manny is still injured. 

brown

Mills Brisley smith Monty

Burgess Joyce Conlon

Worrall Pope hurst 

It does seem like a 6 pointer to me too!

But how bad is that, when we're still in early January?

Let's hope we have most of our players back and playing. Conlon is available now isn't he?

I wonder if Taylor might be returning? Certainly 1-2 of those lads would strengthen our poor midfield.

We need a central defender desperately. We can't keep playing Mills and if Crookes is missing we are threadbare there. 

It's a huge ask and a long shot but can Gibbons give us 60 minutes? I don't know how far off he is. It would be a gamble fitness wise but half fit he can't do any worse.

People on here are talking about Taylor as if he’s new Messi. Let’s not forget this is a guy that is struggling for game time in an underperforming Scunny side. 

We need an Ian Bogie-type schemer for me in midfield and the “wingers” need to play as inside forwards i.e. playing closer to the lone front man. Of course this then means the full-backs need to provide the width, which will improve with Gibbo and Monty back in the team.

You only have to look at Man Utd to see what a difference this type of player makes... pre-Fernandez absolutely hopeless, with Fernandez potential title chasers.

Without stating the obvious, we also desperately need a centre-back and another forward if we manage to bin off Robinson, Cullen and McKirdy (which seems incredibly unlikely).

My team for Grimsby would be:

Brown

Mills (reluctantly)-Smith-Brisley-Monty

Worrall-Joyce-Conlon

Amoo-Rodney-Hurst

I think Worrall needs to replace Burgess in midfield as a “number 10” as Burgess is currently offering absolutely nothing. Besides, it would be ludicrous to drop Hurst who has arguably been our best player over the last month or so.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I think if Askey is in charge he may go with this. I’m working on the basis that Gibbo won’t be fit yet, Legge is banned obviously, I’m assuming that Crookes is the one isolating, Conlon will be back after his isolation and that manny is still injured. 

brown

Mills Brisley smith Monty

Burgess Joyce Conlon

Worrall Pope hurst 

I'd go with that, we don't have many alternatives, not sure who could play RB from the rest?

6 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

That’s the problem and I don’t think we should be putting Gibbo in just yet. 

Gibbo won't be ready, have we got any youth team full-backs? this is what makes a mockery of what happened with Mitch Clark, although I believe Clark was causing problems?

Amoo could feature somewhere, not a right back but on the right side.

It's a mess

Only positive to yesterday is Woz and Monty got game time which should aid them starting this, add in Conlon will be back and should be fit enough and that’s three changes; if we can get Taylor over the line this week he should be fit to come in so that’s 5 changes to start with as Legge is banned.

Need to attack these so if Gibbons and Monty could be fit for full back and with Taylor, Hurst or Amoo and Woz we should look a lot better.

No Whitehead, No Mills, No Burgess who has really disappointed me this season, no Legge so hopefully a team ready to have a real go.

It’s must win, simple as that. Win that half way point we have 28 points which probably leaves us only needing another 20 for safety.

Hopefully with players coming back we should see a far better performance level and hopefully results to boot.

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

People on here are talking about Taylor as if he’s new Messi. Let’s not forget this is a guy that is struggling for game time in an underperforming Scunny side. 

We need an Ian Bogie-type schemer for me in midfield and the “wingers” need to play as inside forwards i.e. playing closer to the lone front man. Of course this then means the full-backs need to provide the width, which will improve with Gibbo and Monty back in the team.

You only have to look at Man Utd to see what a difference this type of player makes... pre-Fernandez absolutely hopeless, with Fernandez potential title chasers.

Without stating the obvious, we also desperately need a centre-back and another forward if we manage to bin off Robinson, Cullen and McKirdy (which seems incredibly unlikely).

My team for Grimsby would be:

Brown

Mills (reluctantly)-Smith-Brisley-Monty

Worrall-Joyce-Conlon

Amoo-Rodney-Hurst

I think Worrall needs to replace Burgess in midfield as a “number 10” as Burgess is currently offering absolutely nothing. Besides, it would be ludicrous to drop Hurst who has arguably been our best player over the last month or so.

No way I’d play Amoo after yesterday. Garbage.

Listening to Radio Stoke yesterday they were inflating that Taylor wants to ultimately play in league 1 at least so I can't see him joining the Vale any time soon.
Grimsby will definitely see this as a game they can win, certainly if they can score first.
It must surely be time for a change of formation so I'll go for
Brown
Mills Smith Brisley Fitzpatrick
Worrall Conlon Joyce Montano
Rodney Pope.
2-0 With Pope and Conlon scoring vital, vital goals.

Archived